[Hybrid] OT: Blue (Was: Re: "invisible" producers)

  • c_chilton
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 2 9:56 AM
      > I don't think that implies
      > they've nullified their talent (taking a look at their entire body
      of
      > work should put that to rest),

      Certainly so! Wow saw an oppurtunity to make a beautiful song and
      took it. Why deprive us the music listening public the pleasure of
      ever hearing such a tune simply because of the 'issues' in taking a
      sample.

      To go even mooooooooore off topic, but still kinnnnnda related, some
      poeple say Fatboy Slim in the biggest plagurist of them all, and what
      he does anybody with half a brain could do. So why don't they?
      Because they can't.

      Personally I think one big element to being a musical maestro is
      vision, in some ways recognising potential in something ordinary
      people would just throw away.. All great musicians (FBS, Wow, etc)
      have this talent, they just use it in different ways at different
      times.

      ummmmm, I know i'm not making any sense now so I'm off :)

      Chuck
    • propellerheadcase
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 3 5:12 AM
        I used to be in the anti-sample brigade back in my very-metal days
        but now I see it as an artform that Steinski, Bomb the Bass, DJ
        Shadow, the Chemical Brothers, Fatboy Slim and the Avalanches have
        successively taken to new plateaus. I personally believe it is
        harder to force two samples to co-exist than it is to write two
        complimentary melody lines.

        In Fatboy's case it isn't plagiarism for the simple fact that he's
        not copying a pre-existent idea he is physically copying the original
        material into a new context - that's a BIG difference.

        I had a thought on the whole sampling/copying front the other day:

        No-one would denigrate Beethoven for his use of traditional French
        and Russian music in the '1812 Overture', would they. But he
        certainly sampled/re-contextualised pre-existent material.

        --- In HybridUK@y..., "c_chilton" <c_chilton@y...> wrote:
        > To go even mooooooooore off topic, but still kinnnnnda related,
        some
        > poeple say Fatboy Slim in the biggest plagurist of them all, and
        what
        > he does anybody with half a brain could do. So why don't they?
        > Because they can't.
        >
        > Personally I think one big element to being a musical maestro is
        > vision, in some ways recognising potential in something ordinary
        > people would just throw away.. All great musicians (FBS, Wow, etc)
        > have this talent, they just use it in different ways at different
        > times.
        >
        > ummmmm, I know i'm not making any sense now so I'm off :)
        >

        > Chuck
      • Antti Mutta
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 5 5:01 AM
          Thanks Vinnie. This makes Blue sort of like the Traffic soundtrack Helicopter tune remixed by WOW. Tasty, yes, but mostly just a good remix and not something I'd call an original production. Takes the classic status of this track for me. Notice: FOR ME, so no flaming please.

          It must be fun being an engineer / producer behind some famous DJ. Here's a recent example: in the Parks & Wilson Essential Mix there's an superb tech-house track from Phantom Power aka Rob Rives. Further study using Google reveals the man is Danny Tenaglia's engineer. Now, this sounds as he's some sort of coffee unit handler in the studio, whereas you should be reading: the man BEHIND remixes and productions, which are dubbed Danny Tenaglia productions. Well, money does incredible things to people and their minds.

          -antti