[Hybrid] Re: "invisible" producers

  • propellerheadcase
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 2, 2002
      I thought Bon Jovi were produced by Desmond Child, they certainly
      were at one stage. And he has most recently produced Ricky Martin.
      And Mutt Lange produced Def Leppard and Bryan Adams (let's play spot
      the backing-vocal similarities), AC/DC and Billy Ocean.

      --- In HybridUK@y..., "Thomas Hansen" <thomas_h_18@h...> wrote:
      > The only example I can think of right now is actually Bonjovi...
      ( ! ) They usually have a guy called Obie O'brian or something like
      that as the bands producer, but then on their last album, there was
      this song IT'S MY LIFE which sounded so... different... Not
      Bonjovish. And it turns out they used a producer who earlier helped
      Backstreet Boys do a couple of songs... Therefore the catchy, almost
      childish pop song that IT'S MY LIFE is... Because of the producer.
      OK, a bit off topic, but still I was just trying to explain what
      impact a producer can have.
    • c_chilton
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 2, 2002
        > I don't think that implies
        > they've nullified their talent (taking a look at their entire body
        of
        > work should put that to rest),

        Certainly so! Wow saw an oppurtunity to make a beautiful song and
        took it. Why deprive us the music listening public the pleasure of
        ever hearing such a tune simply because of the 'issues' in taking a
        sample.

        To go even mooooooooore off topic, but still kinnnnnda related, some
        poeple say Fatboy Slim in the biggest plagurist of them all, and what
        he does anybody with half a brain could do. So why don't they?
        Because they can't.

        Personally I think one big element to being a musical maestro is
        vision, in some ways recognising potential in something ordinary
        people would just throw away.. All great musicians (FBS, Wow, etc)
        have this talent, they just use it in different ways at different
        times.

        ummmmm, I know i'm not making any sense now so I'm off :)

        Chuck
      • propellerheadcase
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 3, 2002
          I used to be in the anti-sample brigade back in my very-metal days
          but now I see it as an artform that Steinski, Bomb the Bass, DJ
          Shadow, the Chemical Brothers, Fatboy Slim and the Avalanches have
          successively taken to new plateaus. I personally believe it is
          harder to force two samples to co-exist than it is to write two
          complimentary melody lines.

          In Fatboy's case it isn't plagiarism for the simple fact that he's
          not copying a pre-existent idea he is physically copying the original
          material into a new context - that's a BIG difference.

          I had a thought on the whole sampling/copying front the other day:

          No-one would denigrate Beethoven for his use of traditional French
          and Russian music in the '1812 Overture', would they. But he
          certainly sampled/re-contextualised pre-existent material.

          --- In HybridUK@y..., "c_chilton" <c_chilton@y...> wrote:
          > To go even mooooooooore off topic, but still kinnnnnda related,
          some
          > poeple say Fatboy Slim in the biggest plagurist of them all, and
          what
          > he does anybody with half a brain could do. So why don't they?
          > Because they can't.
          >
          > Personally I think one big element to being a musical maestro is
          > vision, in some ways recognising potential in something ordinary
          > people would just throw away.. All great musicians (FBS, Wow, etc)
          > have this talent, they just use it in different ways at different
          > times.
          >
          > ummmmm, I know i'm not making any sense now so I'm off :)
          >

          > Chuck
        • Antti Mutta
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 5, 2002
            Thanks Vinnie. This makes Blue sort of like the Traffic soundtrack Helicopter tune remixed by WOW. Tasty, yes, but mostly just a good remix and not something I'd call an original production. Takes the classic status of this track for me. Notice: FOR ME, so no flaming please.

            It must be fun being an engineer / producer behind some famous DJ. Here's a recent example: in the Parks & Wilson Essential Mix there's an superb tech-house track from Phantom Power aka Rob Rives. Further study using Google reveals the man is Danny Tenaglia's engineer. Now, this sounds as he's some sort of coffee unit handler in the studio, whereas you should be reading: the man BEHIND remixes and productions, which are dubbed Danny Tenaglia productions. Well, money does incredible things to people and their minds.

            -antti