Hybrid in Leeds

  • ally@xxxxx.xx.xx
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 22, 1999
      Good news to those in the Leeds area:

      I've just found out that Hybrid are special guests at Space in Leeds on the 8th October.

      The number is 0113 242 1731.

      Cheers,

      "like Hotmail but faster and a lot better"
      Carol Vorderman, The Mirror, writing about http://www.funmail.co.uk
    • Stuart Bruce
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 22, 1999
        On Wed 22 Sep, ally@... wrote:
        > Good news to those in the Leeds area:

        (That'll probably be just the two of us, then...)

        > I've just found out that Hybrid are special guests at Space in Leeds
        > on the 8th Octobe r.

        Cool. Never been to Space though; the only Leeds club I've been to is
        the Elbow Room, and I'm going there on Saturdays Oct 2nd and Oct 9th so
        I'm not sure I could fit in another trip to Leeds the day before... Is
        it a live performance or just a P/A? I'll be seeing them the following
        week in Newcastle anyway, so might have to skip that one.

        So that people know, Vince's recommendation swung it and I bought "Wide
        Angle" this afternoon. I only just back home, so I'm up to track 3 on my
        first listen, but so far so good... so far so _very_ good actually. Not
        that anyone else on this list will necessarily find this surprising...

        Stuart.

        PS. Hi Vince. Yet another example of the small world... thought the
        Internet was meant to make the world feel like a larger, rather than a
        smaller place?! <grin>.

        --
        Stuart Bruce
        stuart@...
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 22, 1999
          >Cool. Never been to Space though; the only Leeds club >I've been to is the Elbow Room,

          It's new - opens up this weekend :-)

          Elbow Room is good - more of a pool hall though.

          >So that people know, Vince's recommendation swung it >and I bought �Wide
          >Angle� this afternoon. I only just back home, so I'm >up to track 3 on my
          >first listen, but so far so good... so far so _very_ >good actually.

          Brilliant!

          I work for a new media company (we make the websites for Heinz and Hula Hoops etc.) and fortuently we're allowed to play music (rather loud)....I've been playing the album all day - I can't get sick of it!!

          I've also got a few of their remixes (of Alanis Morisette, Itza Trumpet Thing etc.) which are great to play loud!

          lol

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 23, 1999
            On Thu 23 Sep, ally@... wrote:
            > > Cool. Never been to Space though; the only Leeds club >I've been to
            > > is the Elbow Room
            > ,
            >
            > It's new - opens up this weekend :-)

            That'll be another reason why I haven't been yet then... <grin>. I must
            admit to not being too well up on the Leeds scene, until recently I was
            just putting up with York.

            > Elbow Room is good - more of a pool hall though.

            On Saturday the DJs are Jez & Tim, also known as the Utah Saints
            (although they don't use that name at the club so it's more of a
            little-known fact and most people don't recognise them anyway), and I
            like the music they play. Suits me fine, I'm not often seen "largin' it"
            as they have been overheard to say in Da Hood.

            > > So that people know, Vince's recommendation swung it >and I bought
            > > �Wide Angle� this afternoon. I only just back home, so I'm >up to
            > > track 3 on my first listen, but so far so good... so far so _very_
            > > good actually.
            >
            > Brilliant!

            Second listen underway... haven't had much time at home recently though,
            guess I'll have to copy it to MD and take it with me instead. Might post
            a track-by-track comment soon if anyone's interested. Stand-out tracks
            from the first listen were "Beachcoma", "Snyper" and "Theme From Wide
            Angle". Also from the first listen the track I was most suspect about
            was "High Life", not bad as a track but at first it seemed like too much
            of a Bjork-alike. [He typed, then realised he was wearing a Bjork
            T-shirt.]

            > I've also got a few of their remixes (of Alanis Morisette, Itza
            > Trumpet Thing etc.) wh ich are great to play loud!

            Is there a reasonable discography or Hybrid site on the Web? Really
            that's a bit of a lazy question as I should have had a look myself, but
            some people might already be able to tell me where to look (especially
            if there's anyone here who works on web sites as part of their living...
            <cough>).

            Stuart.

            --
            Stuart Bruce
            stuart@...
            music@...
            http://www.atomiser.demon.co.uk
          • Vince H.
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 23, 1999
              > From: Stuart Bruce <music@...>
              >
              > On Wed 22 Sep, ally@... wrote:
              > > Good news to those in the Leeds area:
              >
              > (That'll probably be just the two of us, then...)
              >
              > > I've just found out that Hybrid are special guests at Space in Leeds
              > > on the 8th Octobe r.
              >
              > Cool. Never been to Space though; the only Leeds club I've been to is
              > the Elbow Room, and I'm going there on Saturdays Oct 2nd and Oct 9th so
              > I'm not sure I could fit in another trip to Leeds the day before... Is
              > it a live performance or just a P/A? I'll be seeing them the following
              > week in Newcastle anyway, so might have to skip that one.
              >
              > So that people know, Vince's recommendation swung it and I bought "Wide
              > Angle" this afternoon. I only just back home, so I'm up to track 3 on my
              > first listen, but so far so good... so far so _very_ good actually. Not
              > that anyone else on this list will necessarily find this surprising...
              >
              > Stuart.
              >
              > PS. Hi Vince. Yet another example of the small world... thought the
              > Internet was meant to make the world feel like a larger, rather than a
              > smaller place?! <grin>.

              Greetz, Stuart. Yes, I guess we are 2 of the more loyal Hybrid and
              Sunscreem fans. ;)

              Concerning Hybrid websites, make sure you check out this unofficial one:
              http://users.desupernet.com/halycon/Hybrid/hybrid.html

              Also, www.distinctiverecords.com has an imcomplete one which I'm sure you've
              already observed.

              The latest Hybrid single "If I Survive" contains some great remixes by Way
              out West and Hybrid themselves, that deserve to be given a listen. Just my
              own petty recommendation. ;)

              Vince H.