"invisible" producers

  • Antti Mutta
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2002
      Just out of curiosity, has anyone made a list of the people behind DJs-come-producers? I just checked the WOW album sleeve notes and apparently Blue is not written by Warren/Wisternoff, though it's marked as produced by them. Also Ajare lists a slew of other people behind the tune. Timo Maas' case is known, he mostly helps the real producer(s) by standing near in the studio. Same goes for some other widely known DJs and their "own" tunes. It would be just interesting to know who of our beloved DJs actually do all of their work, at least until mastering and mixing. BT should be one, though he's known to get help from Andy Page among others. Page has helped Cass/Slide as well, and Hybrid has one producer hiding in the shadows as well, right?

      And.. I am not trying to start a flaming war between any fans..

      -antti
    • vinnie970
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2002
        Well, many times, the people listed in the credits might be the ones
        behind the track in it's original form. BT's "Dreaming" existed
        previously in another form before Kirsty & BT spiced it up for 1999.
        Of course, BT's greatest tracks have many times been collaborations
        (not to take away from his original work!). WOW's "The Gift" uses a
        distinct vocal snippet from Nicole Jackon's "The First Time I Ever
        Saw Your Face" (used w/ permission). According to the
        credits, "Blue" appears to be written by David Dundas & Rick
        Wentworth, but the production is clearly credited to W.O.W. I'm not
        sure what credits you have, but on the debut album and '97
        single, "Ajare" is credited to T. Siddique/J. Wisternoff/N. Warren.
        I can't comment on how much impact the former individual had because
        I simply don't know, but I suspect it's not much different than the
        following cases: Putnam & Cruise's role in "If I Survive," "Dreaming
        Your Dreams," and Putnam's role in "Finished Symphony," just to give
        a similar example.

        In each example, I'm sure everyone had a unique influence, and that
        the impact of said influence varied widely.

        VH.