Re: [Hybrid] Re: Hybrid Artwork

  • Jitesh Mistry
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 2, 2002
      Quoting ally@...:

      > > i think we should do another poll on this subject, Distored face or
      > > orginal artwork... Whadda ya say Ally =0
      >
      > Urgh...original artwork def. - I'm really not keen on the distorted
      > face. It does get the album noticed though...
      >
      > Ally

      I agree too.. okay I don't own a copy of Wide Angle, just Wider Angle (please
      don't flame for this). That face freaks me out somewhat, I don't look at the
      jewel case anymore, I just deftly handle it without looking at it anymore... I
      really ought to be myself a copy of Wide Angle for collector's sake. I think
      I'll pop down to Vinyl Exchange on Tuesday...

      Later,
      Jits.
      [Bit peeved that I can't go to The Cross as it's mothers day weekend, and it
      was my mother's birthday for Fabric... *sigh* I need a Hybrid DJing fix!]
    • Phil Stewart
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 2, 2002
        From: <ally@...>
        > > i think we should do another poll on this subject, Distored face or
        > > orginal artwork... Whadda ya say Ally =0
        >
        > Urgh...original artwork def. - I'm really not keen on the distorted
        > face. It does get the album noticed though...

        I've been missing out on this convo a bit, not having the original album (I
        have Wider Angle, Wider Angle Vinyl, and Wide Angle US Promo, all the face),
        but then I remembered I've got the poster (I'm guessing it's a dodgy
        flavoured sandwich; it's got their attention, but they're in two minds about
        whether to go for it :-)

        As for the distorted face, well I have that on a poster too (along with the
        If I Survive poster), and I have the distorted face duplicate in a huage
        poster. I've not got round to putting any of them up (I've previously been
        too busy or lazy to get round to buying picture hooks, now I'm too poor as
        well :-) ... but then I'm not sure I really want to have huge distorted face
        staring at me from across the room :-)

        --
        From Phil
        Desperately trying to work out how not to be a penniless student who can't
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 5, 2002
          Distorted face for sure. It's one of the few posters I brought to my
          dorm room and it "trips people out."

          The original artwork isn't bad either, but the face is just more,
          well, unique.
        • jonny chan
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 6, 2002
            On the subject of artwork, I'm afriad I'll have to go for the distorted face! I mean, I'm not freak (some say otherwise granted... sigh)... but there's nowt freakish about the face at all! In my opinion, the face is even kinda cute!!! (shock horror!) But, does anyone know that this is actually distorted? I mean, who remembers the Playstation ads a few years back with the girl... is it the same person? As far as I know, the girl in the playstation ad was genuine... so not distorted...! So if you guys reckon that the face is distorted somewhat, think about it... that face probably exists for real!!... Anyway, as I say, I don't think it's freakish at all.... I'll stop me ramblings.......... Peace. Jonny.

            > I agree too.. okay I don't own a copy of Wide Angle, just Wider Angle
            >(please don't flame for this). That face freaks me out somewhat, I don't look > at the jewel case anymore, I just deftly handle it without looking at it
            > anymore
          • c_chilton
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 6, 2002
              --- In HybridUK@y..., "jonny chan" <smelly_rats_ass@h...> wrote:
              But, does anyone know that this is actually distorted? I mean, who
              remembers the Playstation ads a few years back with the girl... is it
              the same person? As far as I know, the girl in the playstation ad was
              genuine... so not distorted...! So if you guys reckon that the face
              is distorted somewhat, think about it... that face probably exists
              for real!!...
              ----

              I reckon the camera had some kind of 'wide angle' lens on :)

              Chuck
            • Matthew Craig
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 6, 2002
                I have to go with the original "Wide Angle" cover. Say what you will
                about the uncomfortable "producer faces" - that cover just looks more
                stylish to me. Maybe not the most original idea but it's clean, simple, and
                it looks good.

                The distorted face is 1.) a little freaky and 2.) seemed almost too
                obvious for an album calling itself "Wider Angle". I will say that the
                bluish-negative version of that image looks quite cool though.

                --Matthew Craig (Flashpoint)
              • Antti Mutta
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 6, 2002
                  I'd say it's taken with a camera equipped with fish eye lense just like the
                  picture of the Hybrid guys inside the car in the inner sleeve notes.

                  > But, does anyone know that this is actually distorted? I mean, who
                  remembers the Playstation ads a few years back with the >girl... is it the
                  same person? As far as I know, the girl in the playstation ad was genuine...
                  so not distorted...! So if you guys >reckon that the face is distorted
                  somewhat, think about it... that face probably exists for real!!
                • Sandy Lao
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 7, 2002
                    Any Uberzone Fans from LA? I've heard he is working
                    with Distinctive and he has a track due sometimes in
                    the future. Anyone know when???

                    Sandy
                  • R. Vogel
                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 8, 2002
                      Ya, ya I know, you guys took what I meant out of context.... There are a
                      sh*tload of american artists that are pioneers and are world renouned....
                      that's not what I meant. =)

                      I specifically meant the UK nu-skool breakbeat scene.... there are no other
                      american artists getting as played / respected by europeans in that scene
                      besides Uberzone. Moby+Crystal Method etc are pretty mainstream artists, so
                      yeah they have wide reception, but the only CM I'm hearing from the nu-skool
                      scene is the Hybrid remix of "Name of the Game"!

                      Anyway, this all got way off topic, the original post was about Uberzone's
                      work with Distinctive....

                      > In terms of American electronic artists that get respect in Europe, let's
                      > not forget Moby & The Crystal Method are all Americans, not to mention the
                      > founders of Detroit Techno like Derrick May, Juan Atkins, Kevin Saunderson
                      > and Carl Craig. Their names might not be as familiar as BT, Moby, or Q
                      from
                      > Uberzone, but being a Detroiter all my life I can vouch for the insane
                      > number of Brits, and other Europeans, I met at the Detroit Electronic
                      Music
                      > Festival over the past 2 years.
                      >
                      > Matt A.
                    • Stuart Bruce
                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 8, 2002
                        > On the subject of artwork, I'm afriad I'll have to go for the
                        > distorted face! I mean, I'm not freak (some say otherwise granted...
                        > sigh)... but there's nowt freakish about the face at all! In my
                        > opinion, the face is even kinda cute!!! (sh ock horror!) But, does
                        > anyone know that this is actually distorted? I mean, who rememb ers
                        > the Playstation ads a few years back with the girl... is it the same
                        > person? As fa r as I know, the girl in the playstation ad was
                        > genuine... so not distorted...!

                        The girl on the Playstation ad had a face distorted. At the time the
                        adverts started running, the company in charge of PR put out a couple of
                        well-timed press releases implying that the girl in the adverts really
                        was shaped like that, which got the ads some press attention (for
                        'exploiting freaks', that kind of thing) from gullible press. However
                        later on (can't remember exactly when) there were some pictures released
                        showing an image of her before and after the clever distortion. (Unless
                        the face was genuine and the pre-distortion pictures were the rouse...
                        strange how over-clever some of these companies try to be...).

                        I reckon that the "Wide Angle" cover isn't actually simply using a wide
                        angle lens, but a graphics package to produce a vaguely similar effect
                        but with different stretches and a different feel.

                        For me, neither cover is perfect. The original cover would look better
                        if there were no people in it, they get in the way of the great
                        furniture (sorry!) and I too was reminded of the Eels cover when I saw
                        the second version. I don't think either cover actually fits the album.

                        Stuart.

                        --
                        Stuart Bruce
                        stuart@...
                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 8, 2002
                          In terms of American electronic artists that get respect in Europe, let's
                          not forget Moby & The Crystal Method are all Americans, not to mention the
                          founders of Detroit Techno like Derrick May, Juan Atkins, Kevin Saunderson
                          and Carl Craig. Their names might not be as familiar as BT, Moby, or Q from
                          Uberzone, but being a Detroiter all my life I can vouch for the insane
                          number of Brits, and other Europeans, I met at the Detroit Electronic Music
                          Festival over the past 2 years.

                          Matt A.

                          > what about all other US producers and singers (from all the possible
                          > genres) that get record deals and singles/albums released in Europe
                          > way before they get recognised in the US?
                          >
                          > Not to mention that Europe has the dubious distinction
                          > of "discovering" Backstreet Boys and then putting them back on the
                          > stateside music map and triggering the boy-band circus there?
                          >
                          > I may be a bit off-topic and off-genre here but even when it comes to
                          > breaks or trance or house to say that Q is "the only one" is a bit of
                          > a stretch of imagination.
                        • Drew Ressler
                          Message 12 of 20 , Mar 8, 2002
                            Just for the non UK'ers like me who never saw the PlayStation ad being talked about, you can view it here:

                            http://www.director-file.com/cunningham/

                            It's 531.

                            Yes, it even explains the girls face, and has the image of her before and after distortion
                            http://www.director-file.com/cunningham/fifimoon.jpg

                            (Along with all of Chris Cunningham's other great videos!)

                            --Rukes

                            > The girl on the Playstation ad had a face distorted. At the time the
                            > adverts started running, the company in charge of PR put out a couple of
                            > well-timed press releases implying that the girl in the adverts really
                            > was shaped like that, which got the ads some press attention (for
                            > 'exploiting freaks', that kind of thing) from gullible press. However
                            > later on (can't remember exactly when) there were some pictures released
                            > showing an image of her before and after the clever distortion. (Unless
                            > the face was genuine and the pre-distortion pictures were the rouse...
                            > strange how over-clever some of these companies try to be...).
                          • propellerheadcase
                            Message 13 of 20 , Mar 9, 2002
                              Yeah, a long strip across the cover with a panorama from mountains to
                              desert, to sea, with some lightning in the mountains and a sunset
                              over the sea - lots of photo-montage and airbrush work, but worth
                              it :D

                              Logo in black strip at top, title in black strip at bottom.