Re: Wide Angle promo- is this rare?

  • Vince H.
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 7, 1999
      > Got a 5-track promo for "Wide Angle" through the post this morning. I'd
      > ordered it cheap and I expected it just to be 5 extracts from the full
      > album, but surprisingly, it's quite different.
      >
      > The five tracks are:
      >
      > "Altitude"- a nearly-five-minute version. I recognised this as I found
      > it on that Musik compilation CD, but it sounds likely a slightly
      > different version unless I'm mistaken.

      hmm..."Altitude" was released on a Distinctive promo late last year, and
      it's about 6 minutes and 25 seconds. I'm assuming you got the edit of it.
      The version on the promo I have is void of any orchestral arrangements,
      however.

      > "Beachcoma"- the album version, fades out after nearly five minutes,
      > unmixed-into-anything at the start, which makes it nice as a stand-alone
      > track but otherwise nothing expected.
      >
      > "Kill City"- begins with the orchestral opening (track 1 from the album)
      > and then breaks into a brand new track I've not heard before! Total
      > running time is nearly five minutes. It's great as well- Hybrid doing a
      > big rave thing at the end (all instrumental). Quality stuff, must hear!

      Ahh...the infamous promo rears it's head again. ;) "Kill City" was on the
      flip-side of the "Altitude" promo I mentioned above. Clocking in at 6
      minutes, 6 seconds, it is one of Hybrid's darkest pieces. Again, no sign of
      any orchestra on this, as it was meant for DJ's only. :)

      > "Experiment IV"- it only gets better and better. A brand new (to me)
      > vocal track (with a female vocalist, _not_ Julee Cruise) singing a great
      > track, with Apollo 440-esque guitar, Space Brothers-esque high moments,
      > great drum programming (as you'd expect). Lyrical example: "and they
      > told us what they wanted was a sound that could kill someone from a
      > distance, so we go ahead and the meters are over in the red". If this
      > had been on "Wide Angle" it would have been a stand-out track- I love
      > it. Yet again, nearly five minutes.

      NOW you've got me curious! It's quite frustrating that I may never get the
      chance to hear this one (or the next) due to the fact that it's (most
      likely) quite rare.

      > "Gospel"- would you believe it, nearly five minutes again. This one is
      > an alternative version of "Theme From Wide Angle", with a different
      > (slightly longer) intro, but otherwise sounding pretty much the same
      > until it fades out from about 4:40.
      >
      > So, is this old news to everyone or what? Why wasn't I informed about
      > these tracks?! ;-)

      Well, some of it's old, some of it new, and you have to promise us all that
      you'll mp3 those rarities for us! ;) I have an mp3 encoder if you're in
      need....

      Vince H.

    • Ally Shuttleworth
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 7, 1999
        I know where ya live Stuart!

        Watch your back - you could end up losing that! ;-)

        Ally
      • Ally Shuttleworth
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 7, 1999
          >Well, some of it's old, some of it new, and you have to promise us all >that you'll mp3 those rarities for us! ;)

          Oh, ppppplllllleeeeaaaaassssseeeeeee do!!

          Ally
        • Stuart Bruce
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 7, 1999
            On Tue 07 Dec, Vince H. wrote:
            > From: "Vince H." <vinnie97@...>
            >
            > > Got a 5-track promo for "Wide Angle" through the post this morning.
            > > I'd ordered it cheap and I expected it just to be 5 extracts from
            > > the full album, but surprisingly, it's quite different.
            > >
            > > The five tracks are:
            > >
            > > "Altitude"- a nearly-five-minute version. I recognised this as I
            > > found it on that Musik compilation CD, but it sounds likely a
            > > slightly different version unless I'm mistaken.
            >
            > hmm..."Altitude" was released on a Distinctive promo late last year,
            > and it's about 6 minutes and 25 seconds. I'm assuming you got the
            > edit of it. The version on the promo I have is void of any orchestral
            > arrangements, however.

            This version (4:51) does just seem to be an edit- literally a faded-out
            version- of the 6-minutes-ish version from the Musik compilation. What I
            said about it earlier about there being differences was wrong; just an
            initial reaction.

            > > "Kill City"- begins with the orchestral opening (track 1 from the
            > > album) and then breaks into a brand new track I've not heard before!
            > > Total running time is nearly five minutes. It's great as well-
            > > Hybrid doing a big rave thing at the end (all instrumental). Quality
            > > stuff, must hear!
            >
            > Ahh...the infamous promo rears it's head again. ;) "Kill City" was on
            > the flip-side of the "Altitude" promo I mentioned above. Clocking in
            > at 6 minutes, 6 seconds, it is one of Hybrid's darkest pieces. Again,
            > no sign of any orchestra on this, as it was meant for DJ's only. :)

            This'll be a very different version then, since it starts with the
            _entire_ track 1 from "Wide Angle" before breaking into what I must
            assume was going to be the album version of "Kill City". Total running
            time is 4:58, although it does fade out.

            I would guess that since, at 76 minutes, "Kill City" may have simply
            been dropped for space reasons, in favour of "If I Survive".

            > > "Experiment IV"- it only gets better and better. A brand new (to me)
            > > vocal track (with a female vocalist, _not_ Julee Cruise) singing a
            > > great track, with Apollo 440-esque guitar, Space Brothers-esque high
            > > moments, great drum programming (as you'd expect). Lyrical example:
            > > "and they told us what they wanted was a sound that could kill
            > > someone from a distance, so we go ahead and the meters are over in
            > > the red". If this had been on "Wide Angle" it would have been a
            > > stand-out track- I love it. Yet again, nearly five minutes.
            >
            > NOW you've got me curious! It's quite frustrating that I may never
            > get the chance to hear this one (or the next) due to the fact that
            > it's (most likely) quite rare.

            I'm guessing, but in this case I'd suspect that this track was dropped
            because they wanted to keep Julee Cruise as the only vocalist on the
            album (and basically install her as a permanent member of the band). So
            this mysterious vocalist remains unnamed?...

            A shame, because it really is a fantastic track.

            Stuart.

            --
            Stuart Bruce
            stuart@...
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 7, 1999
              On Tue 07 Dec, Ally Shuttleworth wrote:
              > From: "Ally Shuttleworth" <ally@...>
              >
              > > Well, some of it's old, some of it new, and you have to promise us
              > > all >that you'll m p3 those rarities for us! ;)
              >
              > Oh, ppppplllllleeeeaaaaassssseeeeeee do!!

              Well, if you needed another incentive to arrange buying me a drink,
              maybe that could be it I guess. :-)

              Stuart.