Is music truly free?

  • Gavin
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2000
      Ally (the totally funky Hybrid mailing list owner) wrote:

      > (and yes, I know that Hybrid should release this if they don't want
      > us to copy
      > stuff...we'd all love to go to the shops and part with our cash for
      > Hybrid!)

      I think this is the point Ally. We *would* buy it if it was readily
      available. But it's not so we use other measures to get it. The message
      for the record company: you're losing sales/money if you don't release
      things (hmmm, are those remix album rumours true?!). The message for
      the public: enjoy the freedom to obtain music via Napster etc. while
      you can.

      The whole Napster/record company thing is very, very interesting and is
      paving the way for the future of music distribution. I, for one, am
      watching very closely.

      Cheers,
      Gavin Stok

      http://www.b-t.org.uk/
      (includes Hybrid stuff!)

      PS - Kinetic by Golden Girls 50p; Walhalla by Gouryella 50p; Entropy by
      GTB (involves BT) 50p. All are CD singles and first two have Hybrid
      mixes. In the musically fertile land that is London bargains are to be
      found. Bliss!

      PPS - Does a Breeder Mix of "Under the Water" by Brother Brown feat.
      Frank'ee mean anything to people here? For some reason I think there's
      a Hybrid link but can't explain it!

      From homework help to love advice, Yahoo! Experts has your answer.
      http://experts.yahoo.com/
    • Chad Harnish
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 3, 2000
        Regarding your PPS, I think for some reason there is an MP3 version of
        Brother Brown's "Under The Water" floating around that is mis-labeled as a
        Hybrid remix. I have not downloaded it, but I would bet that it is the
        Starecase remix. To my knowledge, Hybrid has never remixed that track.

        Ally (the totally funky Hybrid mailing list owner) wrote:

        > (and yes, I know that Hybrid should release this if they don't want
        > us to copy
        > stuff...we'd all love to go to the shops and part with our cash for
        > Hybrid!)

        I think this is the point Ally. We *would* buy it if it was readily
        available. But it's not so we use other measures to get it. The message
        for the record company: you're losing sales/money if you don't release
        things (hmmm, are those remix album rumours true?!). The message for
        the public: enjoy the freedom to obtain music via Napster etc. while
        you can.

        The whole Napster/record company thing is very, very interesting and is
        paving the way for the future of music distribution. I, for one, am
        watching very closely.

        Cheers,
        Gavin Stok

        http://www.b-t.org.uk/
        (includes Hybrid stuff!)

        PS - Kinetic by Golden Girls 50p; Walhalla by Gouryella 50p; Entropy by
        GTB (involves BT) 50p. All are CD singles and first two have Hybrid
        mixes. In the musically fertile land that is London bargains are to be
        found. Bliss!

        PPS - Does a Breeder Mix of "Under the Water" by Brother Brown feat.
        Frank'ee mean anything to people here? For some reason I think there's
        a Hybrid link but can't explain it!

        From homework help to love advice, Yahoo! Experts has your answer.
        http://experts.yahoo.com/

        USEFUL LINKS

        Distinctive Records - Hybrid's record label - featuring video clips, sound
        and you can buy some Hybrid tunes here!
        http://www.distinctiverecords.com

        Hybrid Fan Site : Find out the latest news about Hybrid and related artists

        Breaksworld : Breakbeat news, reviews, tunes, DJ mixes, charts and loads
        more.
        http://www.breaksworld.com/
      • Andrew J Cowell
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 3, 2000
          Agreed. I've a shedload of remixes and non of them were Hybrid. Staircase
          it really the only breakbeat one of the lot.

          Andrew

        • Davin Greenwell
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 4, 2000
            On Thu, 2 Nov 2000, [iso-8859-1] Gavin wrote:

            > PPS - Does a Breeder Mix of "Under the Water" by Brother Brown feat.
            > Frank'ee mean anything to people here? For some reason I think there's
            > a Hybrid link but can't explain it!

            Nah, some punter named the Starecase remix (which is on the other side of
            the promo record) as the Hybrid remix. Which is not true. Superb remix
            tho, one of Starecase's best.

            Oddly enough, the promo record is ALSO mislabeled, but only it's just a
            side labelling error (Breeder's remix is on the text side, and
            Starecase's remix is on the logo side..!)

            heh hope that helps!
            --
            (dj) arizona
            davin greenwell