RE: [Hybrid] traffic for hybrid.recoil.org

  • tim_bolding@dell.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 1 8:15 AM
      Why don't you get some sort of sponsorship. I'm not saying charge for you
      services but maybe add banners or something to help pay the bills.

      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 1 8:37 AM
        Sponsorship is VERY hard to find these days, especially for files that can
        be a little dubious financially.

        A better option may be to offer users the option to donate via PayPal.
        However it too can show how selfish Internet users can be - wanting
        everything and giving nothing. Ahhh I remember the early days of the
        Internet - "community" :)

        Cheers,
        Gavin Stok

        http://www.hybridmusic.org.uk/ <http://www.hybridmusic.org.uk/>
      • Gavin Stok
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 1 9:24 AM
          err, legally not financially!

          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 1 9:25 AM
            You reminiscing and going dewy eyed again, Gav?

            ;)

            Nick

            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 1 9:37 AM
              Well it is my birthday coming up so I'm allowed to!!!! (and don't ask how
              old....)

              [[[ Jason says: oh, come on... out with it! how old ARE you?? ]]]

              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 1 9:51 AM
                You've mentioned it now Gav, and it is THE LAW that you divulge once
                you've mentioned the word 'birthday'...!!!

                [grin]

                Nick

                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 1 7:31 PM
                  > Sponsorship is VERY hard to find these days, especially for files that can
                  > be a little dubious financially.
                  >
                  > A better option may be to offer users the option to donate via PayPal.
                  > However it too can show how selfish Internet users can be - wanting
                  > everything and giving nothing. Ahhh I remember the early days of the
                  > Internet - "community" :)

                  I'm actually not after money, I just need to keep the bandwidth I use
                  reasonably low since I don't pay for any of my hosting. Nice thought,
                  but I'm in this in a strictly non-profit way.

                  I had a bit of a chat about piracy with Mike on the saturday morning
                  and he was saying how happy he was that AG has bitten the dust. While
                  I share his sentiment on the commercial side, it's a shame it will curtail my
                  ability to get hold of radio sets such as the ones on my site. In a strict
                  legal sense, I suspect they are illegal to copy and distribute, but I don't
                  feel as bad since I'm not directly depriving the artists of revenue.

                  Anyway, rambling, but the main point was that recoil.org is all non-profit.

                  later,
                  Nick
                • oddball
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 2 5:18 PM
                    At 03:31 02/07/2002 +0100, you wrote:
                    >> Sponsorship is VERY hard to find these days, especially for files that can
                    >> be a little dubious financially.
                    >>
                    >> A better option may be to offer users the option to donate via PayPal.
                    >> However it too can show how selfish Internet users can be - wanting
                    >> everything and giving nothing. Ahhh I remember the early days of the
                    >> Internet - "community" :)
                    >

                    >I'm actually not after money, I just need to keep the bandwidth I use
                    >reasonably low since I don't pay for any of my hosting. Nice thought,
                    >but I'm in this in a strictly non-profit way.
                    >
                    >I had a bit of a chat about piracy with Mike on the saturday morning
                    >and he was saying how happy he was that AG has bitten the dust.

                    I think he also said they don't mind MP3 distribution as long as it is not of promo material.

                    [[[ Jason says: I'm not exactly sure where they stand on what is and isn't cool to be trading mp3-wise, so I'll defer the clarification to Ally]]]
                  • ally@hybrid-group.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 3 1:02 AM
                      --- In HybridUK@y..., oddball <oddball@b...> wrote:
                      > >I had a bit of a chat about piracy with Mike on the saturday
                      morning
                      > >and he was saying how happy he was that AG has bitten the dust.
                      >
                      > I think he also said they don't mind MP3 distribution as long as
                      it is not of promo material.

                      > [[[ Jason says: I'm not exactly sure where they stand on what is
                      >and isn't cool to be trading mp3-wise, so I'll defer the
                      >clarification to Ally]]]

                      They are basically against people taking the piss and downloading
                      the track before it's released. I'm not going to make any more
                      comments about Mike and Chris' policies on MP3s, because its not for
                      me to do that.

                      I will, however, tell you MY rules on the list regarding MP3s: If
                      it's available to buy, then buy it. If you download it, like it,
                      then buy it...also good.

                      If the tune / DJ set isn't available to buy and won't be in the
                      future, then ok...download it.

                      It's about having a bit of respect for their music. They work very
                      hard to make lovely tunes for us and it's unfair for people to just
                      download it from someone's pirated copy...and Hybrid don't get
                      anything back for it.

                      Just use a bit of common sense.
                      (I'm going to regret saying that...)

                      Ally
                    • oddball
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 3 2:55 AM
                        >I think he also said they don't mind MP3 distribution as long as it is not of >promo material.

                        I think they don't mind if it's older material or material that is now unavailable to buy. He mentioned something about them using copy protection. Might be used on their new CD. More power to their elbow I say. But then again I am no saint...
                      • Phil Stewart
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 3 5:47 AM
                          On Wed, 3 Jul 2002, oddball wrote:
                          > >I think he also said they don't mind MP3 distribution as long as it is not of
                          > >promo material.
                          >
                          > I think they don't mind if it's older material or material that is now
                          > unavailable to buy. He mentioned something about them using copy
                          > protection. Might be used on their new CD. More power to their elbow I
                          > say. But then again I am no saint...

                          I am very concerned that they are considering copy protection,
                          particularly given the recent horror stories about copy protected CDs and
                          their nasty side-effects in computers. I can understand why they are
                          concerned about piracy, but copy protection is just a bit too iffy.

                          I'm sure I'm not alone in this group in wanting to be able to play back
                          CDs through a computer, either digitally or in analogue. Personally, I
                          prefer to play back digitally, because the D/A on my soundcard as
                          substantially better than the one in my CD-ROM drive. Also I mix with
                          mp3s, and hence rip CDs to mp3s for mixing. OK, so many albums aren't
                          particularly suited to this anyway, but Wide Angle was. Copy protection
                          would surely inhibit all such activities.

                          Me is not a fan of copy protection :-(

                          --
                          From Phil
                        • EvilAlivE@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 3 7:46 AM
                            phil@... writes:

                            > I am very concerned that they are considering copy protection,
                            > particularly given the recent horror stories about copy protected CDs and
                            > their nasty side-effects in computers. I can understand why they are
                            > concerned about piracy, but copy protection is just a bit too iffy.

                            what better cd to have permanantly imbedded in you rmexintosh then hybrid?
                          • ally@hybrid-group.com
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 3 8:00 AM
                              > I am very concerned that they are considering copy protection,
                              > particularly given the recent horror stories about copy protected
                              > CDs and their nasty side-effects in computers. I can understand
                              > why they are concerned about piracy, but copy protection is just a
                              > bit too iffy.

                              Dear Concerned,

                              No knickers need be twisted at this stage, as the pros and cons of
                              copy protection are just being discussed...much the same as whether
                              or not it will rain tomorrow.

                              Aunt Ally
                            • propellerheadcase
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 3 4:28 PM