Re: [Hybrid] Donna Summers - I Feel Love

  • Arvind Sharma
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 3, 2002
      Heard the Rollo & Sister Bliss mix a couple of weeks ago - didn't like it
      much.

      I know Seb Fontaine's been playing a new mix from some DJ in Hungary (I
      think).
      His name escapes me, but the mix is faster, with a heavier beat, but
      otherwise not much has been changed.
      I like :)

      Arv.

      > or there's a Rollo&Sister Bliss mix... seem to remember it was quite funky
    • Chaos Plot
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 3, 2002
        Just got my hand on the new Rob Dougan CD and I find
        it rather good. I prayed for his orchestral
        arrangements to shine through and my prayers were
        answered. Each of the 14 tracks displays a unique,
        almost vibrant soundtrack feel to them which is a
        plus.

        I find Dougan's vocals to be complementative to the
        music itself, but I wasn't expected him to sing on
        virtually every track except the obvious Clubbed to
        Death Matrix/Kurayamino Variations and Clubbed 2 Death
        2 version.

        I am interested in remixes of these other album
        tracks, and in some way hope the remix producers build
        the remix around the music which is amazing and focus
        less on the vocals.

        Dougans vocals are a smokey/grit mixture of Tom
        Jones-meets-Tom Waits-meets a sober ex Pogues Shane
        McGowan in a dark alley thing..

        What does everyone else think, assuming it has been
        heard or purchased??
      • Daniel
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 4, 2002
          i didn't think about Vanessa-mae. Thanks for that

          > On the same '95 release as the Rollo & Sister Bliss mix (kinda funky
          > but not breaky, and not ground-breaking) there's a Masters @ Work Mix
          > (which is quite staccato-y in the rhythm area, not the usual smooth
          > latin/jazz/funk sound at all) - another point would be to check for
          > mixes of the Vanessa-Mae version of 'I Feel Love' as, barring the
          > violin solo, it's VERY similar to the original (I only have the
          > original, KlubbHeads Vs. Rollercoaster and D-Bop mixes which I'm sure
          > won't be what you're after ;)
        • Nick Bower
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 4, 2002
            Hmmm, my review of the album is slightly different....

            Picked up a promo of the album a while back and I really wanted to like
            it...I really did.....and I know a lot of people will disagree with me
            over what I say...

            I LOVE 'Clubbed to Death' - I've loved it for years. Though its not that
            I wanted an album full of 'Clubbed to death', not at all...its just that
            Rob D's vocals to me are so harsh in a 'Chris Rea - too many fags and
            late nights' style that it makes me skip over 95% of tracks !!! I find
            it hard to take his voice seriously....

            'Furious Angels' I can just about listen to and of course there's
            'Clubbed to Death'. However, I think one of the outstanding tracks on
            the album for me has to be 'Instrumental' - a completely orchestral
            track - and it's a very moving arrangement indeed. (Shock! Nick likes
            something that's not dirty, breaky and progressive!) ;)

            Anyway, I like to think that albums can grown on you. Its happened to me
            so many times before. So I'me going to hang in there with this one, keep
            it in my pile of currently played cd's and see if it can work some magic
            on me...

            :)

            Cheers

            Nick
          • propellerheadcase
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 4, 2002
              On furious Angels (the only vocal track I've heard) I thought he
              sounded a lot like Chris Rea, actually, but then it's been a while
              since I listened to that track.

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 4, 2002
                How could you not? She's lovely ;-)

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 4, 2002
                    Maybe that has something to do with it!! Heheheh

                    :)

                    Nick

                    >Whereas I LIKE Chris Rea ;-D
                    >
                    >--- In HybridUK@y..., "Nick Bower" <nick.bower@c...> wrote:
                    >...its just that Rob D's vocals to me are so harsh in a 'Chris Rea -
                    >too many fags and late nights' style that it makes me skip over 95%
                    >of tracks !!! I find it hard to take his voice seriously....
                  • Matt A
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 4, 2002
                      I have to agree. His vocals are a little strange at times (especially in
                      "I'm Not Driving Anymore"), but in all the songs, the music is just
                      beautiful. Thankfully, there's instrumental versions of the tracks where
                      his vocals are a little to coarse for my tastes on various promos. "Nothing
                      At All" is just a beautiful track (although it reminds me quite a bit of
                      Faithless' "Evergreen" from their last record) and it's a great example of
                      how his voice really works well with his music (for the most part).

                      Matt A.

                      At 06:47 PM 7/3/2002 -0700, you wrote:
                      >Just got my hand on the new Rob Dougan CD and I find
                      >it rather good.

                      <snip>