RE: [Hybrid] Kid 2000 video

  • Nick Bower
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 1, 2002
      Yeah - and a pint of beer in each hand!!

      ;)

      Nick

      >They'd be better off getting a couple of sofas, plonking themselves down
      >and
      >giving us all a big cheesy grin and the thumbs up.
      >Cause that's what they do best!!
      >Tam xx
    • waldtricki
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 2, 2002
        maybe its just me but ive always loved the original artwork much more
        than that distorted face. I mean you can over anaylze the serious
        looks on their faces and discount it but i think that colors are much
        more visually appealing and too add to it, the peice of glowing blue
        neon art in the backround is just flat out cool. i was actually
        really dissapointed when they changed the artwork for the US release
        and i asked mike about it although i dont remember why he said they
        changed it he said something to the effect of "it was julie's face in
        the morning"....which sent me laughing hysterically

        i think we should do another poll on this subject, Distored face or
        orginal artwork... Whadda ya say Ally =0

        > The best offering yet though has to be the original cover for Wide
        Angle,
        > which features all three Hybrid boys fashioning rather interesting
        white
        > suits. Must be the 'I've-just-escaped-from-nearest-asylum' look.
        Or maybe
      • ally@hybrid-group.co.uk
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 2, 2002
          > i think we should do another poll on this subject, Distored face or
          > orginal artwork... Whadda ya say Ally =0

          Urgh...original artwork def. - I'm really not keen on the distorted
          face. It does get the album noticed though...

          Ally
        • Jitesh Mistry
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 2, 2002
            Quoting ally@...:

            > > i think we should do another poll on this subject, Distored face or
            > > orginal artwork... Whadda ya say Ally =0
            >
            > Urgh...original artwork def. - I'm really not keen on the distorted
            > face. It does get the album noticed though...
            >
            > Ally

            I agree too.. okay I don't own a copy of Wide Angle, just Wider Angle (please
            don't flame for this). That face freaks me out somewhat, I don't look at the
            jewel case anymore, I just deftly handle it without looking at it anymore... I
            really ought to be myself a copy of Wide Angle for collector's sake. I think
            I'll pop down to Vinyl Exchange on Tuesday...

            Later,
            Jits.
            [Bit peeved that I can't go to The Cross as it's mothers day weekend, and it
            was my mother's birthday for Fabric... *sigh* I need a Hybrid DJing fix!]
          • Phil Stewart
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 2, 2002
              From: <ally@...>
              > > i think we should do another poll on this subject, Distored face or
              > > orginal artwork... Whadda ya say Ally =0
              >
              > Urgh...original artwork def. - I'm really not keen on the distorted
              > face. It does get the album noticed though...

              I've been missing out on this convo a bit, not having the original album (I
              have Wider Angle, Wider Angle Vinyl, and Wide Angle US Promo, all the face),
              but then I remembered I've got the poster (I'm guessing it's a dodgy
              flavoured sandwich; it's got their attention, but they're in two minds about
              whether to go for it :-)

              As for the distorted face, well I have that on a poster too (along with the
              If I Survive poster), and I have the distorted face duplicate in a huage
              poster. I've not got round to putting any of them up (I've previously been
              too busy or lazy to get round to buying picture hooks, now I'm too poor as
              well :-) ... but then I'm not sure I really want to have huge distorted face
              staring at me from across the room :-)

              --
              From Phil
              Desperately trying to work out how not to be a penniless student who can't
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 5, 2002
                Distorted face for sure. It's one of the few posters I brought to my
                dorm room and it "trips people out."

                The original artwork isn't bad either, but the face is just more,
                well, unique.
              • jonny chan
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 6, 2002
                  On the subject of artwork, I'm afriad I'll have to go for the distorted face! I mean, I'm not freak (some say otherwise granted... sigh)... but there's nowt freakish about the face at all! In my opinion, the face is even kinda cute!!! (shock horror!) But, does anyone know that this is actually distorted? I mean, who remembers the Playstation ads a few years back with the girl... is it the same person? As far as I know, the girl in the playstation ad was genuine... so not distorted...! So if you guys reckon that the face is distorted somewhat, think about it... that face probably exists for real!!... Anyway, as I say, I don't think it's freakish at all.... I'll stop me ramblings.......... Peace. Jonny.

                  > I agree too.. okay I don't own a copy of Wide Angle, just Wider Angle
                  >(please don't flame for this). That face freaks me out somewhat, I don't look > at the jewel case anymore, I just deftly handle it without looking at it
                  > anymore
                • c_chilton
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 6, 2002
                    --- In HybridUK@y..., "jonny chan" <smelly_rats_ass@h...> wrote:
                    But, does anyone know that this is actually distorted? I mean, who
                    remembers the Playstation ads a few years back with the girl... is it
                    the same person? As far as I know, the girl in the playstation ad was
                    genuine... so not distorted...! So if you guys reckon that the face
                    is distorted somewhat, think about it... that face probably exists
                    for real!!...
                    ----

                    I reckon the camera had some kind of 'wide angle' lens on :)

                    Chuck
                  • Matthew Craig
                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 6, 2002
                      I have to go with the original "Wide Angle" cover. Say what you will
                      about the uncomfortable "producer faces" - that cover just looks more
                      stylish to me. Maybe not the most original idea but it's clean, simple, and
                      it looks good.

                      The distorted face is 1.) a little freaky and 2.) seemed almost too
                      obvious for an album calling itself "Wider Angle". I will say that the
                      bluish-negative version of that image looks quite cool though.

                      --Matthew Craig (Flashpoint)
                    • Antti Mutta
                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 6, 2002
                        I'd say it's taken with a camera equipped with fish eye lense just like the
                        picture of the Hybrid guys inside the car in the inner sleeve notes.

                        > But, does anyone know that this is actually distorted? I mean, who
                        remembers the Playstation ads a few years back with the >girl... is it the
                        same person? As far as I know, the girl in the playstation ad was genuine...
                        so not distorted...! So if you guys >reckon that the face is distorted
                        somewhat, think about it... that face probably exists for real!!
                      • Sandy Lao
                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 7, 2002
                          Any Uberzone Fans from LA? I've heard he is working
                          with Distinctive and he has a track due sometimes in
                          the future. Anyone know when???

                          Sandy
                        • R. Vogel
                          Message 12 of 20 , Mar 8, 2002
                            Ya, ya I know, you guys took what I meant out of context.... There are a
                            sh*tload of american artists that are pioneers and are world renouned....
                            that's not what I meant. =)

                            I specifically meant the UK nu-skool breakbeat scene.... there are no other
                            american artists getting as played / respected by europeans in that scene
                            besides Uberzone. Moby+Crystal Method etc are pretty mainstream artists, so
                            yeah they have wide reception, but the only CM I'm hearing from the nu-skool
                            scene is the Hybrid remix of "Name of the Game"!

                            Anyway, this all got way off topic, the original post was about Uberzone's
                            work with Distinctive....

                            > In terms of American electronic artists that get respect in Europe, let's
                            > not forget Moby & The Crystal Method are all Americans, not to mention the
                            > founders of Detroit Techno like Derrick May, Juan Atkins, Kevin Saunderson
                            > and Carl Craig. Their names might not be as familiar as BT, Moby, or Q
                            from
                            > Uberzone, but being a Detroiter all my life I can vouch for the insane
                            > number of Brits, and other Europeans, I met at the Detroit Electronic
                            Music
                            > Festival over the past 2 years.
                            >
                            > Matt A.
                          • Stuart Bruce
                            Message 13 of 20 , Mar 8, 2002
                              > On the subject of artwork, I'm afriad I'll have to go for the
                              > distorted face! I mean, I'm not freak (some say otherwise granted...
                              > sigh)... but there's nowt freakish about the face at all! In my
                              > opinion, the face is even kinda cute!!! (sh ock horror!) But, does
                              > anyone know that this is actually distorted? I mean, who rememb ers
                              > the Playstation ads a few years back with the girl... is it the same
                              > person? As fa r as I know, the girl in the playstation ad was
                              > genuine... so not distorted...!

                              The girl on the Playstation ad had a face distorted. At the time the
                              adverts started running, the company in charge of PR put out a couple of
                              well-timed press releases implying that the girl in the adverts really
                              was shaped like that, which got the ads some press attention (for
                              'exploiting freaks', that kind of thing) from gullible press. However
                              later on (can't remember exactly when) there were some pictures released
                              showing an image of her before and after the clever distortion. (Unless
                              the face was genuine and the pre-distortion pictures were the rouse...
                              strange how over-clever some of these companies try to be...).

                              I reckon that the "Wide Angle" cover isn't actually simply using a wide
                              angle lens, but a graphics package to produce a vaguely similar effect
                              but with different stretches and a different feel.

                              For me, neither cover is perfect. The original cover would look better
                              if there were no people in it, they get in the way of the great
                              furniture (sorry!) and I too was reminded of the Eels cover when I saw
                              the second version. I don't think either cover actually fits the album.

                              Stuart.

                              --
                              Stuart Bruce
                              stuart@...
                              Message 14 of 20 , Mar 8, 2002
                                In terms of American electronic artists that get respect in Europe, let's
                                not forget Moby & The Crystal Method are all Americans, not to mention the
                                founders of Detroit Techno like Derrick May, Juan Atkins, Kevin Saunderson
                                and Carl Craig. Their names might not be as familiar as BT, Moby, or Q from
                                Uberzone, but being a Detroiter all my life I can vouch for the insane
                                number of Brits, and other Europeans, I met at the Detroit Electronic Music
                                Festival over the past 2 years.

                                Matt A.

                                > what about all other US producers and singers (from all the possible
                                > genres) that get record deals and singles/albums released in Europe
                                > way before they get recognised in the US?
                                >
                                > Not to mention that Europe has the dubious distinction
                                > of "discovering" Backstreet Boys and then putting them back on the
                                > stateside music map and triggering the boy-band circus there?
                                >
                                > I may be a bit off-topic and off-genre here but even when it comes to
                                > breaks or trance or house to say that Q is "the only one" is a bit of
                                > a stretch of imagination.
                              • Drew Ressler
                                Message 15 of 20 , Mar 8, 2002
                                  Just for the non UK'ers like me who never saw the PlayStation ad being talked about, you can view it here:

                                  http://www.director-file.com/cunningham/

                                  It's 531.

                                  Yes, it even explains the girls face, and has the image of her before and after distortion
                                  http://www.director-file.com/cunningham/fifimoon.jpg

                                  (Along with all of Chris Cunningham's other great videos!)

                                  --Rukes

                                  > The girl on the Playstation ad had a face distorted. At the time the
                                  > adverts started running, the company in charge of PR put out a couple of
                                  > well-timed press releases implying that the girl in the adverts really
                                  > was shaped like that, which got the ads some press attention (for
                                  > 'exploiting freaks', that kind of thing) from gullible press. However
                                  > later on (can't remember exactly when) there were some pictures released
                                  > showing an image of her before and after the clever distortion. (Unless
                                  > the face was genuine and the pre-distortion pictures were the rouse...
                                  > strange how over-clever some of these companies try to be...).
                                • propellerheadcase
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Mar 9, 2002
                                    Yeah, a long strip across the cover with a panorama from mountains to
                                    desert, to sea, with some lightning in the mountains and a sunset
                                    over the sea - lots of photo-montage and airbrush work, but worth
                                    it :D

                                    Logo in black strip at top, title in black strip at bottom.