RE: [Hybrid] Kid 2000 video

  • Vic Wukovits
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 28, 2002
      Did anyone from the UK ever step to the plate for ripping these gems to
      DiVX?

      Victor R. Wukovits

      >Just watched the White Disc volume 7 DVD, with the "Kid 2000" video on
      >it- another Hybrid video that I've just seen for the first time. Not as
      >stunning as the "If I Survive" video, it's based around Chrissie Hynde
      >standing around on a white stage singing and dancing (where "dancing" in
      >this instance describes waving your arms around aimlessly and
      >impersonating a young sapling in an Autumn breeze) while a screen behind
      >her alternates between showing clips from the Kevin & Perry Movie, and
      >clips of the three men of Hybrid doing colourful things.
      <snip>
    • tim_bolding@dell.com
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 28, 2002
        No they just tell us how good they are and expect us to use our
        imaginations.
        :o)

        Tim

        >Did anyone from the UK ever step to the plate for ripping these gems to
        >DiVX?
        >
        >Victor R. Wukovits
      • Ray Hilton
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 1, 2002
          Seriously, I wouldn't mind sorting this out, if Mr Bruce is happy for me
          to borrow the DVDs for a night, I could rip them and have them up to
          download pretty quick....

          >No they just tell us how good they are and expect us to use our
          >imaginations.
          >:o)
          >
          >Tim
          >
          >>Did anyone from the UK ever step to the plate for ripping these gems to
          >>DiVX?
          >>
          >>Victor R. Wukovits
        • Tammy Gowers
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 1, 2002
            The faces they are pulling are rather comical....but at least they're
            consistent!! Look at any promo picture/vid of them and you'll notice the
            'trying-to-do-the-cool-thing-but-actually-achieving-acute-awkwardness'
            scenario.

            The best offering yet though has to be the original cover for Wide Angle,
            which features all three Hybrid boys fashioning rather interesting white
            suits. Must be the 'I've-just-escaped-from-nearest-asylum' look. Or maybe
            its 'can-you-tell-us-from-Westlife'. Again, it's blatently obvious that
            they're not happy...hence the reason they changed it and settled for the PS1
            bird.
            It doesn't suit them.

            They'd be better off getting a couple of sofas, plonking themselves down and
            giving us all a big cheesy grin and the thumbs up.
            Cause that's what they do best!!
            Tam xx

            >the only real problem with these
            >sections is that each Hybrid member is pulling his own "producer pout"-
            >standing around and doing very little indeed, whilst wearing a face that is
            >part miserable, part bored, part trying-to-look-cool, part
            >don't-actually-know-what-to-do and part
            >look-at-me-I'm-definitely-not-Britney-Spears-and-that's-a-reason-to-
            >like-me. Lots of programmers and producers pull this kind of face when
            >they're in a music video so you might know the sort of face I'm talking
            >about...
          • Nick Bower
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 1, 2002
              Yeah - and a pint of beer in each hand!!

              ;)

              Nick

              >They'd be better off getting a couple of sofas, plonking themselves down
              >and
              >giving us all a big cheesy grin and the thumbs up.
              >Cause that's what they do best!!
              >Tam xx
            • waldtricki
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 2, 2002
                maybe its just me but ive always loved the original artwork much more
                than that distorted face. I mean you can over anaylze the serious
                looks on their faces and discount it but i think that colors are much
                more visually appealing and too add to it, the peice of glowing blue
                neon art in the backround is just flat out cool. i was actually
                really dissapointed when they changed the artwork for the US release
                and i asked mike about it although i dont remember why he said they
                changed it he said something to the effect of "it was julie's face in
                the morning"....which sent me laughing hysterically

                i think we should do another poll on this subject, Distored face or
                orginal artwork... Whadda ya say Ally =0

              • ally@hybrid-group.co.uk
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 2, 2002
                  > i think we should do another poll on this subject, Distored face or
                  > orginal artwork... Whadda ya say Ally =0

                  Urgh...original artwork def. - I'm really not keen on the distorted
                  face. It does get the album noticed though...

                  Ally
                • Jitesh Mistry
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 2, 2002
                    Quoting ally@...:

                    > > i think we should do another poll on this subject, Distored face or
                    > > orginal artwork... Whadda ya say Ally =0
                    >
                    > Urgh...original artwork def. - I'm really not keen on the distorted
                    > face. It does get the album noticed though...
                    >
                    > Ally

                    I agree too.. okay I don't own a copy of Wide Angle, just Wider Angle (please
                    don't flame for this). That face freaks me out somewhat, I don't look at the
                    jewel case anymore, I just deftly handle it without looking at it anymore... I
                    really ought to be myself a copy of Wide Angle for collector's sake. I think
                    I'll pop down to Vinyl Exchange on Tuesday...

                    Later,
                    Jits.
                    [Bit peeved that I can't go to The Cross as it's mothers day weekend, and it
                    was my mother's birthday for Fabric... *sigh* I need a Hybrid DJing fix!]
                  • Phil Stewart
                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 2, 2002
                      From: <ally@...>
                      > > i think we should do another poll on this subject, Distored face or
                      > > orginal artwork... Whadda ya say Ally =0
                      >
                      > Urgh...original artwork def. - I'm really not keen on the distorted
                      > face. It does get the album noticed though...

                      I've been missing out on this convo a bit, not having the original album (I
                      have Wider Angle, Wider Angle Vinyl, and Wide Angle US Promo, all the face),
                      but then I remembered I've got the poster (I'm guessing it's a dodgy
                      flavoured sandwich; it's got their attention, but they're in two minds about
                      whether to go for it :-)

                      As for the distorted face, well I have that on a poster too (along with the
                      If I Survive poster), and I have the distorted face duplicate in a huage
                      poster. I've not got round to putting any of them up (I've previously been
                      too busy or lazy to get round to buying picture hooks, now I'm too poor as
                      well :-) ... but then I'm not sure I really want to have huge distorted face
                      staring at me from across the room :-)

                      --
                      From Phil
                      Desperately trying to work out how not to be a penniless student who can't
                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 5, 2002
                        Distorted face for sure. It's one of the few posters I brought to my
                        dorm room and it "trips people out."

                        The original artwork isn't bad either, but the face is just more,
                        well, unique.
                      • jonny chan
                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 6, 2002
                          On the subject of artwork, I'm afriad I'll have to go for the distorted face! I mean, I'm not freak (some say otherwise granted... sigh)... but there's nowt freakish about the face at all! In my opinion, the face is even kinda cute!!! (shock horror!) But, does anyone know that this is actually distorted? I mean, who remembers the Playstation ads a few years back with the girl... is it the same person? As far as I know, the girl in the playstation ad was genuine... so not distorted...! So if you guys reckon that the face is distorted somewhat, think about it... that face probably exists for real!!... Anyway, as I say, I don't think it's freakish at all.... I'll stop me ramblings.......... Peace. Jonny.

                          > I agree too.. okay I don't own a copy of Wide Angle, just Wider Angle
                          >(please don't flame for this). That face freaks me out somewhat, I don't look > at the jewel case anymore, I just deftly handle it without looking at it
                          > anymore
                        • c_chilton
                          Message 12 of 20 , Mar 6, 2002
                            --- In HybridUK@y..., "jonny chan" <smelly_rats_ass@h...> wrote:
                            But, does anyone know that this is actually distorted? I mean, who
                            remembers the Playstation ads a few years back with the girl... is it
                            the same person? As far as I know, the girl in the playstation ad was
                            genuine... so not distorted...! So if you guys reckon that the face
                            is distorted somewhat, think about it... that face probably exists
                            for real!!...
                            ----

                            I reckon the camera had some kind of 'wide angle' lens on :)

                            Chuck
                          • Matthew Craig
                            Message 13 of 20 , Mar 6, 2002
                              I have to go with the original "Wide Angle" cover. Say what you will
                              about the uncomfortable "producer faces" - that cover just looks more
                              stylish to me. Maybe not the most original idea but it's clean, simple, and
                              it looks good.

                              The distorted face is 1.) a little freaky and 2.) seemed almost too
                              obvious for an album calling itself "Wider Angle". I will say that the
                              bluish-negative version of that image looks quite cool though.

                              --Matthew Craig (Flashpoint)
                            • Antti Mutta
                              Message 14 of 20 , Mar 6, 2002
                                I'd say it's taken with a camera equipped with fish eye lense just like the
                                picture of the Hybrid guys inside the car in the inner sleeve notes.

                                > But, does anyone know that this is actually distorted? I mean, who
                                remembers the Playstation ads a few years back with the >girl... is it the
                                same person? As far as I know, the girl in the playstation ad was genuine...
                                so not distorted...! So if you guys >reckon that the face is distorted
                                somewhat, think about it... that face probably exists for real!!
                              • Sandy Lao
                                Message 15 of 20 , Mar 7, 2002
                                  Any Uberzone Fans from LA? I've heard he is working
                                  with Distinctive and he has a track due sometimes in
                                  the future. Anyone know when???

                                  Sandy
                                • R. Vogel
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Mar 8, 2002
                                    Ya, ya I know, you guys took what I meant out of context.... There are a
                                    sh*tload of american artists that are pioneers and are world renouned....
                                    that's not what I meant. =)

                                    I specifically meant the UK nu-skool breakbeat scene.... there are no other
                                    american artists getting as played / respected by europeans in that scene
                                    besides Uberzone. Moby+Crystal Method etc are pretty mainstream artists, so
                                    yeah they have wide reception, but the only CM I'm hearing from the nu-skool
                                    scene is the Hybrid remix of "Name of the Game"!

                                    Anyway, this all got way off topic, the original post was about Uberzone's
                                    work with Distinctive....

                                    > In terms of American electronic artists that get respect in Europe, let's
                                    > not forget Moby & The Crystal Method are all Americans, not to mention the
                                    > founders of Detroit Techno like Derrick May, Juan Atkins, Kevin Saunderson
                                    > and Carl Craig. Their names might not be as familiar as BT, Moby, or Q
                                    from
                                    > Uberzone, but being a Detroiter all my life I can vouch for the insane
                                    > number of Brits, and other Europeans, I met at the Detroit Electronic
                                    Music
                                    > Festival over the past 2 years.
                                    >
                                    > Matt A.
                                  • Stuart Bruce
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Mar 8, 2002
                                      > On the subject of artwork, I'm afriad I'll have to go for the
                                      > distorted face! I mean, I'm not freak (some say otherwise granted...
                                      > sigh)... but there's nowt freakish about the face at all! In my
                                      > opinion, the face is even kinda cute!!! (sh ock horror!) But, does
                                      > anyone know that this is actually distorted? I mean, who rememb ers
                                      > the Playstation ads a few years back with the girl... is it the same
                                      > person? As fa r as I know, the girl in the playstation ad was
                                      > genuine... so not distorted...!

                                      The girl on the Playstation ad had a face distorted. At the time the
                                      adverts started running, the company in charge of PR put out a couple of
                                      well-timed press releases implying that the girl in the adverts really
                                      was shaped like that, which got the ads some press attention (for
                                      'exploiting freaks', that kind of thing) from gullible press. However
                                      later on (can't remember exactly when) there were some pictures released
                                      showing an image of her before and after the clever distortion. (Unless
                                      the face was genuine and the pre-distortion pictures were the rouse...
                                      strange how over-clever some of these companies try to be...).

                                      I reckon that the "Wide Angle" cover isn't actually simply using a wide
                                      angle lens, but a graphics package to produce a vaguely similar effect
                                      but with different stretches and a different feel.

                                      For me, neither cover is perfect. The original cover would look better
                                      if there were no people in it, they get in the way of the great
                                      furniture (sorry!) and I too was reminded of the Eels cover when I saw
                                      the second version. I don't think either cover actually fits the album.

                                      Stuart.

                                      --
                                      Stuart Bruce
                                      stuart@...
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Mar 8, 2002
                                        In terms of American electronic artists that get respect in Europe, let's
                                        not forget Moby & The Crystal Method are all Americans, not to mention the
                                        founders of Detroit Techno like Derrick May, Juan Atkins, Kevin Saunderson
                                        and Carl Craig. Their names might not be as familiar as BT, Moby, or Q from
                                        Uberzone, but being a Detroiter all my life I can vouch for the insane
                                        number of Brits, and other Europeans, I met at the Detroit Electronic Music
                                        Festival over the past 2 years.

                                        Matt A.

                                        > what about all other US producers and singers (from all the possible
                                        > genres) that get record deals and singles/albums released in Europe
                                        > way before they get recognised in the US?
                                        >
                                        > Not to mention that Europe has the dubious distinction
                                        > of "discovering" Backstreet Boys and then putting them back on the
                                        > stateside music map and triggering the boy-band circus there?
                                        >
                                        > I may be a bit off-topic and off-genre here but even when it comes to
                                        > breaks or trance or house to say that Q is "the only one" is a bit of
                                        > a stretch of imagination.
                                      • Drew Ressler
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Mar 8, 2002
                                          Just for the non UK'ers like me who never saw the PlayStation ad being talked about, you can view it here:

                                          http://www.director-file.com/cunningham/

                                          It's 531.

                                          Yes, it even explains the girls face, and has the image of her before and after distortion
                                          http://www.director-file.com/cunningham/fifimoon.jpg

                                          (Along with all of Chris Cunningham's other great videos!)

                                          --Rukes

                                          > The girl on the Playstation ad had a face distorted. At the time the
                                          > adverts started running, the company in charge of PR put out a couple of
                                          > well-timed press releases implying that the girl in the adverts really
                                          > was shaped like that, which got the ads some press attention (for
                                          > 'exploiting freaks', that kind of thing) from gullible press. However
                                          > later on (can't remember exactly when) there were some pictures released
                                          > showing an image of her before and after the clever distortion. (Unless
                                          > the face was genuine and the pre-distortion pictures were the rouse...
                                          > strange how over-clever some of these companies try to be...).
                                        • propellerheadcase
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Mar 9, 2002
                                            Yeah, a long strip across the cover with a panorama from mountains to
                                            desert, to sea, with some lightning in the mountains and a sunset
                                            over the sea - lots of photo-montage and airbrush work, but worth
                                            it :D

                                            Logo in black strip at top, title in black strip at bottom.