Kid 2000 video

  • Stuart Bruce
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 28, 2002
      Just watched the White Disc volume 7 DVD, with the "Kid 2000" video on
      it- another Hybrid video that I've just seen for the first time. Not as
      stunning as the "If I Survive" video, it's based around Chrissie Hynde
      standing around on a white stage singing and dancing (where "dancing" in
      this instance describes waving your arms around aimlessly and
      impersonating a young sapling in an Autumn breeze) while a screen behind
      her alternates between showing clips from the Kevin & Perry Movie, and
      clips of the three men of Hybrid doing colourful things.

      The 'colourful things' are actually the neatest part of the video, and
      involve mostly Mike doing a selection of things like welding, spinning
      some lights around, and putting a candle out... which ultimately looks a
      lot better on screen than I've just described it in words. Each action
      is set in a particular colour, and the only real problem with these
      sections is that each Hybrid member is pulling his own "producer pout"-
      standing around and doing very little indeed, whilst wearing a face that
      is part miserable, part bored, part trying-to-look-cool, part
      don't-actually-know-what-to-do and part
      look-at-me-I'm-definitely-not-Britney-Spears-and-that's-a-reason-to-
      like-me. Lots of programmers and producers pull this kind of face when
      they're in a music video so you might know the sort of face I'm talking
      about...

      Anyway, an OK video but pretty basic.

      Timo Maas' "Der Scheiber" video, meanwhile, is one of the funniest
      low-budget videos I've ever seen. Now *there's* how to make a good video
      if you don't have much money.

      Stuart.

      --
      Stuart Bruce
      stuart@...
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2, 2002
        Where did you see those vids??? Any clue if they are
        online???

        --- Stuart Bruce <breaks@...> wrote:

        > Just watched the White Disc volume 7 DVD, with the
        > "Kid 2000" video on
        > it- another Hybrid video that I've just seen for the
        > first time. Not as
        > stunning as the "If I Survive" video, it's based
        > around Chrissie Hynde
        > standing around on a white stage singing and dancing
        > (where "dancing" in
        > this instance describes waving your arms around
        > aimlessly and
        > impersonating a young sapling in an Autumn breeze)
        > while a screen behind
        > her alternates between showing clips from the Kevin
        > & Perry Movie, and
        > clips of the three men of Hybrid doing colourful
        > things.
        <snip>
      • Stuart Bruce
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 2, 2002
          On Fri 01 Mar, HybridUK@yahoogroups.com wrote:
          > The faces they are pulling are rather comical....but at least they're
          > consistent!! Look at any promo picture/vid of them and you'll notice
          > the
          > 'trying-to-do-the-cool-thing-but-actually-achieving-acute-awkwardness'
          > scenario.

          'strue. In the "If I Survive" video you only get to see it for a second,
          which is as long as the illusion of coolness really lasts. Once
          you've looked at the original UK cover of "Wide Angle" for more than a
          few seconds you realise that all three of the boys have been told to
          stare at an invisible sandwich which is sat on the floor near Julie's
          feet.

          It's a shame that so many great musicians who are over 25 conclude that
          the only way to retain any credibility when you're being photographed or
          filmed is to look as if you just don't want to be there and that you'd
          rather be at home listening to Gardener's Question Time. Some others
          have found ways around it- like Norman Cook- but Hybrid have yet to find
          that natural position. You don't need to look depressed to prove that
          you're serious about music, etc.

          > They'd be better off getting a couple of sofas, plonking themselves
          > down and giving us all a big cheesy grin and the thumbs up. Cause
          > that's what they do best!!

          Unfortunately Groove Armada have already covered the sofa approach to
          band photographs, but pulling the producer pout as well of course.
          You're right, there should be more cheesy grins in music, from the
          people who make it rather than just the nutters that shove into
          everybody on the dancefloor. Mr C, for all his sins, was a larf.

          Stuart.

          --
          Stuart Bruce
          stuart@...
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 2, 2002
            As did MPeople before them.

            'E's are good, E's are good, 'e's Ebeneezer Goode'