Re: [Hydrofoil] Custom Fit

  • Steve Lingo
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2007
      Hi Steve,

      Don't know that I'd need/want custom fit boots for a sit-on-top foil, but I can see how it might be of interest to you for your stand-up foil.  There are some manufacturers that are making hardshell boot for slalom waterskis (Fogman, Goode, etc) and Connelly also now has boots, though not hardshell, that have a binding release for wakeboards and skis.  In either case having custom footbeds ("orthodics"), or even an off-the-shelf orthodic like SuperFeet, would go a long way to improving your fit and, thus, you control of the board. You'll also find they are much more confortable on your feet, especially on hard landings, because your feet stay put and don't jam forward.

      Since I've received a number of queries from group members about where to get custom orthodics, below is what I've sent them. Note that the SUREFOOT, and probably any other brand, while designed for skiboots, can be used anywhere, even on the water (in addition to my skiboots, I have SUREFOOT footbeds in my hiking boots.  But note that SUREFOOT, or any custom orthodic, is not cheap. So I use the off-the-shelf Superfeet footbeds in most of my shoes/boots. At $25 a pair they're great and last nearly forever. I have them in running shoes and just keep moving the same pair of footbeds to each new pair of running shoes.  I also buy them and cut the fronts off, leavning just the healcup and arch support, for use in my dress shoes.  (this is a MUST if you have high arches or suffer from pantar facitis!)

      If you're a serious, or even a semi serious skier custom orthodics and liners are ESSENIAL. Orthodics first, Liners second if you have to pace your purchasing. If you ask around you should be able to find THE ski shop near you that has the best boot fitter in your area. He/she will use one of several systems to get the job done. But do make sure you check around and have good references from real skiers (racers) before you go this route because a small shop is only as good as THE boot fitter that works there.

      A better way--what both my wife and I (and most of my skier friends) do is use SUREFOOT (http://www.surefoot.com).  You can find a shop in/near most major ski towns and once fitted you get a lifetime guaranteed fit that's good in any SUREFOOT any where in the world.  Over the years my wife and I have had our boots "tweeked" at Whistler, Vail, Steamboat, Sydney Australia, and probably some other place I can't remember.  So that's worth a lot of money to have the capability to just walk in to any shop in the world during lunch and say "hey, I've got a hot spot right here. Fix it." and they do, no charge.  Can't do that using a local shop cuz if your boots hurt when you're in Banff, but your shop is in Dallas, or wherever you live, you'll have to wait until you get home and then try to remember where it hurt, hope they fix it, and then you won't know until the next time you go skiing.

      Cheers,
      Steve
      Lake Anna, VA