Re: [Hybrid] Re: OT: New Sasha Album (and Oakenfold)

  • EvilAlivE@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , May 30, 2002
      olivercollett@... writes:

      > I mean, are you saying that Hard House is easier to produce
      > than ambient? Maybee i miss-understood

      yes you are fully missing my point... my point is.. baja vs rabbitweed or
      xpander... and baja being a much easier task to engineer hence.. not nearly
      as much of a challenge
    • Antti Mutta
      Message 2 of 4 , May 30, 2002
        > > I mean, are you saying that Hard House is easier to produce
        > > than ambient? Maybee i miss-understood
        > yes you are fully missing my point... my point is.. baja vs rabbitweed or
        > xpander... and baja being a much easier task to engineer hence.. not
        nearly
        > as much of a challenge

        J, I think you're missing the point of GOOD music. I love Xpander and
        Rabbitweed, not to mention Belfunk, which I think is the 2nd best track on
        the EP, but surely good engineering comes second to good composing, eh? I've
        heard a few tracks recently that sport heavy engineering, but no content.
        Too many progressive tracks actually rely on good sounds and knob twiddling
        skills and totally forget the song. A good example of a producer who is not
        the greatest mixer (not DJ mixer) or engineer is James Holden. He's got
        spirit and content in the songs he makes, yet some of his soundmixes come
        off as raw and half-done. I do see where you're coming from, being a
        producer yourself, but it's easier to sell a good track than good
        production. You can always tweak and remix the track later on, but if you
        have no song, the tweaking won't do any good. (PS. I'd think YOU would
        understand this, being part of the team who produced the biggest and most
        melody-laden progressive/breaks track last year)

        -antti
      • EvilAlivE@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , May 30, 2002
          In a message dated 5/30/02 3:23:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          antti.mutta@... writes:

          > (PS. I'd think YOU would
          > understand this, being part of the team who produced the biggest and most
          > melody-laden progressive/breaks track last year)

          personally.. i feel that the engineering on that song you are referring to
          (the way) was really poor... we were definatly in an infantile stage.. and
          our song writing was definetly what carried us on that matter...

          the problem here is the original debate...

          engineering.. who does and who doesnt.. and if i offended anyone about the
          ambient downtempo thing.. i do appologize...

          we wrote.. like.. 65 trax in that fashion with vocals in the last year and a
          half... and it comes so easy to us by comparison to the juggling act of
          putting a big dance track together with all the bells, whistles, tricks,
          etc... it is so much more frustrating doing so a mjaor juggling act for us
          tryign to find frequency ranges tro squeeze in vocals, strings, pianos,
          drums.. handling compression... all that stuff... down tempo and ambient... a
          couple of hours for a song... the way... a week and a half... the follow up
          to the way took us a month and we still arent finished with it

          please forgive me for making comments on my own personal experience... i
          guess i just assumed it was easier making ambient music for everyone because
          it is for us

          appologies...

          jd
        • olic660
          Message 4 of 4 , May 31, 2002
            --- In HybridUK@y..., EvilAlivE@a... wrote:
            > In a message dated 5/30/02 3:23:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            > antti.mutta@s... writes:
            >

            > > (PS. I'd think YOU would
            > > understand this, being part of the team who produced the biggest
            and most
            > > melody-laden progressive/breaks track last year)
            > >

            > personally.. i feel that the engineering on that song you are
            referring to
            > (the way) was really poor... we were definatly in an infantile
            stage.. and
            > our song writing was definetly what carried us on that matter...
            >
            > the problem here is the original debate...
            >
            > engineering.. who does and who doesnt.. and if i offended anyone
            about the
            > ambient downtempo thing.. i do appologize...

            Actually, i kinda made a mess of the whole thing. I wasnt saying
            oakenfold uses engineering but saying that oakenfold uses andy gray
            for the whole track! As in, he doesnt do anything. But now its
            spllled onto Sasha, so i guess it doesnt matter now, lol!