Re: [Hydrofoil] TN Flyin thanks

  • John Burton
    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 1, 2005
      Okay...okay...I'll admit it !!!
      I'm not very smart...but I can lift heavy things....(;o)

      JB
      ----
      Message 2 of 26 , Jun 27, 2006
        I just returned from another great Tennessee Flyin. Thanks so much to
        Skydog, Sandy, Val, and Rob for putting it all together, once again. They
        make it look so easy, but I know there is a tremendous amount of work and
        hassle. Just a few things they do:

        * arrange for the houseboats, get them out there and back, cleaned up,
        etc.
        * assign rooms. They probably feel like they are running a hotel
        taking reservations, cancellations, last minute changes, etc.
        * registration paperwork - they get most of it early, which helps, but
        it is still a lot to handle for 70 people.
        * arrange the show - that requires hassles with getting all the
        approvals, plus organizing people and boats to pull it all off
        * arranging catered meals
        * arranging gas reimbursements with the marina
        * getting raffle sponsors - this alone is a tremendous amount of work.

        Of course, the reason they can get everything done is that so many people do
        pitch in on site to help. And, the marina is happy to have us since we are
        such a responsible group. I just want everyone to think about all they do
        for us (as do all the flyin organizers), and then continue to do what we can
        to make their life easier - send in that registration paperwork early, help
        the organizers when they need it, buy lots of raffle tickets, and show
        tremendous appreciation that they do so much work so we can have so much
        fun.

        Also, thanks to the sponsors that make it affordable for everyone. Sky Ski
        donated another $1,000 in gift certificates - nice! Plus, about 5 new board
        covers. Also, East Coast Hydrofoil, CinchMax, Nestle Water, Murrays (Gath
        helmets), Foilfreaks.com, Air Junky, Pickwick Watersports (Tige Boats -
        Counts, TN), TNT Boats (Malibu -- Nashville), Boat Works (Mastercraft -
        Louisville, KY), and Sunset Marina. I'm sure there were plenty more.

        The rewards? Lots and lots of smiles! About 8 new riders got up for the
        first time, and many more improved their skills quite a bit. It was so much
        fun watching Emily learn to fly the foil and see her excitement (thanks
        Bryan Steele for teaching). And it was great seeing Mark Stilley progress
        and land line loaded air rolls with great height at 20 mph, then turn that
        into smooth wakerolls. Mark's son Alex may have caught the bug too. And it
        is always terrific have Bryan Steele and Amy in the boat - if you are
        riding, they teach and cheer you on and push you for new tricks or
        techniques - and laugh a lot. It is always fun to meet so many new people
        and to reconnect with old friends.

        There was a wing testing festival too, but that is another email.

        Thanks to everyone for another great flyin!

        Brad Scott
      • Toby Till
        Message 3 of 26 , Jul 5, 2006
          Just trying to get an idea of how many of us there are.

          Steve Landless

          Jake Bradley

          Toby Till

          Who else is out there riding a stand up foil?

          Toby A. Till
          tillbuilt@...
        • ewingski@aol.com
          Message 4 of 26 , Jul 5, 2006
            My daughter, Caitlin Ewing

            David Ewing
            We all get heavier as we get older because there's a lot more information in our heads. So I'm not fat, I'm just really intelligent and my head couldn't hold any more so it started filling up the rest of me!
            That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

          • genoyauchler@aol.com
            Message 5 of 26 , Jul 5, 2006
              Geno Yauchler (on rare occasion)
            • Steve Landess
              Message 6 of 26 , Jul 6, 2006
                Jake Kinnison (Bill's brother) knows how to break one just like me!

                Just trying to get an idea of how many of us there are.

                Steve Landless

                Jake Bradley

                Toby Till

                Who else is out there riding a stand up foil?

                Toby A. Till
                tillbuilt@comcast. net

              • Garry
                Message 7 of 26 , Jul 6, 2006
                  Yep i do

                  Garry

                  Message 8 of 26 , Jul 6, 2006
                    Toby -

                    I'd guess that in the whole world there aren't that many stand-up foilers (at least board owners) since the serial number on my latest Rush Foilboard (the fourth one I have owned) is still below #200.

                    I would have to assume that most of them are in Hawaii, not stateside, since stand-up foiling began over there as an offshoot of surfing.

                    However, I don't know how many stand-up boards that Sky Ski has sold nor Carafino boards Manny has made and sold, but I'd guess not that many...

                    There are also some hobbyists out there!  Last year on Lake Austin I saw a guy riding a homemade stand-up board, constructed from a wakeboard with an attached Air Chair foil...

                    Regards,
                    Steve

                    Message 9 of 26 , Jul 6, 2006

                      Some that I know of here at Canyon and So. Cal

                      Mike Murphy, Tony Klarch, Michael Proud, John Witlow, Charley Sanders, I'll speak to Murphy later today and update. Last year when Charley had his at the Florida Fly-in several people tried it, I mealy held it up as seen on foilfreaks. http://www.foilfreaks.com/photos/gallery/displayimage.php?album=topn&cat=0&pos=1

                      Click to view full size image

                      Message 10 of 26 , Jul 6, 2006

                        Okay, so has anyone tried to use a standup hydrofoil for wakesurfing? I could see it being a bit risky since you could run into the boat more easily, so maybe you would have to stay farther back, but with more boat speed.

                        Success? Disaster? Hadn’t thought of that yet?

                        Brad Scott

                        Message 11 of 26 , Jul 7, 2006

                          Brad - I haven't tried it, but there are two problems as I see it:

                          1)  You need more flotation than that provided by the foilboard

                          2)  With your feet strapped to the board, you don't have the same mobility as when wakesurfing on a real surfboard, thus it would be difficult to maintain balance and position on the wake.

                          Regards,

                          Steve Landess
                          (512) 423-0935

                          From: "Brad Scott" <bradx@...>
                          To: "'Dani Martin'" <insightscc@...>,<steve_landess@...>
                          CC: <hydrofoil@yahoogroups.com>
                          Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 20:23:31 -0400

                          Message 12 of 26 , Jul 7, 2006

                            In one of my conversations w/ Mango Manny he suggested that I try wake surfing w/ my Carifano board. He stated that there is a guy in Florida that is surfing the channels behind large tankers for miles.

                            I have not tried this yet. I am not so sure that I want to do the teak face plant trick yet.

                            I am sure I will have enough BEER one of these days and give it a try.

                            I try and ride the wake on a corner w/ slack in the rope and found success there.

                            Toby A. Till
                            Snap-On Tools
                            Ph. (303) 519-3222
                            tillbuilt@...

                            From: "Brad Scott" <bradx@...>
                            To: "'Dani Martin'" <insightscc@...>,<steve_landess@...>
                            CC: <hydrofoil@yahoogroups.com>
                            Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 20:23:31 -0400

                            Message 13 of 26 , Jul 9, 2006

                              Well I gave the foil surfing a valiant effort yesterday and was only left w/ sore muscles today.

                              It may have been the foil surfing or the 5’ air, going for the gusto, flat chest’d faceplant landing that knocked the wind out of me and made the foil hit me in the helmet. “Man that was my worst crash to date.” The human back is not meant to bend that way. There is defiantly something to learning how to crash. If I would have been thinking I should have just tucked and rotated a little more and it would have been fine. So I will be taking the day off of the water and looking forward to Monday.

                              Back to the Foilsurfing: I have a 196 Nautique and put a 500# fat sack on the passenger side. I could not get my foil to fly at anything less than 10mph. and at that I could not surf. I will try again on another boat that puts out a much larger wake.

                              Toby A. Till
                              Snap-On Tools
                              Ph. (303) 519-3222
                              tillbuilt@...

                              I will give it a go later this week to see if it works

                              Message 14 of 26 , Jul 9, 2006
                                I will give it a go later this week to see if it works

                                Sent: Thursday, July 06, 2006 5:23 PM