N. American dates!

  • aras
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 9, 2000
      Hey there - I've got some info for you regarding Hybrid's upcoming North
      American tour with Moby. Apparently they are doing 44 (!) gigs in all.
      Here's what I have so far:

      DATE CITY VENUE

      (9/8 Denver Red Rocks (with Rabbit in the Moon, not
      Hybrid)
      9/9 Salt Lake City Kingsbury Hall
      9/10 Boise Double Tree Ballroom
      9/12 Vancouver Plaza Of Nations
      9/13 Seattle Paramount Theatre
      9/14 Portland Roseland Ballroom
      9/16 San Francisco Warfield
      9/18 Santa Barbara Arlington
      9/23 San Diego Cox Auditorium
      9/24 Los Angeles Greek Theatre
      9/26 Phoenix Web Theatre
      9/27 Albuquerque Sunshine Theatre
      9/29 Houston Ariel
      9/30 Dallas Bronco Bowl
      10/1 Austin Music Hall
      10/3 St. Louis American Theatre
      10/4 Kansas City Memorial Hall
      10/6 Chicago Aragon
      10/8 Milwaukee Eagles
      10/12 Detroit State Theatre
      10/13 Rochester, NY Clark Gym
      10/14 Toronto Warehouse
      10/15 Ithacia,NY Bailey Hall
      10/17 Montreal Metropolis
      10/21 New York Hammerstein

      I agree the Hybrid mix of 2 Bad Mice's "Bombscare" is not much cop. That
      new "High Velocity" mix of "Snyper" also on "Y3K" vol. 2 is lovely though.
      The "Snyper" mix is also out on vinyl, with the wicked Tsunami One mix of
      Orbital's "Nothing Left" on the flip - look for Y3K EP 5. Stay tuned for
      a full Y3K feature on my site Breaksworld.com featuring DJ Hyper and the
      almighty BLIM.

      Bye!
      Aras

      aras@...
      http://www.breaksworld.com/
    • Ahmad Hutasuhut
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 10, 2000
        > 10/15 Ithaca,NY Bailey Hall

        Damn, this is awesome. Hybrid are coming to my school Cornell
        University in October!!! Since, Hybrid is "opening" for Moby, will
        they put on a full show with the works (all three guys, plus live
        drummer and scratch artist)? Forget Moby, Hybrid are the real
        attraction and I know this tour will convince everyone who hasn't
        heard them that they and their ilk are the real sound of cutting-edge
        dance music. Next step, release wide angle in the states!!!

        Ahmad
      • Gen Kanai
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 10, 2000
          Damn straight! I've never seen Moby live but I've seen Hybrid 3 times in
          the US and they were great 2 times and good the last time.

          Can anyone who's seen both Moby and Hybrid tell me who puts on a better
          show? (we all know who has the better music but in terms of a
          "performance" who's better?)

          Every time I've seen them there has been no vocalist (what a shame!) but
          they have had 3 main guys and then the DJ adding percussion and scratching
          live. They were amazing at the Viper Room which is a really small venue
          because they were really up close and really giving it all their
          emotion. I almost died and went to heaven on the dancefloor that night....

          Gen

          At 01:37 AM 8/11/00 +0000, you wrote:
          > > 10/15 Ithaca,NY Bailey Hall
          >
          >Damn, this is awesome. Hybrid are coming to my school Cornell
          >University in October!!! Since, Hybrid is "opening" for Moby, will
          >they put on a full show with the works (all three guys, plus live
          >drummer and scratch artist)? Forget Moby, Hybrid are the real
          >attraction and I know this tour will convince everyone who hasn't
          >heard them that they and their ilk are the real sound of cutting-edge
          >dance music. Next step, release wide angle in the states!!!
          >
          >Ahmad
        • Stuart Bruce
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 11, 2000
            On Fri 11 Aug, Gen Kanai wrote:
            > Can anyone who's seen both Moby and Hybrid tell me who puts on a
            > better show? (we all know who has the better music but in terms of a
            > "performance" who's better?)

            Seen both artists twice, & heard a couple of live recordings of each
            artist as well.

            Moby himself is the showman of the pack- of the two bands, he's the one
            who jumps around, talks to the audience, shouts a lot, etc.- by a long
            way. After thg gig, that's the person that the audience will be talking
            about. It's good entertainment- the only downside is that he doesn't
            seem to have changed his setlist for an entire year, meaning that the
            second time you see him you know _exactly_ what to expect. He'll say
            "thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou" after certain songs, he'll explain
            that he always wanted to do a version of the James Bond theme, he'll end
            with "Thousand" and stand on top of his keyboard when he does.

            Some people've said that Moby's female bass player is quite attractive,
            I have no opinion about that but thought it might be worth mentioning.
            The rest of the Moby band pale into the background.

            The first time I saw Hybrid, Julee Cruise was singing, and she's not
            nearly as active a frontperson, but she was doing a few bizarre hippy
            arm movements and generally looking a bit like she was slightly mad in
            the head. Because the rest of the Hybrid are mostly fixed behind
            immobile instruments (keyboards, sequencers, decks) there's less to
            watch on stage. Hybrid are not a one-man-band, so nobody steals the
            limelight.

            Overall I guess this means that Moby is the better visual entertainment,
            providing you don't find some of his 'antics' a bit annoying (especially
            if you've seen him before). Maybe not the answer I'm supposed to give to
            the Hybrid list, but there you go. Hybrid are still a must-see.

            Stuart.

            --
            Stuart Bruce
            stuart@...
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 14, 2000
              Moby....*yawn*  After seeing him four times in my locale of Dallas, TX, I'm dying for a Hybrid performance!

              Vince H.
              > Can anyone who's seen both Moby and Hybrid tell me who puts on a
              > better  show?  (we all know who has the better music but in terms of a
              > "performance" who's better?)

              Seen both artists twice, & heard a couple of live recordings of each
              artist as well.

              Moby himself is the showman of the pack- of the two bands, he's the one
              who jumps around, talks to the audience, shouts a lot, etc.- by a long
              way. After thg gig, that's the person that the audience will be talking
              about. It's good entertainment- the only downside is that he doesn't
              seem to have changed his setlist for an entire year, meaning that the
              second time you see him you know _exactly_ what to expect. He'll say
              "thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou" after certain songs, he'll explain
              that he always wanted to do a version of the James Bond theme, he'll end
              with "Thousand" and stand on top of his keyboard when he does.

              Some people've said that Moby's female bass player is quite attractive,
              I have no opinion about that but thought it might be worth mentioning.
              The rest of the Moby band pale into the background.

              The first time I saw Hybrid, Julee Cruise was singing, and she's not
              nearly as active a frontperson, but she was doing a few bizarre hippy
              arm movements and generally looking a bit like she was slightly mad in
              the head. Because the rest of the Hybrid are mostly fixed behind
              immobile instruments (keyboards, sequencers, decks) there's less to
              watch on stage. Hybrid are not a one-man-band, so nobody steals the
              limelight.

              Overall I guess this means that Moby is the better visual entertainment,
              providing you don't find some of his 'antics' a bit annoying (especially
              if you've seen him before). Maybe not the answer I'm supposed to give to
              the Hybrid list, but there you go. Hybrid are still a must-see.

              Stuart.

              --
                                 Stuart Bruce
                  stuart@...
                   music@...
              http://www.atomiser.demon.co.uk

                                USEFUL LINKS

              Distinctive Records - Hybrid's record label - featuring video clips, sound and you can buy some Hybrid tunes here!
              http://www.distinctiverecords.com

              Hybrid Fan Site : Find out the latest news about Hybrid and related artists

              Breaksworld : Breakbeat news, reviews, tunes, DJ mixes, charts and loads more.
              http://www.breaksworld.com/