Need a few more tips.....

  • Bud & Michaelle
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2003
      Remember your first day on the Sky Ski....Well mine was today.I'm the
      new guy in Blairsville Ga.I ordered a nice yellow jacket rope to go
      along with my new Sky Ski, but had no good handle to go with it.We
      had to cut up an old ski rope to get the handle off it.I pulled my
      friend and he got up after about 5 tries.He got up good but was all
      over the place and never lasted more than about 20 seconds.After
      about 50 pulls with him, it was my turn.Well I jumped in the cold
      water.Then remembered my wallet was still im my back pocket.I was off
      to a bad start.I tried and tried remembering everything on the
      training videos.I'm 6'2" and 247lbs being pulled by a 16ft Cobia
      140hp 4cyl I/O and a 19p prop.I tried everything,making sure my but
      was flush with the seat and everything.I don't think much of the seat
      belt and never did get it very tight.Anyway that's not why I could
      not get up.I finaly broke two ski handles and had to give up for the
      day.Who ever said this takes less pull to get you up on a SKY SKI
      than on Skis.I have skied and knee boarded and NEVER broke a handle
      before in my life,much less two in one day.Ok they were foam covered
      wood but come on.Something is wrong and I need a few more tips so I
      can start having some fun too. Bud
    • Bob "Grumpy" McDonner
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2003
        Hi Bud!

        By now, I'm sure that you have bought a new handle. If it's any consolation,
        I'm 5'10" and weighed close to 240 when I first learned to ride my skyski. I
        KNOW what frustration is about. I now have lost about 30 pounds and have
        almost learned to ride. As for the belt, get one from Lonnie "CINCHMAX"
        Marchand. His are a major improvement over the ones which come on the ski.
        While you are ordering a new belt, you might also investigate his
        "footstays" and a Cinch Release (an absolute MUST). His website is
        Cinchmax.com.
        I have had more than one day like your started off, but look for the
        positives and things will definitely get better. This morning I fell on the
        first four out of five jumps I tried. I got in the boat went and did some
        other things and came back several hours later and hit everything which I
        knew how to throw (not that its that much!) Landed everything!!!! and had an
        awesome evening. STAY WITH IT! It probably took me at least 100 tries to get
        up and ski more than 100 yards.
        Keep all of us informed!

        Bob "Grumpy" McDonner
        Trying to stay seated and Enjoying the flight!

      • hicks_paul@emc.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 2, 2003
          Message
          Hey, Bud.  Keep trying.  My initial reaction from the description provided is that you are most likely attempting to get up on the foil with the experience that you have from waterskiing.  While both sports are similar in that they are at the end of a rope towed behind a boat...getting out of the water and riding are totally different.

          With waterskiing, you are leaning out the back, fighting the extreme drag, but you eventually overcome and get up.  With hydrofoiling, the foiling position for both takeoff and flight are neutral, with your weight distributed between your bottom and your feet.

          Before you even put a rope in your hands, get in position on the foil, put your hands on your knees (thighs), straighten your back, and relax.  You'll float with your tip and head out of the water in a very stable position.  That is the position you want to emulate while getting up.  Now, with the rope in your hands resting low on your thighs, you are all set for a pull.  Your body should be rigid while attempting to get out of the water.  If you don't have slight pressure on your feet, you will wash out the front and sides.  Have the boat roll steadily on the throttle instead of the slalom start.  The ski is wide enough to generate a bunch of lift.  At this point it is important for you to start putting pressure on your feet, while maintaining a straight back.  Do not lean the ski back, that would fight the lifting forces.  Just keep the ski pointed at the boat with your solid pressure on your feet and it will start to plane up to the surface.  Keeping the rope low and controlled over your lap will keep the center of gravity of the pull in the right spot.  If you get your arms extended up too high or out the side, you will not make it.

          When it does plane out, roll your shoulders forward and extend your arms to get the ski down on the water.  Just look at the boat and get used to the feeling.  A good first day involves getting up and taxiing.  After you get the hang of that you can start rolling back to the upright position to gently lift off and then roll forward to set it down.  The goal is to learn the balance of the foil.  Every movement should be small, big movements will be exciting for the boat to watch but not too much fun for the skier.

          Getting up is more of a concept thing rather than a physical thing.  You'll find that by putting pressure on your feet with the rope low and controlled with a straight back, that you'll actually activate lift against the foil and you'll get up with considerably less stress to your body and the boat.

          Keep at it, you'll be addicted shortly!

          Paul

        • danjpohl@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 2, 2003
            Message

            Another hint that I don’t think I have seen is the Deep V Handle.

            This handle is used for teaching slalom ski starts and now hydrofoil starts.

            It allows the tip of the ski to float in the handle and keep you steady for the first seconds of the start.

            Many people have had great success in using this when they otherwise had problems.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 2, 2003
              a boom is also a good idea to start with... that way you don't have to fight
              with the long line.

[...]

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
              109399:HM/A=1564416/R=0/SIG=11ti81skc/*http:/www.netflix.com/Default?mqs
              o=60164797&partid=3170658>

              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egrou
              pmail/S=:HM/A=1564416/rand=269673358>

              Check the Hydrofoil Yahoo Group page featuring our own chat room, rider
              listings & an event calendar.

            • Bob Oliver
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 2, 2003
                Bud, I am 6'3" and about 270 lbs. I come up on my Sky Ski easily, but I
                have been doing it since 1995. If you keep breaking handles you are using
                poorly made handles or you are leaning too far back and no getting any
                lift. I just read Paul Hicks reply and it was a good one to listen to.
                Paul knows what he is talking about. Get a deep V handle for your new
                yellow jacket. Accurate makes and excellent one. Put the V over the front
                of your ski and it will come off when you get out of the water. I have
                taught many riders for their first time. It is more difficult for large
                riders to balance on the ski at first, but it will get much easier. It
                took me about a month to learn to get up consistently, but I had no help.
                The info you receive from the list members will help a lot. We were all
                beginners at one time.
                Another way to learn is with the help of a barefoot boom. With the boom
                you don't have any problem with slack rope and you have an upward pull.
                Towers on the boat and extended pylons are also some help. One warning
                about the barefoot boom. I have had beginners on the boom actually hit
                the boat with the ski. It can cut sideways quickly and hit the boat. I
                haven't had any injuries from that except the boat. The foil and take a
                chunk out of the gel coat.
                Keep trying. Hydrofoiling is the most difficult towed water sport to get
                up and stay up initially. After you conquer the first riding it gets
                easy to do and the tricks you can do on it are amazing. It is a great
                feeling.

                Bob Oliver
              • Lonnie Marchand
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 2, 2003
                  Hey Bud,

                  Keep the faith.  I just read Paul Hick's reply and cannot add a thing to it.  He should be an instructor.  Print it out, laminate it and tape it to your ski.  This will work out for you shortly.  Bob is right about the boom, if you have one.  Good luck my friend.

                  Stay seated and enjoy the flight!