RE: [Hybrid] Hybrid aiming at shoe-only, VIP punters?

  • Jason Fransella
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 5, 2001
      upon further review of my statement, and upon review of my dj'ing stints at
      night clubs, I now recall that it isn't about the music at all. it's all
      about bar sales!!! good ol' profit motive rears it's ugly head again.

      jason fransella

    • EvilAlivE@aol.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 5, 2001
        < You guys need to come to the US where you can get into any club wearing
        pretty much anything short of being naked.We don't discriminate between
        nicely clothed clubbers and the candy ravers. ALL ARE WELCOME. Sorry to hear
        you have to worry about this. CHEERS. > yeah right.. maybe raves... but the CLUBS to see people lik ehybrid play in, or any other decent act... full on dress codes

        what city do u live in? chicago, miami, NYC... all very strict on the dress codes.. no jeans, no sneakers, no tank tops, no t shirts...
      • EvilAlivE@aol.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 5, 2001
          < upon further review of my statement, and upon review of my dj'ing stints at
          night clubs, I now recall that it isn't about the music at all. it's all
          about bar sales!!! good ol' profit motive rears it's ugly head again. >

          umm for a bar owner? yeah of course... do u think people own bars because they like music? think about it for a second... in reality... its all about buisness... even for hybrid... hybrids buisness is music... the bars business revolves around music... certain eclectic buisnesses can cater to such eclectics acts as hybrid... but not many... but in all reality... if people werent there buying drinks, the club would have been out of buisness long ago... do you know how much it costs to get hybrid to come and perform? they dont even cover half the expenses in some cases with all the door money, meaning they are heavily relying on the bar...

          stop and think for a minute.. and it will all make sense...

          im not a bar owner, nor am i much of an ally to most of them... and im not taking their side...they are mostly very shady, and just feed off of fads.. and completly take advantage in most situations...

          i coul dgo on for hours... ill step off my soap box now... im sure you all get where im coming from

          cheers,

          jason dunne
        • EvilAlivE@aol.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 5, 2001
            < Hybrid aiming at shoe-only, VIP punters? >

            ok.. lets talk about this issue for just a moment...

            i dont think that hybrid choses proper shoe, over sneaker type events... i really dont... the expense of a hybrid show is so great... that thi samazing hype has to be generated by putting them in these high class type joints... where people dont mind spending 20 or 30 quid on a wednesday or whatever...

            sure there are people fo the sneaker/trainer class that would happily pay any amount to see hybrid... however.. the general sneaker/trainer class in all reality... could kind of care less... in all reality... most of the proper shoe class kind fo doesnt care either.. they are following the "in" crowds, "in" trends, and "in" drugs... to be "in"... its all bollocks if you ask me... its works out to be a very dissapointing situation... when i go and see hybrid... most of the people have no clue who they are, what they are actually doing, and just dont care. i feel lik ethey dont even deserve to be there... but if they werent... some of us would never get a chance to see hybrid, ever.

            just so everyone knows... im referring to situations that ihave experienced in south beach and chicago... how things go in the rest of the world... well i dont know... south beach and chicago are hip in some ways.. and super lame in others... as a performing artist i do know this... as sad as it is... i would prefer performing for a more elitest crowd of 400... why? no one is od'ing... no one is sitting in the middle of the floor with a big 8up.com label on them... there arent 100 other performers that evening, so chances are the people that are there might actually know who the hell you are when u do perform... you dont have to worry about the promoter dipping out in the middle of the night with all the money, leaving you high and dry... you dont have to worry about the police shutting the evening down due to permits... and like 10 million other instances i could list.

            if you sit back and think about it from another point of view... it really all does make sense... hybrid caters to a more sophisticated crowd due to... financial issues i guess.. its not their choice... its just that they are more expensive then your average act

            [[[ Ally says: Are they more expensive? ]]]
          • Daniel Craig
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 5, 2001
              No t-shirts, jeans, OR sneakers!?!?! Thank God I live in New Mexico
              then. The last time I was at a club here I was wearing a t-shirt, jean
              shorts (which is probably even worse then just jeans), and sneakers.
              LOL

              DC
            • Jason Fransella
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 6, 2001
                <snip>
                >just so everyone knows... im referring to situations that ihave experienced
                >in south beach and chicago... how things go in the rest of the world... well
                >i dont know... south beach and chicago are hip in some ways.. and super lame
                >in others...
                </snip>

                From the many places I've clubbed/partied, I think its the same case almost
                everywhere.

                <snip>
                >if you sit back and think about it from another point of view... it really
                >all does make sense... hybrid caters to a more sophisticated crowd due to...
                >financial issues i guess.. its not their choice... its just that they are
                >more expensive then your average act
                >
                > [[[ Ally says: Are they more expensive? ]]]
                </snip>

                I'm speculating here, but I have to believe a hybrid dj set is probably the
                same price as most other acts of a similar calliber/draw. There are
                generally accepted amounts for the artists doing the circuits. bigger acts
                bring in bigger crowds and generally draw more cash, but I think there is a
                lot of assumption going on as to hybrid charging large amounts to do their
                sets. as a live act, where you're carrying lots of gear all over the
                country, you charge a lot to cover your expenses, but as a dj, you basically
                have a couple of flight cases of records, and that's it.

                jason
              • Sean Callahan
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 6, 2001
                  In between Baltimore and Washington. Grew up going to Fever and Buzz.
                  Stopped going to parties a while ago and do the small house party thing.
                  Chillin at my home is safer these days anyway.True about the superclubs in
                  those cities you mentioned. It's a glamour (it's cool to be a clubber)
                  thing. I hate that pretentious sh*t. IT SHOULD ALWAYS BE ABOUT THE

                  Peace,
                  Sean