Hybrid Sticker (was: re: .... And The Charts)

  • ally@hybrid-group.com
    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 3, 2002
      > BTW, did everyone get a free sticker with theirs, or am I special??

      As far as I know...everyone got one :)

      Ally
    • Nick Bower
      Message 2 of 26 , Sep 3, 2002
        >> BTW, did everyone get a free sticker with theirs, or am I special??
        >
        >As far as I know...everyone got one :)

        Yep, there's a sticker with both formats...

        One of mine has now taken pride of place by being slapped onto my
        tuner...:)

        :)

        Cheers

        Nick
      • neil mitchell-goodson
        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 3, 2002
          >>As a frame of reference it sold less than 30 copies on each format >>yesterday ( virgin megastores sales figures alone).
          >
          > How do you know that?

          Well, have a guess which high street record retailer I work for? I rang someone in my old store (it's my day off today!) and asked for the sales figures. Can't be too specific as it may contravene confidentiality clauses in my contract!

          neil
        • Thom Burgess
          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 3, 2002
            Fair play to you mate! Its a shame Distinctive didn't cater for demand-but you never know. Could just be their first major single! Does anyone know if there's a video for it?

            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 3, 2002
              --- In HybridUK@y..., "Thom Burgess" <thb@c...> wrote:
              > Fair play to you mate! Its a shame Distinctive didn't cater for
              >demand-but you never know. Could just be their first major single!
              >Does anyone know if there's a video for it?

              Don't automatically assume that Distinct'ive were to blame...don't
              the record stores state how many copies they want to order?

              ...and I also very much doubt that this will be their first major
              single. This is a limited edition release. Distinct'ive ain't
              ameteurs :) Don't think there's a vid.

              Ally
            • Thom Burgess
              Message 6 of 26 , Sep 3, 2002
                riiiiiiiight. Well like i said its still early days. Distinctive aren't amateurs but neither are they used to massive commercial success which is no bad thing. Just hope it gets the good reviews it deserves.

                Message 7 of 26 , Sep 3, 2002
                  Works like this.....record store product managers have access to singles, tracks etc before they're released (meetings with record companies, pluggers etc). They make a decision about how much they want to order based on previous sales of similar titles, market forces, and any other factors (bulk discounts, returns negotiations etc). Obviously they figured the demand for this single would be small, first week fan based sales.

                  Whoever said this is a kind of interim 'stop gap' release - just to whet everyones appetite before the album, I think they're probably right.

                  Neil

                  ---

                • Nick Bower
                  Message 8 of 26 , Sep 3, 2002
                    >As a frame of reference it sold less than 30 copies on each format
                    >yesterday ( virgin megastores sales figures alone).

                    Not surprising...I think everyone probably went to HMV as they couldn't
                    find it in Virgin!!! It may just have sold out - but I went into the
                    Oxford St Virgin in London (major store) and it had no copies of Visible
                    Noise/Know Your Enemy to be seen - on either format. HMV varied from
                    having the CD and vinyl under their 'new release' section to just having
                    a few copies of the CD stuffed under the 'Hybrid' singles section.

                    Its seems to me that stores haven't ordered that many copies - as they
                    don't think that it would shift that many units like a Chart/pop act
                    would. (plus this is pitched as a dj 2 track release - not a 'proper'
                    release with upteen mixes...) I guess stores can't really make a big
                    display out of a handful of CDs - so ultimately they end up getting
                    squirelled away....for us Hybrid-ites to hunt down :)

                    I wonder how many units of the Cd and vinyl were actually replicated? It
                    would be interesting to hear how limited the release is.

                    :)

                    Nick
                  • Matt A
                    Message 9 of 26 , Sep 3, 2002
                      This is correct, Ally; at least in the US anyways.

                      I work for the largest electronics retailer in the United States. For over
                      3 1/2 years I worked in the warehouse receiving product so I had a chance
                      to see the purchase orders and all that. The way it works is you have a
                      purchaser who basically does nothing more than look at the sales figures
                      for previous releases and orders based on that. If there are no previous
                      releases, you're likely to see only about 1-3 copies ordered for any given
                      CD. It also depends on what area the store is located. For instance, my
                      store had 0 copies of Dusted's "When We Were Young" ordered, however a
                      store more than an hour away from mine had 1 ordered (odd because my store
                      is the largest store in my state, and the store that actually got a copy is
                      kind of in the middle of nowhere). The problem is the corporate purchasers
                      usually don't know ANYTHING about music beyond the sales figures and
                      because good electronic music is never played on mainstream radio in my
                      state (despite it being the birthplace of techno), there's no demand for
                      much of it. Even the larger artists like BT and Underworld get
                      overshadowed by crappy "dance" music like DJ Sammy, Darude, and Kylie
                      Minogue because that's all the radio here plays. Nothing makes me angrier
                      than having a customer walk up to me and asking "Do you have DJ Sammy? It's
                      techno". NO IT'S NOT! It's cheesy, by-the-numbers radio-friendly crap.

                      Another good example is Sasha's album. We actually had 9 copies of the
                      album come in for it's initial release since he's fairly well known here
                      for the Global Underground discs and the Sasha & Digweed mixes. When we
                      sold out within 2 days, we suddenly had a box of 30 on order, just because
                      we sold out so quickly. Now we have an overabundance of Sasha CDs because
                      the few fans who live in the area have already bought their copies and the
                      general public doesn't know who he is.

                      In America it's the fault of both the record companies for not promoting
                      their artists to radio and eMpTyV, and the fault of the idiot corporate
                      purchasers that don't know anything about music outside of what's popular.
                      Look at Moby. He's suddenly become a mainstream artist. Radio stations play
                      his singles, the video channels are showing both "We Are All Made Of Stars"
                      and "Extreme Ways" and people are buying his records. On the other hand, if
                      I tell people my favorite band is Hybrid they cock their heads and give me
                      an odd look.

                      OK, rant over.
                      Matt A.

                      At 01:48 PM 9/3/2002 +0000, you wrote:
                      >--- In HybridUK@y..., "Thom Burgess" <thb@c...> wrote:
                      > > Fair play to you mate! Its a shame Distinctive didn't cater for
                      > >demand-but you never know. Could just be their first major single!
                      > >Does anyone know if there's a video for it?
                      >
                      >Don't automatically assume that Distinct'ive were to blame...don't
                      >the record stores state how many copies they want to order?
                      >
                      >...and I also very much doubt that this will be their first major
                      >single. This is a limited edition release. Distinct'ive ain't
                      >ameteurs :) Don't think there's a vid.
                      >
                      >Ally
                      >

                      >^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                      >
                      >Hybrid news, live / dj dates, interviews,
                      >dj set tracklistings and more at...
                      >
                      >http://www.hybrid-group.com
                      >
                      >^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

                    • Phil Stewart
                      Message 10 of 26 , Sep 3, 2002
                        On Tue, 3 Sep 2002, Nick Bower wrote:
                        > >As a frame of reference it sold less than 30 copies on each format
                        > >yesterday ( virgin megastores sales figures alone).
                        >
                        > Not surprising...I think everyone probably went to HMV as they couldn't
                        > find it in Virgin!!! It may just have sold out - but I went into the
                        > Oxford St Virgin in London (major store) and it had no copies of Visible
                        > Noise/Know Your Enemy to be seen - on either format.

                        I'm not sure how much of a gauge Virgin Oxford Street can realistically
                        be taken as. I've seen that store go from it's highs (good CD and vinyl
                        backcatalogue, the purchase of If I Survive and Kid 2000 on vinyl, etc),
                        to its lows, where all the vinyl has been a squillion copies of Ian Van
                        Dahl's Castles In The Sky and whatever other tunes are lurking in the
                        charts. Not a major dis on Virgin in general though, each shop operates
                        differently depending on it's location, competition, clientele, etc (after
                        I stopped shopping at Virgin Oxford Street I switched to Virgin King's
                        Road :-)

                        > HMV varied from
                        > having the CD and vinyl under their 'new release' section to just having
                        > a few copies of the CD stuffed under the 'Hybrid' singles section.

                        My view on this seems to be that although the release hasn't had any major
                        store positioning (in the two I've been in anyway), what records and CDs
                        they have got have been displayed in fairly prominent locations on the
                        shelves. I've not failed to rapidly spot the now familiar green sleeves
                        with the prominent white logo in both CD and vinyl sections (where the
                        former existed, that is).

                        > Its seems to me that stores haven't ordered that many copies - as they
                        > don't think that it would shift that many units like a Chart/pop act
                        > would. (plus this is pitched as a dj 2 track release - not a 'proper'
                        > release with upteen mixes...)

                        Yeah my inklings about that were confirmed when I got my CD copy today. I
                        was pretty chuffed to see it explicitly labelled up as a DJ CD, cos it
                        kinda embodies both the acknowledgement that CD (and other non-vinyl
                        format) DJing is becoming more widespread, and equally (if not more)
                        fundamentally that some fans aren't vinyl junkies, don't own turntables,
                        andshould be able to get all the tracks that can be got on vinyl. Kudos,
                        Distinctive :-)

                        > I wonder how many units of the Cd and vinyl were actually replicated? It
                        > would be interesting to hear how limited the release is.

                        I was going to speculate, but then contemplated how absolutely meaningless
                        any such contemplation would be. Not that I'm not curious, but I think
                        it's fairly safe to say that Distinctive will have had enough done to go
                        round, and if they have underestimated, then surely they'll press up more
                        :-)

                        As a final note on the entire subject (translation, I'm too lazy to reply
                        to more than one e-mail about the whole thing :-), the stickers thing.
                        Distinctive seem to be well-up on doing stickers, I've had Distinctive
                        Breaks stickers before when I've ordered stuff online from them, and more
                        recently Way Out West stickers. I've not seen Hybrid stickers before
                        though, so more Kudos to Distinctive for using this opportunity to
                        distribute a munch-load of stickers to the fan-base.

                        Personally, I now have a Distinctive sticker on the top of my record box,
                        a WOW sticker on the left hand side, and the recent addition of a Hybrid
                        sticker on the right hand side, with the eventual aim of filling up both
                        sides with more non-identical stickers of their respective groups :-)

                        --
                        >From Phil
                      • Nick Bower
                        Message 11 of 26 , Sep 4, 2002
                          >I'm not sure how much of a gauge Virgin Oxford Street can realistically
                          be taken as. I've seen that store go from it's
                          >highs (good CD and vinyl backcatalogue, the purchase of If I Survive
                          and Kid 2000 on vinyl, etc), to its lows, where all >the vinyl has been
                          a squillion copies of Ian Van Dahl's Castles In The Sky and whatever
                          other tunes are lurking in the
                          >charts.

                          Totally agree with you there Phil. I've found a few obscure gems there
                          in the past and at other times they haven't even got stock of some major
                          tracks that you might automatically expect them to have...

                          Hey-ho....

                          :)

                          Nick
                        • vinnie970
                          Message 12 of 26 , Sep 4, 2002
                            --- In HybridUK@y..., "Thom Burgess" <thb@c...> wrote:
                            > Fair play to you mate! Its a shame Distinctive didn't cater for
                            demand-but you never know. Could just be their first major single!
                            Does anyone know if there's a video for it?

                            eh, RIGHT, have you been following the history of Distinctive in even
                            the last 6 months? Distincte have a FEW other chart-topping artists
                            on board their roster...

                            VH.
                          • Thom Burgess
                            Message 13 of 26 , Sep 4, 2002
                              Eh yea! But remember they still aren't in the same league sales wise as say someone like xtravaganza. Have you seen distinctive single hit the charts in the last 6 months? Its crap like Ian Van Dahl unfortunately which seems to dominate instead which is my point. How they haven't hit mainstream in the UK I think is still cool.
                              You spelt Distinctive wrong by the way...

                            • ally@hybrid-group.com
                              Message 14 of 26 , Sep 4, 2002
                                > Eh yea! But remember they still aren't in the same league sales
                                > wise as say someone like xtravaganza. Have you seen distinctive
                                > single hit the charts in the last 6 months? Its crap like Ian Van
                                > Dahl unfortunately which seems to dominate instead which is my
                                > point. How they haven't hit mainstream in the UK I think is still cool.
                                > You spelt Distinctive wrong by the way...

                                I think you're misunderstanding what Distinct'ive are all about. I don't
                                think their primary goal is to have lots of chat topping artists - they
                                obviously want to sell lots of records, but want those records to be good
                                quality. They seem to be growing quite a bit at the moment.

                                Why did you pick Xtravaganza to compare with?

                                And...I'd rather we didn't get into making "you spelt x wrong" comments.
                                Vince obviously knows how to spell Distinct'ive, it was just a typo. If we
                                started to spend our time looking at spelling, I could point out that you
                                missed an apostrophe after the t, in "Distinct'ive".

                                Ally
                              • Thom Burgess
                                Message 15 of 26 , Sep 4, 2002
                                  WOah easy! If you saw what I'd said you'd have seen that was my point. I chose Xtravaganza because its an extremely commercial label very unlike Distinctive. I hold them in great respect because of that. My point was their chart topping artists won't get the same amount of sales say that a label like Xtravaganza would as they tend to just sign commercial stuff. Which I think you missed.
                                • Nick Bower
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Sep 4, 2002
                                    >I think you're misunderstanding what Distinct'ive are all about. I
                                    don't think their primary goal is to have lots of
                                    >chat topping artists - they obviously want to sell lots of records, but
                                    want those records to be good quality. They seem >to be growing quite a
                                    bit at the moment.

                                    I can't imagine Distinct'ive are after Top 40 domination...that's just
                                    not the angle they are coming from - as I see it. I'd much rather have
                                    just a few underground releases of a damn high quality, rather than a
                                    batch of quickly knocked out releases say every fortnight. Some labels
                                    churn out tracks - it doesn't necessarily mean that the artists or the
                                    label are that great, will be around in a year or so (!) or are as
                                    highly respected as some of the smaller labels who have some good
                                    artists under their wing. Thankfully, after wading past all the pap out
                                    there, there are a few quality dance labels (Distinct'ive are one of
                                    these in my opinion) who keep their releases to a minimum - taking their
                                    time and only launching pretty damn solid tracks....generally which have
                                    been aired on the better underground dance floors around the world
                                    beforehand. Nine times out of ten these are eagerly lapped up by a loyal
                                    and enthusiastic fanbase and pick up some new converts along the
                                    way....everybody is happy.

                                    In the past I've known people buy pretty much all that comes out on a
                                    particular label before - without necessarily having heard a track prior
                                    to handing over their cash...purely based on the label's good pedigree.
                                    Brave? Stupid? Or just knowing a good investment when they see it?

                                    :)

                                    Cheers

                                    Nick
                                  • Thom Burgess
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Sep 4, 2002
                                      EXACTLY! lol. Believe me as a DJ i love discovering new labels. Maurice " feline "
                                      still has to be the best vinyl in collection.
                                      (sigh)

                                      <snip>
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Sep 4, 2002
                                        On Wed, 4 Sep 2002 ally@... wrote:
                                        > And...I'd rather we didn't get into making "you spelt x wrong" comments.
                                        > Vince obviously knows how to spell Distinct'ive, it was just a typo. If we
                                        > started to spend our time looking at spelling, I could point out that you
                                        > missed an apostrophe after the t, in "Distinct'ive".

                                        Heck, even Distinct'ive don't always get it right - the copyright on the
                                        back of the VN / KYE sleeve (both CD and vinyl) has the apostrophe in the
                                        wrong place :-)

                                        There again, the apostrophe doesn't seem existant at all in the actually
                                        Distinct'ive Breaks logo. That, combined with my inherent laziness, is why
                                        I tend to leave the apostrophe out altogether most of the time.

                                        --
                                        From Phil
                                      • maksidrom
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Sep 4, 2002
                                          Ally, it's "chart topping", btw, hehehehe
                                          just kidding!

                                          But seriously... if Distinctive are all primarily about quality why
                                          do they keep releasing these sad CIN chart eligible edited singles? I
                                          have stopped buying WOW UK releases because of that preferring to
                                          score Asian or Aussie releases on ebay instead.

                                          I'd rather pay 4.99 GBP for a single but get all full length mixes
                                          and tracks and not some poorly circumsised versions for 2.99 or less.
                                          Their chart tally has been very unimpressive as of recent anyway...
                                          and now I read that the new Y4K series beckons with Dub Pistols in
                                          hopes to improve the fortunes...

                                          cheers,
                                          maksidrom

                                          --- In HybridUK@y..., <ally@h...> wrote:
                                          I think you're misunderstanding what Distinct'ive are all about. I
                                          don't
                                          > think their primary goal is to have lots of chat topping artists -
                                          they
                                          > obviously want to sell lots of records, but want those records to
                                          be good
                                          > quality. They seem to be growing quite a bit at the moment.
                                          >
                                          > Ally
                                        • Arvind Sharma
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Sep 4, 2002
                                            > But seriously... if Distinctive are all primarily about quality why
                                            > do they keep releasing these sad CIN chart eligible edited singles

                                            That's a pretty valid point. I think I've mentioned this before; probably my
                                            favourite label in all the world, Soma, are another label who put quality
                                            before chart success. But when Funk D'Void 's 'Diabla' became a massive
                                            underground hit last year, with some folk saying it could become the biggest
                                            techno hit since 'Knight's of the Jaguar', Soma still put out a CD single
                                            with 7 full length mixes, a radio-edit, and a video (all for £3.99 btw . .
                                            .), so with over 50mins of music, it was kinda outside the required
                                            limit.Yet it still managed to go Top 75, such was its popularity. I don't
                                            see why other record labels can't forego the remote possibilty of chart
                                            success for a complete mix package on one CD, when releasing tracks with
                                            limited chart potential

                                            (is that saying the same thing twice in one sentence? pfft . . . it's late,
                                            and Gilles Peterson's on. My mind's elsewhere)

                                            :)

                                            Arv.
                                          • Thom Burgess
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Sep 5, 2002
                                              Same here

                                              Message 22 of 26 , Sep 5, 2002
                                                Yea, they have appeared in the charts in the last 6 months..altho it
                                                was at the tail end.

                                                You failed to notice that I spelled Distinctive correctly the first
                                                time. The second incorrect spelling was a typo, FYI.

                                                VH.

                                                --- In HybridUK@y..., "Thom Burgess" <thb@c...> wrote:
                                                > Eh yea! But remember they still aren't in the same league sales
                                                wise as say someone like xtravaganza. Have you seen distinctive
                                                single hit the charts in the last 6 months? Its crap like Ian Van
                                                Dahl unfortunately which seems to dominate instead which is my point.
                                                How they haven't hit mainstream in the UK I think is still cool.
                                                > You spelt Distinctive wrong by the way...
                                                >
                                                > >eh, RIGHT, have you been following the history of Distinctive in
                                                even
                                                > >the last 6 months? Distincte have a FEW other chart-topping
                                                artists
                                                > >on board their roster...
                                                > >
                                                > >VH.
                                              • propellerheadcase
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Sep 5, 2002
                                                  Yet the hybrid group has coming up for 10,000 posts, surely a chat
                                                  topper :-p

                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Sep 6, 2002
                                                    Whooooops!! :D

                                                    Ally