Re: Looking For

  • Jonathan Kim-Reuter
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2000
      Hey all, just a recording tip, one I used to nab both the Groovetech
      and a 1015 Folsom show. To record Real Player streams, get ahold of a
      good sound program, like Soundforge, Wavelab, CoolEdit...I use
      Soundforge. These programs allow you to record sound that is being
      inputted to your computer, through your soundcard. There are some
      programs that allow you to record real audio streams as real
      audio streams, but I found using Soundforge is much easier and
      probably gives you the same quality.

      All you have to do is (1) trip over to Groovetech's site, (2)start one
      of the sound programs you are using to record, and then (3)activate
      the hypertext link to the mix show you want. The Real Audio
      file will play through your speakers and record at the same
      time. Voila, you will finish with a copy of the real audio file in a
      .wav format. If the connection stalls or interrupts during the
      playback, just keep the recorder going (especially a problem on
      slower modem connections like mine). When you get done recording the
      mix, just go back and cut out the interruption and join back together
      the two (or more) halves that were separated by/during the
      interruption.

      This does not, however, get to the real problem...the low bitrate
      encoding of the real audio file in the first place. But beggars can't
      be choosers...and the Groovetech Hybrid show is a stomper!

      It seems quite technical, but if you are at all facile with one of the
      numerous sound/wav editing programs out there, it is really very easy.

      Thus real audio becomes .wav. I do not know if there is anything
      special about how real audio encodes their files, such that there
      would be a sound loss in doing what I have done...

      Hope this helps...

      Jonathan

      p.s. hey oddball, drop me a line when you get the chance.

      --- In HybridUK@egroups.com, Oddball <zeta@h...> wrote:
      > I have both MOS and Spundae in MP3 format only. Both are 128k
      bitrate. I
      > did have a 160k Spundae but the quality was worse than the 128k
      version. I
      > also have Grooveradio's mix in ASF format plus I have ultra long
      radio JJJ
      > mixup session, the Galaxy mix CD and a mix of Hybrid's material that
      > includes So Pure but it is not known if Hybrid mixed it or not.
      >
      > I would love to have the Groovetech sessions but the quality really
      sucks
      > and you are unable to download them as they are in crummy Realplayer
      format.

      > I'm not sure how folks feel about having MP3's etc of mix sessions
      as
      > opposed to stand alone tracks. Maybe Distinctive etc could comment
      and ease
      > my conscience somewhat ;)
      >
      > At 19:39 01/11/2000 +0000, you wrote:
      >
      > >I'm looking for a good copy of the MOS Hybrid show. I've seen it on
      Napster
      > >but haven't had the chance to grab it. I'd prefer just to trade
      with someone
      > >who has a good copy. And if anyone has a non-mp3 sourced copy that
      would be
      > >at the top of my list.
      > >
      > >Also..does anyone have the Hybrid Spundae Anniversary Show from
      Radio 1?

      http://www.hotmail.com

    • paradox@erols.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2000
        There's also XFileGet and Ra2Wav, if you can get your hands on them.
        The former can download a RA stream (though I seem to remember it
        having issues with Groovetech), and the latter converts it to a wav
        file for burning. Got some great stuff from Astralwerks that way. I
        purchased both programs before they got discontinued.

        btw, Hello everyone. I'm Paul.