Re: [Hybrid] Kid 2000 video

  • Sandy Lao
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2, 2002
      Where did you see those vids??? Any clue if they are
      online???

      --- Stuart Bruce <breaks@...> wrote:

      > Just watched the White Disc volume 7 DVD, with the
      > "Kid 2000" video on
      > it- another Hybrid video that I've just seen for the
      > first time. Not as
      > stunning as the "If I Survive" video, it's based
      > around Chrissie Hynde
      > standing around on a white stage singing and dancing
      > (where "dancing" in
      > this instance describes waving your arms around
      > aimlessly and
      > impersonating a young sapling in an Autumn breeze)
      > while a screen behind
      > her alternates between showing clips from the Kevin
      > & Perry Movie, and
      > clips of the three men of Hybrid doing colourful
      > things.
      <snip>
    • Stuart Bruce
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2, 2002
        On Fri 01 Mar, HybridUK@yahoogroups.com wrote:
        > The faces they are pulling are rather comical....but at least they're
        > consistent!! Look at any promo picture/vid of them and you'll notice
        > the
        > 'trying-to-do-the-cool-thing-but-actually-achieving-acute-awkwardness'
        > scenario.

        'strue. In the "If I Survive" video you only get to see it for a second,
        which is as long as the illusion of coolness really lasts. Once
        you've looked at the original UK cover of "Wide Angle" for more than a
        few seconds you realise that all three of the boys have been told to
        stare at an invisible sandwich which is sat on the floor near Julie's
        feet.

        It's a shame that so many great musicians who are over 25 conclude that
        the only way to retain any credibility when you're being photographed or
        filmed is to look as if you just don't want to be there and that you'd
        rather be at home listening to Gardener's Question Time. Some others
        have found ways around it- like Norman Cook- but Hybrid have yet to find
        that natural position. You don't need to look depressed to prove that
        you're serious about music, etc.

        > They'd be better off getting a couple of sofas, plonking themselves
        > down and giving us all a big cheesy grin and the thumbs up. Cause
        > that's what they do best!!

        Unfortunately Groove Armada have already covered the sofa approach to
        band photographs, but pulling the producer pout as well of course.
        You're right, there should be more cheesy grins in music, from the
        people who make it rather than just the nutters that shove into
        everybody on the dancefloor. Mr C, for all his sins, was a larf.

        Stuart.

        --
        Stuart Bruce
        stuart@...
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 2, 2002
          As did MPeople before them.

          'E's are good, E's are good, 'e's Ebeneezer Goode'