Re: [Hybrid] Hey hey

  • Phil Stewart
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 27, 2002
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: <SemanticSpaces76@...>
      > > Damnit I'm feeling extra gutted - I *do* live in the UK, in London of
      all
      > > places, but I can't *afford* to go out. Doh!
      >
      > Yeah I did hear that these places are ridiculously expensive, how much
      would
      > a night out in London cost anyways? I haven't been out there since '92,
      fill
      > us clueless Americans in!

      OK, this is fairly arbitrary, but it gives an idea ...

      £2 - Underground ticket to Zone 1 from Zone 2
      £15 - Entry to club (I've generally paid much less than that in many places,
      but others are more, so for the sake of argument ..)
      £9 - Typical price per drink about £3, assuming 3 drinks throughout duration
      of evening
      £4 - Share in taxi home (v. approx .. also Nightbuses available at cost of
      £1)

      Total: £30

      To put this in perspective, I typically have about £45 a week to live off
      after rent, which isn't much to start with. Knocking even a cheap night out
      at £15, and my living capability is crippled further. Last term I was about
      £10 a week worse off too ... never good. I've only got two months rent to
      pay this term though, so I might be able to afford social activities after
      my exams are done ... assuming I don't spend all my money on eBay and
      records or something first :-)

      --
      From Phil
      Still gutted about being sniped over a copy of PvD - Vorsprung Dyk Technik
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 27, 2002
        >There again I s'pose I only have myself to blame ... every time I spy >out
        >spare cash I wander into a record shop ...

        Don't feel alone. A good many of us have the very same problem!

        Christopher the just plain penniless.
      • ally@hybrid-group.co.uk
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 27, 2002
          > > Damnit I'm feeling extra gutted - I *do* live in the UK, in London of
          all
          > > places, but I can't *afford* to go out. Doh!
          > >

          > Yeah I did hear that these places are ridiculously expensive, how much
          would
          > a night out in London cost anyways? I haven't been out there since '92,
          fill
          > us clueless Americans in!

          Yeah, when I go down to London, I always make sure I've got plenty of
          cash...I've no idea how people actually manage to live there.

          Ally
        • propellerheadcase
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 28, 2002
            On CD?

            --- In HybridUK@y..., "Phil Stewart" <phil.stewart@l...> wrote:
            Still gutted about being sniped over a copy of PvD - Vorsprung Dyk
            Technik on eBay ...
          • neil mitchell-goodson
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 28, 2002
              £30 night out in London? Here's mine:

              Travel Card into London: £9.40
              Entry to Fabric: £12 (cloak room £1.00)
              drinks ALL NIGHT (about 10:00pm - 4.am) around £30
              walk back to Kings Cross station: £free
              Train home: £free if you're lucky (as no ticket inspectors work before 6.am, trust me, my girlfriend works for Railtrack)Total: £52.40

              By the way, anyone off to The End on the 17th May for the Distinctive Breaks night?