New Order (was: re: Mixmag 100 best tunes EVER)

  • neil mitchell-goodson
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 18, 2001
      "Blue Monday" was the original seminal 12" record, from about 1985 or
      thereabouts.

      The original 'Blue Monday' (FAC73 I believe) came out in march 1983 - I think it was reissued twice in the space of a year, as it's first couple of attempts didn't do much. As it was only issued on 12" it became the biggest selling 12" of all time (although I'm unsure if that record still stands). The jacket was a huge floppy disc cover (if you remember the covers for 5.25" floppy discs!), designed by Peter Saville Associates, who did most of New Orders artwork pre-1990.
      In 1988 it was remixed and came out as 'Blue Monday 1988' (FAC73R) - incredibly sample heavy, even more so on the US version which came out on Quincy Jones' 'Q west' label.

      The B-side on the original was called 'The Beach', basically a vocal-less version with a few changes. The 1988 remix had 'Beach Buggy' on the reverse, and was much the same affair but with all the samples and stupid 80's stuff.

      Sorry to be anal...New Order were my first musical love!

      Neil