RE: [Hybrid] traffic for hybrid.recoil.org

  • Nick Bower
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 1, 2002
      You've mentioned it now Gav, and it is THE LAW that you divulge once
      you've mentioned the word 'birthday'...!!!

      [grin]

      Nick

      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 1, 2002
        > Sponsorship is VERY hard to find these days, especially for files that can
        > be a little dubious financially.
        >
        > A better option may be to offer users the option to donate via PayPal.
        > However it too can show how selfish Internet users can be - wanting
        > everything and giving nothing. Ahhh I remember the early days of the
        > Internet - "community" :)

        I'm actually not after money, I just need to keep the bandwidth I use
        reasonably low since I don't pay for any of my hosting. Nice thought,
        but I'm in this in a strictly non-profit way.

        I had a bit of a chat about piracy with Mike on the saturday morning
        and he was saying how happy he was that AG has bitten the dust. While
        I share his sentiment on the commercial side, it's a shame it will curtail my
        ability to get hold of radio sets such as the ones on my site. In a strict
        legal sense, I suspect they are illegal to copy and distribute, but I don't
        feel as bad since I'm not directly depriving the artists of revenue.

        Anyway, rambling, but the main point was that recoil.org is all non-profit.

        later,
        Nick
      • oddball
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 2, 2002
          At 03:31 02/07/2002 +0100, you wrote:
          >> Sponsorship is VERY hard to find these days, especially for files that can
          >> be a little dubious financially.
          >>
          >> A better option may be to offer users the option to donate via PayPal.
          >> However it too can show how selfish Internet users can be - wanting
          >> everything and giving nothing. Ahhh I remember the early days of the
          >> Internet - "community" :)
          >

          >I'm actually not after money, I just need to keep the bandwidth I use
          >reasonably low since I don't pay for any of my hosting. Nice thought,
          >but I'm in this in a strictly non-profit way.
          >
          >I had a bit of a chat about piracy with Mike on the saturday morning
          >and he was saying how happy he was that AG has bitten the dust.

          I think he also said they don't mind MP3 distribution as long as it is not of promo material.

          [[[ Jason says: I'm not exactly sure where they stand on what is and isn't cool to be trading mp3-wise, so I'll defer the clarification to Ally]]]
        • ally@hybrid-group.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 3, 2002
            --- In HybridUK@y..., oddball <oddball@b...> wrote:
            > >I had a bit of a chat about piracy with Mike on the saturday
            morning
            > >and he was saying how happy he was that AG has bitten the dust.
            >
            > I think he also said they don't mind MP3 distribution as long as
            it is not of promo material.

            > [[[ Jason says: I'm not exactly sure where they stand on what is
            >and isn't cool to be trading mp3-wise, so I'll defer the
            >clarification to Ally]]]

            They are basically against people taking the piss and downloading
            the track before it's released. I'm not going to make any more
            comments about Mike and Chris' policies on MP3s, because its not for
            me to do that.

            I will, however, tell you MY rules on the list regarding MP3s: If
            it's available to buy, then buy it. If you download it, like it,
            then buy it...also good.

            If the tune / DJ set isn't available to buy and won't be in the
            future, then ok...download it.

            It's about having a bit of respect for their music. They work very
            hard to make lovely tunes for us and it's unfair for people to just
            download it from someone's pirated copy...and Hybrid don't get
            anything back for it.

            Just use a bit of common sense.
            (I'm going to regret saying that...)

            Ally
          • oddball
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 3, 2002
              >I think he also said they don't mind MP3 distribution as long as it is not of >promo material.

              I think they don't mind if it's older material or material that is now unavailable to buy. He mentioned something about them using copy protection. Might be used on their new CD. More power to their elbow I say. But then again I am no saint...
            • Phil Stewart
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 3, 2002
                On Wed, 3 Jul 2002, oddball wrote:
                > >I think he also said they don't mind MP3 distribution as long as it is not of
                > >promo material.
                >
                > I think they don't mind if it's older material or material that is now
                > unavailable to buy. He mentioned something about them using copy
                > protection. Might be used on their new CD. More power to their elbow I
                > say. But then again I am no saint...

                I am very concerned that they are considering copy protection,
                particularly given the recent horror stories about copy protected CDs and
                their nasty side-effects in computers. I can understand why they are
                concerned about piracy, but copy protection is just a bit too iffy.

                I'm sure I'm not alone in this group in wanting to be able to play back
                CDs through a computer, either digitally or in analogue. Personally, I
                prefer to play back digitally, because the D/A on my soundcard as
                substantially better than the one in my CD-ROM drive. Also I mix with
                mp3s, and hence rip CDs to mp3s for mixing. OK, so many albums aren't
                particularly suited to this anyway, but Wide Angle was. Copy protection
                would surely inhibit all such activities.

                Me is not a fan of copy protection :-(

                --
                From Phil
              • EvilAlivE@aol.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 3, 2002
                  phil@... writes:

                  > I am very concerned that they are considering copy protection,
                  > particularly given the recent horror stories about copy protected CDs and
                  > their nasty side-effects in computers. I can understand why they are
                  > concerned about piracy, but copy protection is just a bit too iffy.

                  what better cd to have permanantly imbedded in you rmexintosh then hybrid?
                • ally@hybrid-group.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 3, 2002
                    > I am very concerned that they are considering copy protection,
                    > particularly given the recent horror stories about copy protected
                    > CDs and their nasty side-effects in computers. I can understand
                    > why they are concerned about piracy, but copy protection is just a
                    > bit too iffy.

                    Dear Concerned,

                    No knickers need be twisted at this stage, as the pros and cons of
                    copy protection are just being discussed...much the same as whether
                    or not it will rain tomorrow.

                    Aunt Ally
                  • propellerheadcase
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 3, 2002