Re: [Hydrofoil] Xstar for foiling?

  • Luke Steele
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
      I would look elsewhere.  the XStar was designed for ex-deckboat owners - if your current boat is a pontoon or a Hurricane, then it might be for you.  The pickle-fork bow gets broken often on pilings, a problem exacerbated by the typically low level of driving expertise exhibited by the majority of MasterBote owners.  If you're interested in the Xstar, I would recommend that you look at entry-level I/O runabouts instead.  Oh... and schedule a Power Squadron course.  You'll learn things like how to avoid sinking it on the first day as well as valuable information about things like sea manners and trailer backing.

      Take that, you Vonorheaan trolls....

      skyskimasterou812 wrote:

      I am looking at an 07 Xstar. Is it a good towboat for foiling?
      Does anybody ride behind an Xstar what do you all think?

    • Luke Steele
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
        By the way, here's a review I wrote for the XStar almost four years ago - hope it helps:

        Since our Xstar thread of last week turned rancorous at times, I felt compelled to learn more about the new MasterCraft that has so captivated Mr. Plamondon.  As a result of my research, I now agree with Rob that this a meticulously engineered  piece of  equipment crafted for the needs of the diehard MasterCraft Fan (DHMCF).

        The list of technological innovations is long, but I have noted the most interesting ones here.
        • The tower is constructed of 3" tubing to better handle the additional stress of towing two tubes
        • The area under the driver's feet is transparent so he or she can see while the boat is getting up on plane.
        • The glovebox compartment is sized to hold a 48-pack of Hostess Twinkies.
        • The Starboard bow point is directly in front of the driver:  This rectifies the problem of the boat being in a constant left turn as the driver tries to keep the bow lined up on a distant object.
        • The Hull liner doubles as a holding tank for the porta-pottie under the rear seat.  As a result, maximum wake height is not realized until at least 4 DHMCFs have been aboard eating Twinkies for at least an hour
        • A "wake enhancing" Ex-Lax dispenser is located in the passenger compartment in the event that time constraints do not allow for the normal wake optimization.
        • The "Binding Blaster" is designed to serve two functions:  Filled with Betty Crocker Vanilla Icing, it provides superior binding lubrication as well as a pre-, mid-, and post-run snack.
        • The wake is meticulously crafted to match the size and propagation of the wave generated when the Chief Designer smacks his wife on the butt.
        • The sun platform latches are hidden, assuring service revenue for the dealer whenever the engine has to be worked on or additional life vests are needed out of the rear compartment.
        After my review, I am impressed at the extent of customer consideration employed by MasterCraft in the creation of this evolutionary PWC (Pricey Water Craft).  Does the Hood and Cape  come standard?

      • RAYMANROX@aol.com
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
          The X-Star has my favorite foiling wake. It is plenty big with no balast, but with balast it is quite large. The ramp of the wake is very forgiving, you don't have to hit it perfectly to go huge. It seems to be a little wider than some other wakes, so some may need to shorten the rope length one section. The down side is the fuel usage and it isn't that easy to turn around. I also don't care that much for the tower on the 06, the only one I am familiar with. Hope this helps, and if you need anyone to ride behind it, call me!

           Ray

          See what's free at AOL.com.
        • Cliff Woodman
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
            As colorful and entertaining as Luke's response was, I'll try to cover a few other things.

            First off the X-Star is an excellent choice.  The hull design is exclusive to that boat.  The stern is very narrow and deep allowing for the boat to squat lower in the water thus shaping a larger wake - without the use of ballast tank.  The X-Star has 3 ballast tanks standard that are independently controlled and mounted beneath the floor so you do not loose any valuable stowage space when they are full.

            MC uses a Grid & Stringer construction in the hull allowing for all of the structural support to be below the floor.  This does 2 major things.  1) Makes for a very solid boat.  The motor mounts are made into the 2 stringers that run the length of the boat.  This means the engine has a solid and stable footing.  2) With all of the support below the floor, there are NO bulkheads in the X-Star.  Thus increasing the available stowage space.  You can open the starboard rear hatch - crawl in and go all the way to the bow.  To put that in Hydrofoil terms - A deck with seat tower mounted can fit in either the rear compartments on either side of the engine as well as underneath the observers seat.

            Hydrofoils WILL fit in the standard racks on the X-Star.  SkySki offers a small bracket the mounts to the tower leg to support the T-bar.

            Available space above the floor - with the Pickle Fork bow you can easily put 2 Hydrofoils there or 2 people can COMFORTABLY seat facing forward or facing back (so they can feel like part of the conversation).

            Standard features - the X-Star comes standard with Ballast tanks, Perfect Pass (a.k.a. Marriage Saver), racks, stereo & amp.
            Engine options are many - the MCX 350hp with the new 14 X 14 prop is by far the best choice!  Stay away from the big block.  The PWT is using the MCX with the new prop, even with the Pro ballast systems installed.  As for fuel consumption:  An average day of running you should burn between 6 & 8 gallons per hour with the MCX.

            If you are anywhere near Saltwater, consider upgrading the the SS edition.  It is a pricey option, but IMHO well worth the money in a salt environment - IF you do not take the extra time to clean after your run.  I see it everyday in the service shop.  If you are a meticulous boat owner, then you may not need to get the SS edition.  I little extra attention to cleaning and you'll be fine.  Our personal boat is an X-Star and not a SS edition.

            I hope this helps.  Please call me if you have any other questions or as Ray said - go ride in/and behind one.

            Cliff
            912-258-0432
            "I busted a mirror and got seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five."

            Steven Wright

            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
              IMO, the 205V that used to be the X-Star until 03' I
              believe is the best all around hull design for towing.
              If your into the big wake and monster room, go for
              the new X-Star, but if your into economy with a sweet
              wake without the extra room, go test out a 205V, or
              the X1.

              However, if you want to get more chicks, the X-Star
              always gets the tail.

              Go try them both out, anything from MasterCraft is the
              BEST choice for towing. Don't even get Cliff into
              resale value.

              -- Jake Bradley --
              -DarkSide Hydrofoiling-
              XTREME Team - XTREME Foils
              Mach II - Comp. Edition
              http://www.xtremefoils.com

              Be a PS3 game guru.
            • Rob Plamondon
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007
                I couldn't agree more........

                Rob Plamondon
                rob@...
                IMO, the 205V that used to be the X-Star until 03' I
                believe is the best all around hull design for towing.
                If your into the big wake and monster room, go for
                the new X-Star, but if your into economy with a sweet
                wake without the extra room, go test out a 205V, or
                the X1.

                However, if you want to get more chicks, the X-Star
                always gets the tail.

                Go try them both out, anything from MasterCraft is the
                BEST choice for towing. Don't even get Cliff into
                resale value.

                -- Jake Bradley --
                -DarkSide Hydrofoiling-
                XTREME Team - XTREME Foils
                Mach II - Comp. Edition
                http://www.xtremefo ils.com

                Be a PS3 game guru.
                http://videogames. yahoo.com/ platform? platform= 120121

                Checked by AVG Free Edition.
              • Jim Gallagher
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 1, 2007

                  I have had an 04 X Star, 05 X45 and currently an 06 X-star.  The X-Star is the best boat by far to foil behind.   I have foiled behind most boats and appreciate the nice ramp in the wake and the strong tower.

                  Jim Gallagher

                   NOTICE: The information contained in this electronic mail and any attachments is intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain confidential, privileged, and/or proprietary information. Any other use of these materials is strictly prohibited.  If you have received these materials in error, please notify me immediately by telephone and destroy all electronic, paper, or other versions.  No representation is made by the sender that any emails and/or attachments are virus-free, and are used at the intended recipient's sole risk.  Unauthorized interception of this email is a violation of federal criminal law.

                • Brad Scott
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 2, 2007

                    I know you are having fun with this Luke, but the pickle fork does present a real problem trailering – try taking a sharp turn, and you might stick a fork through your rear window. I’ve actually touched my regular bow to the side of my Suburban taking a sharp u-turn in a motel parking lot.

                    Brad Scott

                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 2, 2007

                      What is it about Correct Craft owners that compels them to always say something negative about Mastercrafts? Could it be that they harbor a latent fear that they own the wrong boat? And why is it that Mastercraft owners can walk up to a correct craft and say “nice boat”? Could it be that we are secure  in our belief that MC makes a great product, as does CC ?

                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 2, 2007
                        What is it about Mastercraft owners that prevents them from recognizing
                        even an obvious (if admittedly feeble) attempt at humor? Could it be that
                        they harbor supressed feelings of doubt about their boats or the ability
                        to dock or reverse anything with a right-hand prop?

                        Could it be that they recognize that real boats are built in Florida (or
                        North Carolina) and that it's a stretch to get anything out of Tennessee
                        that's not covered in metalflake or aluminum siding? And where do they
                        import those models from, you know the ones that have all their teeth - or
                        does the new PhotoShop include a "Restore32" plugin tool?

                        Or is that it's offensive to digress from the "My foil is better than your
                        foil, nyaah, nyaah" arguments that have permeated the group as of late?

                        Heck, I never used the words "Correct Craft" in the previous posts. How
                        do you know I own one - you monitoring those Homeland Security camera
                        feeds or something?

                        Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean people aren't out to get ya...

                        Luke

                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 2, 2007
                          I received a reply offline from someone I respect commenting that I was
                          beginning to sound like someone I don't respect. Can't live with that
                          image...

                          I apologize to anyone who took my remarks as anything other than humor. I
                          assumed that the comparisions I made would be obviously ludicrious to
                          anyone who ever climbed from a I/O runabout into a $60,000
                          tournament-quality boat. Apparently I was wrong, and will refrain in the
                          future from ever saying anything that might be perceived as negative on
                          this group.

                          Luke
                        • Paul Sheck
                          Message 12 of 23 , Apr 2, 2007

                            No problem here Luke. I thought you crafted a very clever reply and we had a good chuckle over it.

                            Message 13 of 23 , Apr 2, 2007
                              Luke, stop it! You're killing me! (No really keep it up, that's some good stuff) "metalflake and aluminum siding"!

                              Greg

                              Message 14 of 23 , Apr 2, 2007
                                And please remember that Luke suffers from a severe case of Mastercraft envy.  He is trapped in a Nautique and seeks to bring all down to his level of misery by finding flaws........:-)

                                David Ewing
                                Do not corner something that you know is meaner than you.

                                **************************************
                                See what's free at http://www.aol.com.
                              • ewingski@aol.com

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Apr 2, 2007

                                    In a message dated 4/2/07 6:40:24 AM, luke@... writes:

                                    Heck, I never used the words "Correct Craft" in the previous posts. How
                                    do you know I own one

                                    See, I told you he was delusional, he has already forgotten his previous "Correct" posts.  LUke, you need to use the pills, they are GOOD for you............

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Apr 2, 2007
                                        Somebody must have just gotten to work. Must be nice....

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Apr 2, 2007
                                            Don't worry Luke - I thought it was hilarious!  Although, the viewing window at your feet could be really cool and even useful for spotting shallow water just before your rider face plants - Give you time to prepare the camera.

                                            Cliff
                                            "I busted a mirror and got seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five."

                                            Steven Wright

                                            I received a reply offline from someone I respect commenting that I was
                                            beginning to sound like someone I don't respect. Can't live with that
                                            image...

                                            I apologize to anyone who took my remarks as anything other than humor. I
                                            assumed that the comparisions I made would be obviously ludicrious to
                                            anyone who ever climbed from a I/O runabout into a $60,000
                                            tournament-quality boat. Apparently I was wrong, and will refrain in the
                                            future from ever saying anything that might be perceived as negative on
                                            this group.

                                            Luke

                                            in 45,000 destinations on Yahoo! Travel
                                            to find your fit.
                                          • Lyle Ramsdell
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Apr 4, 2007
                                              Please remove this email from the mailing list.

                                              Thank you,

                                              ramsdelll@...

                                              Don't pick lemons.
                                              See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.
                                            • Joe Rufiange
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Apr 4, 2007
                                                now why would you want to do that? tons of enjoyment here. if you must, you have to opt out. we cant do it for you. sorry....

                                                ramsdelll@yahoo. com

                                                Don't pick lemons.
                                                See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.

                                                always stay connected to friends.