Re: [HybridUK] Re: N. American dates!

  • Gen Kanai
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 10 6:44 PM
      Damn straight! I've never seen Moby live but I've seen Hybrid 3 times in
      the US and they were great 2 times and good the last time.

      Can anyone who's seen both Moby and Hybrid tell me who puts on a better
      show? (we all know who has the better music but in terms of a
      "performance" who's better?)

      Every time I've seen them there has been no vocalist (what a shame!) but
      they have had 3 main guys and then the DJ adding percussion and scratching
      live. They were amazing at the Viper Room which is a really small venue
      because they were really up close and really giving it all their
      emotion. I almost died and went to heaven on the dancefloor that night....

      Gen

      At 01:37 AM 8/11/00 +0000, you wrote:
      > > 10/15 Ithaca,NY Bailey Hall
      >
      >Damn, this is awesome. Hybrid are coming to my school Cornell
      >University in October!!! Since, Hybrid is "opening" for Moby, will
      >they put on a full show with the works (all three guys, plus live
      >drummer and scratch artist)? Forget Moby, Hybrid are the real
      >attraction and I know this tour will convince everyone who hasn't
      >heard them that they and their ilk are the real sound of cutting-edge
      >dance music. Next step, release wide angle in the states!!!
      >
      >Ahmad
    • Stuart Bruce
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 11 2:01 AM
        On Fri 11 Aug, Gen Kanai wrote:
        > Can anyone who's seen both Moby and Hybrid tell me who puts on a
        > better show? (we all know who has the better music but in terms of a
        > "performance" who's better?)

        Seen both artists twice, & heard a couple of live recordings of each
        artist as well.

        Moby himself is the showman of the pack- of the two bands, he's the one
        who jumps around, talks to the audience, shouts a lot, etc.- by a long
        way. After thg gig, that's the person that the audience will be talking
        about. It's good entertainment- the only downside is that he doesn't
        seem to have changed his setlist for an entire year, meaning that the
        second time you see him you know _exactly_ what to expect. He'll say
        "thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou" after certain songs, he'll explain
        that he always wanted to do a version of the James Bond theme, he'll end
        with "Thousand" and stand on top of his keyboard when he does.

        Some people've said that Moby's female bass player is quite attractive,
        I have no opinion about that but thought it might be worth mentioning.
        The rest of the Moby band pale into the background.

        The first time I saw Hybrid, Julee Cruise was singing, and she's not
        nearly as active a frontperson, but she was doing a few bizarre hippy
        arm movements and generally looking a bit like she was slightly mad in
        the head. Because the rest of the Hybrid are mostly fixed behind
        immobile instruments (keyboards, sequencers, decks) there's less to
        watch on stage. Hybrid are not a one-man-band, so nobody steals the
        limelight.

        Overall I guess this means that Moby is the better visual entertainment,
        providing you don't find some of his 'antics' a bit annoying (especially
        if you've seen him before). Maybe not the answer I'm supposed to give to
        the Hybrid list, but there you go. Hybrid are still a must-see.

        Stuart.

        --
        Stuart Bruce
        stuart@...
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 14 4:29 AM
          Moby....*yawn*  After seeing him four times in my locale of Dallas, TX, I'm dying for a Hybrid performance!

          Vince H.
          > Can anyone who's seen both Moby and Hybrid tell me who puts on a
          > better  show?  (we all know who has the better music but in terms of a
          > "performance" who's better?)

          Seen both artists twice, & heard a couple of live recordings of each
          artist as well.

          Moby himself is the showman of the pack- of the two bands, he's the one
          who jumps around, talks to the audience, shouts a lot, etc.- by a long
          way. After thg gig, that's the person that the audience will be talking
          about. It's good entertainment- the only downside is that he doesn't
          seem to have changed his setlist for an entire year, meaning that the
          second time you see him you know _exactly_ what to expect. He'll say
          "thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou" after certain songs, he'll explain
          that he always wanted to do a version of the James Bond theme, he'll end
          with "Thousand" and stand on top of his keyboard when he does.

          Some people've said that Moby's female bass player is quite attractive,
          I have no opinion about that but thought it might be worth mentioning.
          The rest of the Moby band pale into the background.

          The first time I saw Hybrid, Julee Cruise was singing, and she's not
          nearly as active a frontperson, but she was doing a few bizarre hippy
          arm movements and generally looking a bit like she was slightly mad in
          the head. Because the rest of the Hybrid are mostly fixed behind
          immobile instruments (keyboards, sequencers, decks) there's less to
          watch on stage. Hybrid are not a one-man-band, so nobody steals the
          limelight.

          Overall I guess this means that Moby is the better visual entertainment,
          providing you don't find some of his 'antics' a bit annoying (especially
          if you've seen him before). Maybe not the answer I'm supposed to give to
          the Hybrid list, but there you go. Hybrid are still a must-see.

          Stuart.

          --
                             Stuart Bruce
              stuart@...
               music@...
          http://www.atomiser.demon.co.uk

                            USEFUL LINKS

          Distinctive Records - Hybrid's record label - featuring video clips, sound and you can buy some Hybrid tunes here!
          http://www.distinctiverecords.com

          Hybrid Fan Site : Find out the latest news about Hybrid and related artists

          Breaksworld : Breakbeat news, reviews, tunes, DJ mixes, charts and loads more.
          http://www.breaksworld.com/