Re: [Hybrid] If they find the right samples...

  • Stuart Bruce
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2002
      On Sun 30 Dec, aladar4 wrote:

      > The boys could find chart success. I don't think chart success is a
      > bad thing. The model is Jakatta's "American Dream." They (he) found
      > the right samples, hyped it as a bootleg. It was a chart hit in the
      > UK. January/February is the time to release such stuff. The second
      > single comes out in May, the album in time for summer holiday clubs.
      > Third single for people coming back from hols in September. Album
      > with bonus mixes and tracks released in last week of November.

      That's a fairly standard model of a potential release plan for a pop
      act, rather than a dance act.

      Dance acts would have schedules that are a lot more open-ended and which
      will be much more dependant on how quickly or slowly tracks become big
      in clubs and sets, which is where their promotion is mainly done- as
      opposed to pop acts who can send stuff out to radio and TV at exactly
      the time they feel like it, and so can be much more in control.

      Also, the Jakatta track benefitted from the "American Beauty"
      connection, which was an instant way to boost its radio play.

      Basically that plan is *far* too short- it's rare for anybody other than
      an A-list act (Kylie Minogue-sized) to get three singles, an album,
      *and* a rereleased album with bonus mixes out within 12 months...

      Stuart.

      --
      Stuart Bruce
      stuart@...
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 3, 2002
        Yep, nothing like sampling a popular movie s/t to get you some
        airplay.

        Also, bear in mind, that for the most part (and I know it's not the
        case with the upcoming Hybrid album) "pop" acts generally produce an
        album and lift singles from it were dance and metal acts often put
        out several singles, maybe even an EP before putting an album out. A
        case of the tail wagging the dogs food-bowl, methinks.