Re: [Hybrid] Sasha's album

  • ally@hybrid-group.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 3, 2002
      > It may not be 'cutting new ground' if you are LOOKING to be a harsh
      >critic, but it is new ground just by nature of its existence, the way it
      >fills a missing niche in electronic music. You will know what I mean when
      >you hear it.

      I agree. One problem with being successful is that people have a lot of
      expectations of you for the next album. I think this is a big one for Hybrid
      too.

      How many of you have strong preconceptions of what the new Hybrid album will
      sound like? Be honest...

      I know that a good number of you will have a moan if it hasn't got as many
      breaks as you'd like...some will moan if there's not enough strings...some
      will moan if it's too progressive. They can't really win...nor can any band
      or artist that has been placed on a pedestal.

      We might as well give artists a little rule book for when they make a new album / tune...

      "Dear Hybrid,

      Rule 1: Progressive, but not too progressive please
      Rule 2: Add some nice breaks
      Rule 3: A few strings wouldn't go amiss
      Rule 4: Break new ground, but be careful to still
      do the above.

      Beware: Straying from these rules will results in instant
      criticism and questioning of your talent.

      Thanks."

      Personally, I don't care whether Sasha'a album breaks new ground or
      not...I'd be happy with just liking it.

      I'm not having a go at anyone really, I just get frustrated sometimes with comments that I think are a little narrowminded :/

      Ally
    • Ben Smith
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 3, 2002
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 3, 2002
          Sasha's album might as well be an album by Charlie May/Andy Page, to
          be honest. His analogue synthwork can be heard through a good portion
          of it...I find it to be a bit dull, cold and mechanical at
          times...that's not to say there are some standout tracks ("Cloud
          Cuckoo"). Overall, it's a bit boring.

          I don't really care what STYLE Hybrid do, btw...they just need to
          vary the way they structure their tracks...it's become really
          tiring...as "progressive" as Visible Noize is, it still contains the
          standard Hybrid breakdown in the middle, trademark synth arpeggios
          and breakbeat trickery in the outro that they've always done
          before...ok, so they've made a more tame track for the prog dj, but
          that's the extent of what "Visible Noize" has to offer for the
          listener.

          ATM, the Layo/Bushwacka! and Ils albums are doing it for me, as if
          anyone cares. lol

          VH.
        • ally@hybrid-group.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 4, 2002
            Oh dear, once again, I find myself disagreeing with Vince :(

            > Sasha's album might as well be an album by Charlie May/Andy Page,
            > be honest. His analogue synthwork can be heard through a good
            portion
            > of it...I find it to be a bit dull, cold and mechanical at
            > times...that's not to say there are some standout tracks ("Cloud
            > Cuckoo"). Overall, it's a bit boring.

            I think it's got a lot of emotion in it. I'm not a very big Sasha fan at all, a lot of his stuff does bore me...so I wasn't expecting to be blown away by the new album. But, I'm pleasantly suprised. It does remind me of BT's Ima...it's very relaxing and well, pretty...lol. I like it a lot.

            > I don't really care what STYLE Hybrid do, btw...they just need to
            > vary the way they structure their tracks...it's become really
            > tiring...as "progressive" as Visible Noize is, it still contains
            the
            > standard Hybrid breakdown in the middle....
            <snip>

            I don't think we were expecting you to like Visible Noize, Vince. I'd actually
            be more worried if you did like it ;)

            Ally
          • s_lobo_2
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 4, 2002
              I'm gonna agree with Vinnie here, it seems that Hybrids latest
              tunes/remixes seem to follow the same formulae, I'm reffering
              directly to Visible Noize, Everything in it's right place and a few
              other new tracks (can't think of them right now). It seems these
              songs follow exactly the same formulae:

              "generally progressive, standard Hybrid breakdown in the middle,
              trademark synth arpeggios and breakbeat trickery in the outro"

              Not that I'm complaining, I generally like this style (although
              Visible Noize sounds pretty flat), but thought I'd back up Vinnie
              here.

              Hybrids remix of JC+SK's I Love You is an obvious exception, very
              varied!

              Simon.

              --- In HybridUK@y..., "vinnie970" <vinnie970@y...> wrote:
              > I don't really care what STYLE Hybrid do, btw...they just need to
              > vary the way they structure their tracks...it's become really
              > tiring...as "progressive" as Visible Noize is, it still contains
              the
              > standard Hybrid breakdown in the middle, trademark synth arpeggios
              > and breakbeat trickery in the outro that they've always done
              > before...ok, so they've made a more tame track for the prog dj, but
              > that's the extent of what "Visible Noize" has to offer for the
              > listener.
              >
              > ATM, the Layo/Bushwacka! and Ils albums are doing it for me, as if
              > anyone cares. lol
              >
              > VH.
            • propellerheadcase
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 4, 2002
                ILS 'No Soul' (the only track I've heard so far) is effin' great, the
                only Bushwacka! thing to inspire me, thus far, is the Michael Jackson
                remix, as if YOU care :-p

                --- In HybridUK@y..., "vinnie970" <vinnie970@y...> wrote:
                ATM, the Layo/Bushwacka! and Ils albums are doing it for me, as if
                anyone cares. lol
              • Jason Fransella
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 4, 2002
                  Layo & Bushwacka! is nice. Ils didn't impress me. I might have been
                  over expectant after 'next level'. Maybe I'll go back and listen to it.
                  I'm really digging the Royksopp album right now, and I've been trying to
                  track down more fc kahuna stuff. A couple of felix the house kat's
                  tracks are getting my ear recently too. He's definitely changed up his
                  style. Aquasky vs Masterblaster album is worth a listen. I need to
                  listen to it some more. Not breaking any new ground there I don't
                  think, and it doesn't have the aural depth of most of the stuff I've
                  been listening to recently, but it's got some decent party vibes on it.

                  I'm really digging sasha's new album myself... It's not a dance album,
                  and that seems to have a lot of people disappointed. But sasha himself
                  said it wasn't going to be; that he was going to take advantage of his
                  album to do stuff that wasn't specifically what people expected out of
                  his dance floor remixes.

                  I listen to a lot of different music all day, working and in my free
                  time. I keep my player on random, and take it off random when I hit
                  something I want to hear more of... lately that's been royskopp, layo &
                  bushwacka, & sasha.