Why do some remixes have to be rare....?

  • dav_nichols@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2000
      Ally, thanks for setting this group up.

      I came across Hybrid when a friend lent me a 12" of 'Symphony'. It
      was the B side M4 Corridor Dub that grabbed me. I've been searching
      for Hybrid stuff ever since. [Why is it still that only a few people
      in the UK know of Hybrid despite such a great album???]

      I would just like to reiterate Gavin Stok's view that
      Hybrid/Distinct'ive should make Hybrid's music/remixes more
      accessible rather than make them rareties. Napster can help you
      discover new stuff and allow you to listen to what they have created
      but, once that's been done, if you like it and want to buy it, in a
      lot of cases you can't for love nor money. Here's an example:

      Paul Hourican at Distinct'ive, who I'm very grateful to for making me
      aware of this group, advised that Hybrid's remix of Alannis
      Morissette's - So Pure (which is truely excellent) "was a bootleg mix
      and is not available anywhere, if you see one grab it because when it
      first came out it was exchanging hands for £500." My reaction
      was, 'What am I going to do now?'. Surely, it is not in the
      artists/record label's best interests to keep good tracks like this
      away from the masses.

      I can only pray that Distinct'ive decide to release Remix album(s),
      of some of the really decent stuff (they all are really) inc. those
      done for Moby, BT, Carl Cox, Inner Sanctum, Brother Brown, Albion and
      Monk & Canatella (ie 'Enter the Monk'). Apparently, it's in
      discussion at Distinct'ive but I'm afraid that it'll never happen. It
      would be a pioneering move but also problmatic for many reasons. The
      biggest is that these boys have been very busy and there are so many
      of their remixes out there that all of them would probably fit on
      more than 5 CDs! (I'd still fork out for it!!)

      Anyway, I understand that Napster have done a deal with BMG for
      selling music over the net. Maybe this is an alternative to a remix
      album where Distinct'ive could join in on a similar idea so that we
      could at last legally get hold of all those remixes currently
      unavailable or difficult to find, for a small fee.

      I would love to know what you all think to this/if you all feel the
      same way.....

      Oh, and sorry for rambling on.....
      David