Re: N. American dates!

  • Ahmad Hutasuhut
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 10, 2000
      > 10/15 Ithaca,NY Bailey Hall

      Damn, this is awesome. Hybrid are coming to my school Cornell
      University in October!!! Since, Hybrid is "opening" for Moby, will
      they put on a full show with the works (all three guys, plus live
      drummer and scratch artist)? Forget Moby, Hybrid are the real
      attraction and I know this tour will convince everyone who hasn't
      heard them that they and their ilk are the real sound of cutting-edge
      dance music. Next step, release wide angle in the states!!!

      Ahmad
    • Gen Kanai
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 10, 2000
        Damn straight! I've never seen Moby live but I've seen Hybrid 3 times in
        the US and they were great 2 times and good the last time.

        Can anyone who's seen both Moby and Hybrid tell me who puts on a better
        show? (we all know who has the better music but in terms of a
        "performance" who's better?)

        Every time I've seen them there has been no vocalist (what a shame!) but
        they have had 3 main guys and then the DJ adding percussion and scratching
        live. They were amazing at the Viper Room which is a really small venue
        because they were really up close and really giving it all their
        emotion. I almost died and went to heaven on the dancefloor that night....

        Gen

        At 01:37 AM 8/11/00 +0000, you wrote:
        > > 10/15 Ithaca,NY Bailey Hall
        >
        >Damn, this is awesome. Hybrid are coming to my school Cornell
        >University in October!!! Since, Hybrid is "opening" for Moby, will
        >they put on a full show with the works (all three guys, plus live
        >drummer and scratch artist)? Forget Moby, Hybrid are the real
        >attraction and I know this tour will convince everyone who hasn't
        >heard them that they and their ilk are the real sound of cutting-edge
        >dance music. Next step, release wide angle in the states!!!
        >
        >Ahmad
      • Stuart Bruce
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 11, 2000
          On Fri 11 Aug, Gen Kanai wrote:
          > Can anyone who's seen both Moby and Hybrid tell me who puts on a
          > better show? (we all know who has the better music but in terms of a
          > "performance" who's better?)

          Seen both artists twice, & heard a couple of live recordings of each
          artist as well.

          Moby himself is the showman of the pack- of the two bands, he's the one
          who jumps around, talks to the audience, shouts a lot, etc.- by a long
          way. After thg gig, that's the person that the audience will be talking
          about. It's good entertainment- the only downside is that he doesn't
          seem to have changed his setlist for an entire year, meaning that the
          second time you see him you know _exactly_ what to expect. He'll say
          "thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou" after certain songs, he'll explain
          that he always wanted to do a version of the James Bond theme, he'll end
          with "Thousand" and stand on top of his keyboard when he does.

          Some people've said that Moby's female bass player is quite attractive,
          I have no opinion about that but thought it might be worth mentioning.
          The rest of the Moby band pale into the background.

          The first time I saw Hybrid, Julee Cruise was singing, and she's not
          nearly as active a frontperson, but she was doing a few bizarre hippy
          arm movements and generally looking a bit like she was slightly mad in
          the head. Because the rest of the Hybrid are mostly fixed behind
          immobile instruments (keyboards, sequencers, decks) there's less to
          watch on stage. Hybrid are not a one-man-band, so nobody steals the
          limelight.

          Overall I guess this means that Moby is the better visual entertainment,
          providing you don't find some of his 'antics' a bit annoying (especially
          if you've seen him before). Maybe not the answer I'm supposed to give to
          the Hybrid list, but there you go. Hybrid are still a must-see.

          Stuart.

          --
          Stuart Bruce
          stuart@...
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 14, 2000
            Moby....*yawn*  After seeing him four times in my locale of Dallas, TX, I'm dying for a Hybrid performance!

            Vince H.
            > Can anyone who's seen both Moby and Hybrid tell me who puts on a
            > better  show?  (we all know who has the better music but in terms of a
            > "performance" who's better?)

            Seen both artists twice, & heard a couple of live recordings of each
            artist as well.

            Moby himself is the showman of the pack- of the two bands, he's the one
            who jumps around, talks to the audience, shouts a lot, etc.- by a long
            way. After thg gig, that's the person that the audience will be talking
            about. It's good entertainment- the only downside is that he doesn't
            seem to have changed his setlist for an entire year, meaning that the
            second time you see him you know _exactly_ what to expect. He'll say
            "thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou" after certain songs, he'll explain
            that he always wanted to do a version of the James Bond theme, he'll end
            with "Thousand" and stand on top of his keyboard when he does.

            Some people've said that Moby's female bass player is quite attractive,
            I have no opinion about that but thought it might be worth mentioning.
            The rest of the Moby band pale into the background.

            The first time I saw Hybrid, Julee Cruise was singing, and she's not
            nearly as active a frontperson, but she was doing a few bizarre hippy
            arm movements and generally looking a bit like she was slightly mad in
            the head. Because the rest of the Hybrid are mostly fixed behind
            immobile instruments (keyboards, sequencers, decks) there's less to
            watch on stage. Hybrid are not a one-man-band, so nobody steals the
            limelight.

            Overall I guess this means that Moby is the better visual entertainment,
            providing you don't find some of his 'antics' a bit annoying (especially
            if you've seen him before). Maybe not the answer I'm supposed to give to
            the Hybrid list, but there you go. Hybrid are still a must-see.

            Stuart.

            --
                               Stuart Bruce
                stuart@...
                 music@...
            http://www.atomiser.demon.co.uk

                              USEFUL LINKS

            Distinctive Records - Hybrid's record label - featuring video clips, sound and you can buy some Hybrid tunes here!
            http://www.distinctiverecords.com

            Hybrid Fan Site : Find out the latest news about Hybrid and related artists

            Breaksworld : Breakbeat news, reviews, tunes, DJ mixes, charts and loads more.
            http://www.breaksworld.com/