Re: [Hybrid] traffic for hybrid.recoil.org

  • Nick Ludlam
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 1, 2002
      > Sponsorship is VERY hard to find these days, especially for files that can
      > be a little dubious financially.
      >
      > A better option may be to offer users the option to donate via PayPal.
      > However it too can show how selfish Internet users can be - wanting
      > everything and giving nothing. Ahhh I remember the early days of the
      > Internet - "community" :)

      I'm actually not after money, I just need to keep the bandwidth I use
      reasonably low since I don't pay for any of my hosting. Nice thought,
      but I'm in this in a strictly non-profit way.

      I had a bit of a chat about piracy with Mike on the saturday morning
      and he was saying how happy he was that AG has bitten the dust. While
      I share his sentiment on the commercial side, it's a shame it will curtail my
      ability to get hold of radio sets such as the ones on my site. In a strict
      legal sense, I suspect they are illegal to copy and distribute, but I don't
      feel as bad since I'm not directly depriving the artists of revenue.

      Anyway, rambling, but the main point was that recoil.org is all non-profit.

      later,
      Nick
    • oddball
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 2, 2002
        At 03:31 02/07/2002 +0100, you wrote:
        >> Sponsorship is VERY hard to find these days, especially for files that can
        >> be a little dubious financially.
        >>
        >> A better option may be to offer users the option to donate via PayPal.
        >> However it too can show how selfish Internet users can be - wanting
        >> everything and giving nothing. Ahhh I remember the early days of the
        >> Internet - "community" :)
        >

        >I'm actually not after money, I just need to keep the bandwidth I use
        >reasonably low since I don't pay for any of my hosting. Nice thought,
        >but I'm in this in a strictly non-profit way.
        >
        >I had a bit of a chat about piracy with Mike on the saturday morning
        >and he was saying how happy he was that AG has bitten the dust.

        I think he also said they don't mind MP3 distribution as long as it is not of promo material.

        [[[ Jason says: I'm not exactly sure where they stand on what is and isn't cool to be trading mp3-wise, so I'll defer the clarification to Ally]]]
      • ally@hybrid-group.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 3, 2002
          --- In HybridUK@y..., oddball <oddball@b...> wrote:
          > >I had a bit of a chat about piracy with Mike on the saturday
          morning
          > >and he was saying how happy he was that AG has bitten the dust.
          >
          > I think he also said they don't mind MP3 distribution as long as
          it is not of promo material.

          > [[[ Jason says: I'm not exactly sure where they stand on what is
          >and isn't cool to be trading mp3-wise, so I'll defer the
          >clarification to Ally]]]

          They are basically against people taking the piss and downloading
          the track before it's released. I'm not going to make any more
          comments about Mike and Chris' policies on MP3s, because its not for
          me to do that.

          I will, however, tell you MY rules on the list regarding MP3s: If
          it's available to buy, then buy it. If you download it, like it,
          then buy it...also good.

          If the tune / DJ set isn't available to buy and won't be in the
          future, then ok...download it.

          It's about having a bit of respect for their music. They work very
          hard to make lovely tunes for us and it's unfair for people to just
          download it from someone's pirated copy...and Hybrid don't get
          anything back for it.

          Just use a bit of common sense.
          (I'm going to regret saying that...)

          Ally
        • oddball
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 3, 2002
            >I think he also said they don't mind MP3 distribution as long as it is not of >promo material.

            I think they don't mind if it's older material or material that is now unavailable to buy. He mentioned something about them using copy protection. Might be used on their new CD. More power to their elbow I say. But then again I am no saint...
          • Phil Stewart
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 3, 2002
              On Wed, 3 Jul 2002, oddball wrote:
              > >I think he also said they don't mind MP3 distribution as long as it is not of
              > >promo material.
              >
              > I think they don't mind if it's older material or material that is now
              > unavailable to buy. He mentioned something about them using copy
              > protection. Might be used on their new CD. More power to their elbow I
              > say. But then again I am no saint...

              I am very concerned that they are considering copy protection,
              particularly given the recent horror stories about copy protected CDs and
              their nasty side-effects in computers. I can understand why they are
              concerned about piracy, but copy protection is just a bit too iffy.

              I'm sure I'm not alone in this group in wanting to be able to play back
              CDs through a computer, either digitally or in analogue. Personally, I
              prefer to play back digitally, because the D/A on my soundcard as
              substantially better than the one in my CD-ROM drive. Also I mix with
              mp3s, and hence rip CDs to mp3s for mixing. OK, so many albums aren't
              particularly suited to this anyway, but Wide Angle was. Copy protection
              would surely inhibit all such activities.

              Me is not a fan of copy protection :-(

              --
              From Phil
            • EvilAlivE@aol.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 3, 2002
                phil@... writes:

                > I am very concerned that they are considering copy protection,
                > particularly given the recent horror stories about copy protected CDs and
                > their nasty side-effects in computers. I can understand why they are
                > concerned about piracy, but copy protection is just a bit too iffy.

                what better cd to have permanantly imbedded in you rmexintosh then hybrid?
              • ally@hybrid-group.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 3, 2002
                  > I am very concerned that they are considering copy protection,
                  > particularly given the recent horror stories about copy protected
                  > CDs and their nasty side-effects in computers. I can understand
                  > why they are concerned about piracy, but copy protection is just a
                  > bit too iffy.

                  Dear Concerned,

                  No knickers need be twisted at this stage, as the pros and cons of
                  copy protection are just being discussed...much the same as whether
                  or not it will rain tomorrow.

                  Aunt Ally
                • propellerheadcase
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 3, 2002