Re: [Hybrid]

  • Arfie Mansfield
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 5, 2000
      >Stuart - meant to ask you...how are you with the floods? Mail me.

      You won't get rid of the water just by mailing it off to people in
      other parts of the country...

      --
      Arfie Mansfield -- [O Euchari, in lecto via ambulasti]

      http://arfiem.com/
      http://members.tripod.co.uk/arfiem/index2.htm (w/o javascript)
    • Ally Shuttleworth
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 5, 2000
        >      You won't get rid of the water just by mailing it off to >people in
        >other parts of the country...

        Damn. You sure?

        I live in York - just went into town and it's still pretty bad, starting to
        rain again too. Half my village went under-water.
        Luckily, my house is on quite high ground :o)
        We've had Sky TV crews camped out near us for days and Tony Blair popped by
        the other day. Not sure how it helped us though, him just standing there and
        looking at all the water?!

        Reet...I'm off to watch some fireworks! (even though it's starting to rain again...oh
        dear!!)

        Ally
      • Arfie Mansfield
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 5, 2000
          >I live in York - just went into town and it's still pretty bad, starting to
          >rain again too. Half my village went under-water.

          I live in Cambridge, which is about 50 miles below sea level :)
          Luckily there hasn't been any flooding here.

          --
          Arfie Mansfield -- [O Euchari, in lecto via ambulasti]

          http://arfiem.com/
          http://members.tripod.co.uk/arfiem/index2.htm (w/o javascript)
        • Stuart Bruce
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 5, 2000
            On Sun 05 Nov, Arfie Mansfield wrote:
            > > Stuart - meant to ask you...how are you with the floods? Mail me.
            >
            > You won't get rid of the water just by mailing it off to people
            > in other parts of the country...

            Actually, both Ally and I are in the same part of the country- a part of
            the UK that a couple of days ago witnessed its worst flooding in more
            than a hundred years, and thousands of people were evacuated from their
            houses.

            Luckily I'm far enough away from the river for it not to have affected
            me, but a couple of people I know have had to move out temporarily. At
            the moment my living room contains quite a few boxes of stuff of a
            friend's, although he himself is sleeping at somebody else's house
            instead.

            Ally- have you been affected by the floods? I assumed you were further
            out of the centre than that, but then again I'm not sure...

            Oh, and sorry that this has absolutely no Hybrid content whatsoever...

            Stuart.

            PS. Personal e-mail to follow soon, Ally, I promise...

            --
            Stuart Bruce
            stuart@...
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 5, 2000
              >Ally- have you been affected by the floods? I assumed you were >further out
              of the centre than that, but then again I'm not >sure...

              Yeah, I'm about 3 miles out of the centre...but, we're by the river Ouse...just
              further downstream than the centre.

              Ally
            • jason.parker1@jcu.edu.au
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 3, 2001
                > Subject: RE: Gatecrasher In Sydney
                > > And according to another
                > > person who went to Gatecrasher they said that Jody also at least
                > played
                > > Ajare at some point and he finished the set with Domination. Just
                > so
                > > you know, it wasn't just Intensify stuff. :0)

                Even Though I live in Australia...I live WAY too far from Brisbane, Sydney, or
                Melbourne...so i missed out on seeing Hybrid, WOW, and Nubreed...however on
                saturday in Oz the national youth radio station, JJJ played 8 hours of
                gatecrasher....unfortunately no hybrid (probably cuz they played in the
                afternoon and the radio didn't start broadcasting till 10pm) However Both WOW
                and Nubreed's sets where on...WOW played new stuff and old stuff, Domination
                was a different mix to the one i have, very progressive 4/4 as oppose to my
                breakbeat mix...and most the songs where at least slightly different from
                album...which is to be expected and a welcome change...
                Nubreeds Set was even better tho, in my opinion, as it was much breakier which
                i love....they played heaps their new songs and even a cool break mix of
                bjork's 'hyperballad'...i dont know if it was there own mix or not...
                Anyhow for any of u guys who want to hear the triple J broadcast check out
                http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/mixup/sets/default.htm
                you should be able to listen to in on realplayer until next saturday night
                (australian time) when the set will be replaced by the new saturday Mix-up....
                heres the line-up if ur interested...

                -10pm Recently honoured DJ Stephen Allkins aka Love Tattoo kicks things off.
                -10.30pm Check out Julius Knight. Best known for his work with Cleptomaniacs,
                his musical style is described as "raw, energetic, funky and soulful house with
                an emphasis on Paradise Garage" Resident of Miami USA.
                -11.30pm Way Out West. Jody Wisternoff and Nick Warren are Bristol-based
                legends who love playing dark, enigmatic, progressive house.
                -12.30am Tall Paul. Yes he really is tall at 6ft 6inches and is also regularly
                listed as one of the 10 best DJs in the world. Has remixed New Order, Stone
                Roses, Human League and Blondie to name a few. Plays big, floor-filling party
                house.
                -1.30am Little Louie Vega. One half of Masters at Work (Kenny "Dope" didn't
                make the plane). Louie and Kenny are highly sort after DJs and producers.
                Anyone who loves groove will have played Nuyorican Soul which is their project.
                Featuring house beats with some latin, hip-hop, jazz, funk, disco and soul
                influences that best describes their DJing as well!
                -3am Scott Bond. Is one of the founders when in 1994 he teamed up with Simon
                Raine in the UK to promote a series of one-off parties called "Gatecrasher".
                From this the club was born and 7 years later it's bigger than ever. Scott also
                remixes under the name Q:Dos and loves to play pure trance.
                -4am Meat Katie. DJ, Producer and record label owner, Mark Pember is a busy
                guy. Earlier in the year he released an acclaimed underground album
                called "Long to Belong". He plays tribal beats, tough electronic noises and
                heavy bass.
                **To finish this huge night we'll go out with local favourites Nu Breed. No
                stranger to the Triple J airwaves Melbourne based Nu-breed can move a dance-
                floor or produce great radio friendly tunes.

                personally i think they should have played hybrid instead of so much
                house...but ah well...

                finally to the guy who wanted to know about my groups that are similar to
                hybrid..apart from the already mentioned BT, and Way out West...Nubreed are
                very similar to hybrid, without as much strings and orchestral sounds(Welcome,
                Mutst, Midi Killa, Hardarse, Ionosphere), HiFi bugs (lydian and the dinosaur),
                and ASAP (heavy water, firebird), also have a similar progressive breaks
                sound...Some of DJ Rap's Stuff is close, especially 'good to be
                alive'...Orbital's 'Middle of Nowhere' has similar big breaks...and if its
                Hybrid's emotion and passion u love, Lamb might have some songs u like (Gorecki
                a, Cottonwool)

                Jase...
              • Mark Harris
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 22, 2004
                  Thanks Nick, that'd be cool if you could mate, but would like the quickest
                  response to this, if it makes no difference then go ahead, ta

                  The thing i wanted to ask you good people was this,
                  I saw Hybrid for the first time bout a month or so ago live at the concorde
                  in Brighton, i didn't know who they were but they were f*cking (can i swear
                  here?) good and we were throwing some pretty natty shapes. They are the best
                  thing i've seen live for a while (and i've seen some good people) they come
                  a close second to The Music in my 'favourite live acts' chart.
                  I nearly went up to see them at the emporium soon after but a friend lamed
                  out. Anyway, it says on the website they are at fabric in london at the end
                  of the month but it is DJ not live, i just wanted to know how good a dj set
                  is in comparison to live, bearing in mind it's quite a way to go.
                  what do you think you crazy bunch of Hybrid-lovers?

                  oh, and less of the "newbie" Schlueter

                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 23, 2004
                    Bwahahahahahah - love it!