Delta and hard cases

  • Schumacher, Bryan J.
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2006

      Just want to warn you people flying with your foils in your hard cases – Dominic and I headed to Florida , and got charged for oversize luggage even though the cases were UNDER 50 lbs.  So one would think, that’s not that big of a deal.  But when it’s $100 per oversized case each way, it gets very expensive very fast.

      The person checking us in at Rapid City was new, so I argued with her quite a bit about waterskis being accepted, wakeboards, surfboards.  But she wouldn’t budge.  So I figured on the way back in Orlando we would curb-side check-in and avoid all that mess – no luck.  They had to take everything inside and check-in there.  So basically our trip ended up $300 more expensive and would have been $400 if I wouldn’t have left my stuff in Orlando the trip before at Brad’s house.

      So just a word to the wise, they are cracking down (at least Delta is), so keep that in mind when flying with your foils and deciding on airlines.

      For those who fly with their foils, any words of wisdom for the rest of us to avoid the fees?  When I went down to Orlando the trip before on Northwest, there was no issue since the case was under 50lbs.  (and yes, I did mention that many times to both places, but they just said I may want to stick with Northwest then)

      Bryan

      _____________________________________

      Bryan Schumacher
      Director of Information Technology Services
      South Dakota School
      of Mines and Technology
      Bryan.Schumacher@...
      (605) 394-5102

    • Todd Jones
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2006
        Delta's policies must be random.
        When I flew on Delta a few weeks ago they charged me for overweight.
        The SKB hardcase weighed 69 lbs.
        Charge..... $25
        They got me both ways.
        This is actually only the second time I have ever been charged extra for the SKB hardcase.
        Flown ~ 20 times (10 round trips).
        The other time was on American Airlines.
        So far Southwest Airlines has been the easiest, no questions at all..... yet.

        As far as size I just told them it was sporting equipment.
        As they do not charge oversize for golf clubs, slalom ski's, etc.

        Bryan's hardcase is different.
        His hardcase carries the t-bar, wings & board and he kept it under 50 lbs!
        He puts the seat tower in regular luggage.
        Great setup! unfortunately they found a way to charge you extra for it.

        Delta's oversize limit is 62" - 80" (L+W+H) ...... + $100
        Over 80" they say they won't take it.
        Overweight 51-70 lbs ..... $25, 71 lbs + ...$100.

        The SKB case is actually over the 80" limit (50+20+14).
        So if you run into someone at the Airlines that doesn't like you, or is having a bad day, you might not even be able to take it.

        My guess is the Softcase gets charged less often than the Hardcase mainly because it doesn't look so unusual, bulky.

        tt

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 1, 2006
          Bryan,

          Delta got me last year (Georgia Flyin) on exceeding the weight limit - $25.
          They didn't seem to care about me exceeding the size limit at that time with my hard case.  I told them that it was sports equipment - waterskiing.
          I have heard that if you are a member (I wasn't at the time) of their Delta SkyMiles program  they wave some of the penalties.
          I have now joined their SkyMiles program - I figured that it couldn't hurt.
          We will see what happens this year.

          Rich Peck

          "Schumacher, Bryan J." <Bryan.Schumacher@...> wrote:
[...]

          Check the Hydrofoil Yahoo Group page featuring our own chat room, rider listings & an event calendar.

          chat room, rider listings & an event calendar.

        • Bryan Steele
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 1, 2006
            <<For those who fly with their foils, any words of wisdom for the rest of us to avoid the fees?>>

            Some airlines are better than others with oversize, but in general...here is what we've learned over the years.

            - Curbside is usually better than checking inside.

            - Don't pack all your gear in the big box -- keep it as light as possible and get a separate gear bag.

            - Always try to pick a male attendant to check your bags for you (younger is usually better).

            - If you are travelling with a female, let her check the bags with a male attendant (younger male is better).

            - If you have to check in with a female attendent, pick the youngest female...and try to stay as far away from the older females/males as possible.  I've been question by older attendants working two lanes over.

            The worst case scenario checking in heavy luggage with a 40+ year old female.

            Keep an eye out for attendants that are friendly, fast, not nit-picking other people's luggage, and would appreciate the tip...usually $10 to $20, based on the number of bags/how busy/locations.  Don't be afraid to ask for the tip back if they start charging you oversize - "Say, oh, I didn't mean to give you that $10...give me that back...here's a $1"

            _____________________________________

            > Bryan
            Schumacher
            > Director of Information Technology Services

            South Dakota School of Mines and Technology

            Bryan.Schumacher@...
            > (605) 394-5102

          • Bryan Steele
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 2, 2006

              Hey, you’ve got to have a strategy to get the The Turd on an airplane without oversize charge.

              The Turd + Ski might be just under 50lbs, but it barely fits through the baggage door on the airplane!

              BTW, nice email lag Yahoo…my message below was sent out 24hrs ago…lol.

              Not bad coming from a bloke who doesnt have to worry about the weight of his "CARBON FACTORY" lol.lol

              Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 9:37 AM

              <<For those who fly with their foils, any words of wisdom for the rest of us to avoid the fees?>>

              Some airlines are better than others with oversize, but in general...here is what we've learned over the years.

              - Curbside is usually better than checking inside.

              - Don't pack all your gear in the big box -- keep it as light as possible and get a separate gear bag.

              - Always try to pick a male attendant to check your bags for you (younger is usually better).

              - If you are travelling with a female, let her check the bags with a male attendant (younger male is better).

              - If you have to check in with a female attendent, pick the youngest female...and try to stay as far away from the older females/males as possible.  I've been question by older attendants working two lanes over.

              The worst case scenario checking in heavy luggage with a 40+ year old female.

              Keep an eye out for attendants that are friendly, fast, not nit-picking other people's luggage, and would appreciate the tip...usually $10 to $20, based on the number of bags/how busy/locations.  Don't be afraid to ask for the tip back if they start charging you oversize - "Say, oh, I didn't mean to give you that $10...give me that back...here's a $1"

              > Just want to warn you people flying with your foils in your hard cases -
              > Dominic and I headed to Florida , and got charged for oversize luggage
              > even though the cases were UNDER 50 lbs. So one would think, that's not
              > that big of a deal. But when it's $100 per oversized case each way, it
              > gets very expensive very fast.
              >

              > The person checking us in at Rapid City was new, so I argued with her
              > quite a bit about waterskis being accepted, wakeboards, surfboards. But
              > she wouldn't budge. So I figured on the way back in Orlando we would
              > curb-side check-in and avoid all that mess - no luck. They had to take
              > everything inside and check-in there. So basically our trip ended up
              > $300 more expensive and would have been $400 if I wouldn't have left my
              > stuff in Orlando the trip before at Brad's house.
              >

              > So just a word to the wise, they are cracking down (at least Delta is),
              > so keep that in mind when flying with your foils and deciding on
              > airlines.
              >

              > For those who fly with their foils, any words of wisdom for the rest of
              > us to avoid the fees? When I went down to Orlando the trip before on
              > Northwest, there was no issue since the case was under 50lbs. (and yes,
              > I did mention that many times to both places, but they just said I may
              > want to stick with Northwest then)
              >

              > Bryan
              >

              > _____________________________________
              >
              > Bryan Schumacher
              > Director of Information Technology Services
              > South Dakota School of Mines and Technology
              > Bryan.Schumacher@...
              > (605) 394-5102

            • Garry
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 2, 2006
                Not bad coming from a bloke who doesnt have to worry about the weight of his "CARBON FACTORY" lol.lol
                Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 9:37 AM

                <<For those who fly with their foils, any words of wisdom for the rest of us to avoid the fees?>>

                Some airlines are better than others with oversize, but in general...here is what we've learned over the years.

                - Curbside is usually better than checking inside.

                - Don't pack all your gear in the big box -- keep it as light as possible and get a separate gear bag.

                - Always try to pick a male attendant to check your bags for you (younger is usually better).

                - If you are travelling with a female, let her check the bags with a male attendant (younger male is better).

                - If you have to check in with a female attendent, pick the youngest female...and try to stay as far away from the older females/males as possible.  I've been question by older attendants working two lanes over.

                The worst case scenario checking in heavy luggage with a 40+ year old female.

                Keep an eye out for attendants that are friendly, fast, not nit-picking other people's luggage, and would appreciate the tip...usually $10 to $20, based on the number of bags/how busy/locations.  Don't be afraid to ask for the tip back if they start charging you oversize - "Say, oh, I didn't mean to give you that $10...give me that back...here's a $1"

                > Just want to warn you people flying with your foils in your hard cases -
                > Dominic and I headed to Florida, and got charged for oversize luggage
                > even though the cases were UNDER 50 lbs. So one would think, that's not
                > that big of a deal. But when it's $100 per oversized case each way, it
                > gets very expensive very fast.
                >

                > The person checking us in at Rapid City was new, so I argued with her
                > quite a bit about waterskis being accepted, wakeboards, surfboards. But
                > she wouldn't budge. So I figured on the way back in Orlando we would
                > curb-side check-in and avoid all that mess - no luck. They had to take
                > everything inside and check-in there. So basically our trip ended up
                > $300 more expensive and would have been $400 if I wouldn't have left my
                > stuff in Orlando the trip before at Brad's house.
                >

                > So just a word to the wise, they are cracking down (at least Delta is),
                > so keep that in mind when flying with your foils and deciding on
                > airlines.
                >

                > For those who fly with their foils, any words of wisdom for the rest of
                > us to avoid the fees? When I went down to Orlando the trip before on
                > Northwest, there was no issue since the case was under 50lbs. (and yes,
                > I did mention that many times to both places, but they just said I may
                > want to stick with Northwest then)
                >

                > Bryan
                >

                > _____________________________________
                >
                > Bryan Schumacher
                > Director of Information Technology Services
                > South Dakota School of Mines and Technology
                > Bryan.Schumacher@...
                > (605) 394-5102

              • John Bowman
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 4, 2006

                  Say, oh, I didn't mean to give you that $10...give me that back...here's a $1"

                  You might as well put a giant sticker on the case that says OPEN AND DESTROY EVERYTHING INSIDE Once that case goes down the belt you would be amazed at the pleasure some of ground people at the airline have trying to destroy it.Alot of the people at curbside don't even work for the airline that you are going on.Most of that work is vendored out.
                  John

                  Bryan Steele <bsteele@...> wrote:
                  <<For those who fly with their foils, any words of wisdom for the rest of us to avoid the fees?>>

                  Some airlines are better than others with oversize, but in general...here is what we've learned over the years.

                  - Curbside is usually better than checking inside.

                  - Don't pack all your gear in the big box -- keep it as light as possible and get a separate gear bag.

                  - Always try to pick a male attendant to check your bags for you (younger is usually better).

                  - If you are travelling with a female, let her check the bags with a male attendant (younger male is better).

                  - If you have to check in with a female attendent, pick the youngest female...and try to stay as far away from the older females/males as possible.  I've been question by older attendants working two lanes over.

                  The worst case scenario checking in heavy luggage with a 40+ year old female.

                  Keep an eye out for attendants that are friendly, fast, not nit-picking other people's luggage, and would appreciate the tip...usually $10 to $20, based on the number of bags/how busy/locations.  Don't be afraid to ask for the tip back if they start charging you oversize - "Say, oh, I didn't mean to give you that $10...give me that back...here's a $1"

                  > Just want to warn you people flying with your foils in your hard cases -
                  > Dominic and I headed to Florida, and got charged for oversize luggage
                  > even though the cases were UNDER 50 lbs. So one would think, that's not
                  > that big of a deal. But when it's $100 per oversized case each way, it
                  > gets very expensive very fast.
                  >

                  > The person checking us in at Rapid City was new, so I argued with her
                  > quite a bit about waterskis being accepted, wakeboards, surfboards. But
                  > she wouldn't budge. So I figured on the way back in Orlando we would
                  > curb-side check-in and avoid all that mess - no luck. They had to take
                  > everything inside and check-in there. So basically our trip ended up
                  > $300 more expensive and would have been $400 if I wouldn't have left my
                  > stuff in Orlando the trip before at Brad's house.
                  >

                  > So just a word to the wise, they are cracking down (at least Delta is),
                  > so keep that in mind when flying with your foils and deciding on
                  > airlines.
                  >

                  > For those who fly with their foils, any words of wisdom for the rest of
                  > us to avoid the fees? When I went down to Orlando the trip before on
                  > Northwest, there was no issue since the case was under 50lbs. (and yes,
                  > I did mention that many times to both places, but they just said I may
                  > want to stick with Northwest then)
                  >

                  > Bryan
                  >

                  > _____________________________________
                  >
                  > Bryan Schumacher
                  > Director of Information Technology Services
                  > South Dakota School of Mines and Technology
                  > Bryan.Schumacher@...
                  > (605) 394-5102

                • Chad
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 7, 2006
                    Well my first experience with traveling with the hard case was with
                    United. On my way to Vegas from Denver an attendant at check-in
                    escorted me to the "oversized" line. I was prepaired to get slammed
                    with the additional fee but wasn't ready for the "over-sized and
                    over-weight" fee. I didn't know the rules and packed everything in
                    my hard case, board/seat/bar/wings/all gear. I think it was 86 lbs.
                    They charged me $105 for the trip down, ouch. Well when I came back
                    I did the curb-side check-in, with all gear packed the same, and
                    made sure the Skycap noticed the $20 in my hand when I checked all
                    of my bags at once. That was it, $20 tip to him, no questions no
                    additional fees.

                    -Chad

                    --- In Hydrofoil@yahoogroups.com, "Bryan Steele" <bsteele@...> wrote:

                    > Hey, you've got to have a strategy to get the The Turd on an
                    airplane
                    > without oversize charge.
                    >
                    > The Turd + Ski might be just under 50lbs, but it barely fits
                    through the
                    > baggage door on the airplane!
                    >

                    > BTW, nice email lag Yahoo.my message below was sent out 24hrs
                    ago.lol.

                    > _____

                    On Behalf
                    > Of Garry
                    > Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2006 9:03 PM
                    > To: bsteele@...; Bryan.Schumacher@...
                    > Cc: Hydrofoil@yahoogroups.com
                    > Subject: Re: [Hydrofoil] Delta and hard cases
                    >

                    > Not bad coming from a bloke who doesnt have to worry about the
                    weight of his
                    > "CARBON FACTORY" lol.lol

                    t=ms&k=Sport+nutrition&w1=Sport+nutrition&w2=S

                    ports+nutrition+supplement&w3=Sport+fishing&w4=Water+skiing&w5=Hydrof
                    oil&w6=
                    > Sports+nutrition+products&c=6&s=137&.sig=W6J6q0sWFpX6lul7bzZbEA>
                    nutrition

                    > Sports
                    > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                    t=ms&k=Sports+nutrition+supplement&w1=Sport+nu

                    trition&w2=Sports+nutrition+supplement&w3=Sport+fishing&w4=Water+skii
                    ng&w5=H

                    ydrofoil&w6=Sports+nutrition+products&c=6&s=137&.sig=NxiweGKfdQaJAfy6
                    NsvY8g>
                    > nutrition supplement
                    >
                    > Sport
                    > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                    t=ms&k=Sport+fishing&w1=Sport+nutrition&w2=Spo

                    rts+nutrition+supplement&w3=Sport+fishing&w4=Water+skiing&w5=Hydrofoi
                    l&w6=Sp
                    > orts+nutrition+products&c=6&s=137&.sig=GUEJHnXK6McgYYv-l0i56g>
                    fishing

                    > Water
                    > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                    t=ms&k=Water+skiing&w1=Sport+nutrition&w2=Spor

                    ts+nutrition+supplement&w3=Sport+fishing&w4=Water+skiing&w5=Hydrofoil
                    &w6=Spo
                    > rts+nutrition+products&c=6&s=137&.sig=26xE0v-yZvdxvqzIlDZeAA>
                    skiing

                    > Hydrofoil
                    > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                    t=ms&k=Hydrofoil&w1=Sport+nutrition&w2=Sports+

                    nutrition+supplement&w3=Sport+fishing&w4=Water+skiing&w5=Hydrofoil&w6
                    =Sports
                    > +nutrition+products&c=6&s=137&.sig=JnEzKeHfFLeteuObGhrnsQ>
                    >
                    > Sports
                    > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                    t=ms&k=Sports+nutrition+products&w1=Sport+nutr

                    ition&w2=Sports+nutrition+supplement&w3=Sport+fishing&w4=Water+skiing
                    &w5=Hyd

                    rofoil&w6=Sports+nutrition+products&c=6&s=137&.sig=3bNgDh0WYpYr4CGS2j
                    wNbA>