Re: [Hybrid] OT: Icq / messenger?

  • Phil Stewart
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 17, 2002
      > Get with the cool gang Andy...you need ICQ - I'm currently having an
      > entire conversation only with emoticons with Nick.
      > There's quite a few of us on there actually.

      I dunno about anyone else, but I've really grwon away from ICQ in recent
      times, since they started spamming icq 2000b with adverts. I use a different
      icq client now, but it doesn't work properly :-(

      --
      From Phil
      Msngr: phil@...
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 17, 2002
        Trillian is the answer.. aim/icq/msn/yahoo/irc all in one, and no extra
        bloat like regular ICQ. www.trillian.cc :)

        -Andy
      • tim_bolding@dell.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 17, 2002
          I would have to second that... Trillian is the way to go.

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 17, 2002
            Absolutely, Phil. ICQ is what is lovingly known as bloatware, i.e.
            just too damn big for what people want it for - MSN Messenger on the
            other hand is relatively small, quite well integrated (for
            MicroSoft:p) and easy to use - though i admit i didn't know there was
            a contacts limit :o

            Whenever anyone had a problem with crashing whilst on-line at my last
            job, if they had ICQ, it was the culprit - uninstall it - and the
            problem disappeared :D

          • ally@hybrid-group.co.uk
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 17, 2002
              Ok....I've started using the new release of MSN and it's loads better than
              the last one - and better than ICQ actually.

              I'll keep 'em both on.

              hybridfan@...

              Ally
            • G3K
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 17, 2002
                Yes, ICQ is a victim of OverBloat, but so is the newest version of Trillian... I used the older version but discarded it after a few months (too crashy). The new version is wonderful and stable, but is so bright and cluttered it hurts to look at.

                Personally, I use AIM (g3n3r8t10n) and MSN IM (generation_85@...) for most of my messaging needs - they may be clunky and run by two of the most horrible, abusive large megacorporations in the world -

                but at least they work.

                <<<G3K>>>
                generation_3000@...

                ...never forget:
                http://www.geocities.com/generation_4000/remember.jpg

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 18, 2002
                    Hi,

                    > Ok....I've started using the new release of MSN and it's loads better than
                    > the last one - and better than ICQ actually.

                    True enough although AIM is just a little better in my opinion. Mainly
                    because AIM is available on various platforms where as MSN isn't for obvious
                    reasons. Oh, there's even a Java version which will run from just about any
                    browser which is handy when you're on a foreign PC.

                    To be honest, all this talk once again highlights the problem that there is
                    no unified instant messenger protocol... much like *tada* email (POP3 /
                    SMTP).

                    ... and don't even get me started on Trillian and it's "interface". If
                    someone comes up with a "looks like a *normal* windows programme and is
                    usable" skin for it then I may use it in future ;)

                    That's my 2 Euro Cent worth!

                    - Neil

                    [[[ Ally says: Ok, end of ICQ / MSN / AIM discussion now please...we could all argue forever no doubt :) ]]]