RE: [Hybrid] OT: Apple acquires Emagic

  • John Royle
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 2 8:08 AM
      > i think its one of the worst moves apple could make.. seeing as 45% of
      > emagics buisness is from pc users.. and the fact that they wont support pc

      > users after spet 30th.. especially since they just released 5.0 bundled
      with
      > hardware.. that was well over 1000 bux...

      yes, but when you think that the amount of time & money people have invested
      in Logic Audio, people are going to be very reluctant to switch to a new
      piece of software. I know only too well how many months, if not years, it
      can take to master a piece of s/ware like logic audio, and couple that with
      the hardware people have bought... what are a lot of PC music users going to
      do??.... buy a Mac. Especially if Apple offer a free exchange of Logic 5 PC
      to Logic 5 Mac, it'll be a much cheaper option for people to just by a Mac
      to run it on. Quite clever really, but a definite pain in the ass for us PC
      users.
    • Ben Smith
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 2 8:11 AM
        > i think its one of the worst moves apple could make.. seeing as 45% of
        > emagics buisness is from pc users.. and the fact that they wont support pc
        > users after spet 30th.. especially since they just released 5.0 bundled
        with
        > hardware.. that was well over 1000 bux...
        >
        > out of spite it will be a huge f&^k you... and people will rebel... the
        ony
        > other logical choice will be cubase sx.. so steinberg must be loving
        apples
        > retardedness on this move
        >
        > friggin wackintosh.. what a bunch of boneheads

        So they've removed the one thing that stops Logic users working exclusively
        on the mac, forcing people who have to use logic to use the mac, sounds like
        good business sense to me. Alternatively, go get OSX.
      • Jason Fransella
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 2 9:29 AM
          Yes, but the pc users being 45%, that's almost half their user base.
          Good business sense that hits customers in the pocketbook alienates
          customers. And you're looking at a move that affects half of your
          customers.

          Then again, what does apple care. They can absorb the loss of pc
          customers easily. And seeing as how logic audio is one of the premiere
          audio software packages in used, it just makes for one more reason for
          audio professionals to move over to Apple.

          Good corporate decision, but thanks Apple for looking out for "caring"
          about the current customers.

          Jason

          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 2 10:33 AM
            > Yes, but the pc users being 45%, that's almost half their user base.
            > Good business sense that hits customers in the pocketbook alienates
            > customers. And you're looking at a move that affects half of your
            > customers.
            >
            > Then again, what does apple care. They can absorb the loss of pc
            > customers easily. And seeing as how logic audio is one of the premiere
            > audio software packages in used, it just makes for one more reason for
            > audio professionals to move over to Apple.
            >
            > Good corporate decision, but thanks Apple for looking out for "caring"
            > about the current customers.

            This sort of 'business' is hardly the preserve of Apple tho, I think they
            are finally realising that to keep hold of their traditional markets they
            will have to act exactly like Microsoft do. To balance things out, Microsoft
            could always just buy out Digi and cut Apple support heh.
          • P a l i v a c i n n i
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 2 10:37 AM
              I don't think this decision makes sense at all for a couple reasons. First
              of all, absolutely no market is being created here. All they are doing is
              destroying their PC market and leaving the Apple market essentially the
              same. Now it's theoretically possible that the increase in Apple users, who
              will be forced to buy other Apple products when they switch, will offset the
              loss of the PC-using Emagic market, but with nearly half of Emagic's current
              market using PCs, I think that's wishful thinking... not enough users will
              convert to Mac.

              Here's why: current PC Emagic users are going to have to decide which
              loyalty is greater, PC or Emagic. One of those will have to change. Logic
              audio has always been available on the Macintosh, so there aren't any Apple
              enthusiasts forced to use a PC because they love Logic that much. Also, when
              it comes to musicians who are looking to buy a computer for production, the
              majority of the advice they would be given would more than likely suggest
              that they get a macintosh; there are just more options on that side. This
              leads me to believe that Emagic's PC user base consists of people who either
              already had a PC and then decided to get into recording using what they
              already had, or people who have greater PC loyalty than Emagic loyalty and
              chose Logic out of the available products for PC. As I said before, if you
              were going to get a computer just to run Logic and didn't care which
              platform you were on, you would probably choose a Mac.

              So at the end of the day, yes, Apple will get some new customers. How many?
              Debateable. Probably not enough. People using computers only for recording
              are already using Macs. People using PCs will likely keep using them for
              other reasons.

              Mark

              >Then again, what does apple care. They can absorb the loss of pc
              >customers easily. And seeing as how logic audio is one of the premiere
              >audio software packages in used, it just makes for one more reason for
              >audio professionals to move over to Apple.
              >
              >Good corporate decision, but thanks Apple for looking out for "caring"
              >about the current customers.
            • propellerheadcase
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 2 5:25 PM
                Given that Bill Gates/Microsoft has had a "strategic alliance" with
                Apple for going on 2 years now is it really that surprising? Bill
                effectively bailed Apple out a little while back (I can't remember
                the specifics).

                I wonder what this means, probably that Microsoft will get access to
                the code for the PC version and come out with it's own variant that
                will plug into existing users' set-ups, at a cost - wait and see ;-)

                Alan 'Conspiracy Theories R Me' Duval

                --- In HybridUK@y..., "Ben Smith" <a.smith4@b...> wrote:
                This sort of 'business' is hardly the preserve of Apple tho, I think
                they are finally realising that to keep hold of their traditional
                markets they will have to act exactly like Microsoft do. To balance
                things out, Microsoft could always just buy out Digi and cut Apple
                support heh.
              • oddball
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 2 5:27 PM
                  My sentiments exactly. I can see a lot of people moving over to Logic. Hybrid use Logic and say it's a better product anyhow.

                  [[[ Jason says: I'm not sure I understand your response. emagic makes logic. logic will no longer be supported pc users after sept 30th. jd is saying he thinks people will move over to cubase or some other pc supported app, and AWAY from logic, which will only be supported on apple os now. ]]]

                  At 10:53 02/07/2002 -0400, you wrote:
                  >jfransella@... writes:
                  >
                  >> Here's something I thought might be of interest to some of the
                  >> producers and would be producers that frequent the list.
                  >
                  >i think its one of the worst moves apple could make.. seeing as 45% of
                  >emagics buisness is from pc users.. and the fact that they wont support pc
                  >users after spet 30th.. especially since they just released 5.0 bundled with
                  >hardware.. that was well over 1000 bux...
                  >
                  >out of spite it will be a huge f&^k you... and people will rebel... the ony
                  >other logical choice will be cubase sx.. so steinberg must be loving apples
                  >retardedness on this move
                  >
                  >friggin wackintosh.. what a bunch of boneheads
                  >
                  >jd
                • oddball
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 2 5:28 PM
                    I think I am confused. I thought Logic was made by someone else? Brain fried as usual.

                    [[[ Jason says: ah, ok. well, already gone and sent the other post with comments, oops ;P ]]]
                  • oddball
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 2 5:30 PM
                      Ignore my previous posts. Talking out my arse again as usual. Sorry for the confusion. Guess Cubase will get a boost :) I'm right on it now aren't I? :P
                    • kiss the sun and walk on air
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 2 5:33 PM
                        On Wed, Jul 03, 2002 at 12:25:50AM -0000, propellerheadcase wrote:
                        > Given that Bill Gates/Microsoft has had a "strategic alliance" with
                        > Apple for going on 2 years now is it really that surprising? Bill
                        > effectively bailed Apple out a little while back (I can't remember
                        > the specifics).

                        And the "bailout" was closely timed with Microsoft paying Apple for
                        violation some of their Quicktime patents. Maybe the "bailout" was
                        pure spin :)
                        -pete

                        --
                        (peter.royal|osi)@... - http://fotap.org/~osi
                        jabber/ osi@... - icq/ 153025 - aim/ osifx - yahoo/ osi_fx
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 2 6:43 PM
                          > Given that Bill Gates/Microsoft has had a "strategic alliance" with
                          > Apple for going on 2 years now is it really that surprising? Bill
                          > effectively bailed Apple out a little while back (I can't remember
                          > the specifics).

                          Not for the first time either, they forgot their Court battle over the
                          look'n'feel issue to go after Adobe, wheels, within wheels within wheels
                          etc...

                          I'm guessing the rationale is that they are loosing first time buyers who
                          faced with a +£1500 Mac to run Logic and a sub £1000 PC with a published
                          higher spec will plump for the PC. Not that I can imagine anyone jumping
                          into Logic based on that alone. Argh, stuff it, Nuendo for me heh
                        • P a l i v a c i n n i
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 2 7:40 PM
                            >From: "propellerheadcase" <propellerheadcase@...>
                            >
                            >I wonder what this means, probably that Microsoft will get access to
                            >the code for the PC version and come out with it's own variant that
                            >will plug into existing users' set-ups, at a cost - wait and see ;-)
                            >
                            >Alan 'Conspiracy Theories R Me' Duval

                            I think Microsoft already has its foot in the door at Cakewalk, the first
                            major company to use the DXi standard. It'll be interesting to see how DXi
                            grows and competes, as it is a PC-only platform that is picking up support
                            from some major companies, i.e. Native Instruments. Time will tell... you
                            might be right about Microsoft, although I somewhat hate the thought of them
                            mingling too much in the music business.

                            Mark
                          • EvilAlivE@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jul 3 7:38 AM
                              oddball@... writes:

                              > jd is saying he thinks people will move over to cubase or some other pc
                              > supported app, and AWAY from logic, which will only be supported on apple
                              > os now.

                              im saying i wont be forced over to mac.. and im saying.. the po' folks like
                              myself that use logic for the PC... instead of going out andbuying a
                              mexintosh.. will get a copy of cubase essex instead
                            • EvilAlivE@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jul 3 7:40 AM

                                ewww... i sure hope that doesnt happen