Lotus Challenge

  • Stuart Bruce
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 2, 2001
      Popped into Virgin Megastore this morning to have a look at the "Lotus
      Challenge" game- sure enough, the Hybrid logo etc. are all on the back.
      Since I don't have a PS2 there wasn't much point in me picking that up.
      They only had the game-only edition- but when I asked in Electronic
      Boutique, they had both the game-only edition, and also the edition with
      a bonus music disc (both priced at 39.99- go figure).

      However, the music disc doesn't contain any *new* music from Hybrid or
      Way Out West- exclusive tracks from some other artists (presumably
      licensed through Distinctive?) but not those. So I didn't bother getting
      it either.

      It's disappointing, I was hoping the bonus music disc would have tracks
      like "Joyrider" on it. Otherwise, are those tracks ever going to see the
      light of day as anything other than inside the PS2 game itself?

      Stuart.

      --
      Stuart Bruce
      stuart@...
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 4, 2001
        >It's disappointing, I was hoping the bonus music disc would have
        >tracks like "Joyrider" on it. Otherwise, are those tracks ever going
        >to see the light of day as anything other than inside the PS2 game
        >itself?

        Maybe there'll be a 'Wipe Out'-esque audio CD released later(?).
      • RICHARD LUND
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 25, 2003
          Unfortunately...

          Lotus Challenge will never come out in the US on the PS2...

          But...

          If you have an XBOX you can get it...

          Im not sure what the problems were with releasing this game in the US..

          But I guess there were...

          But on Ebay today I found the game for the XBOX

          unfortunately I only have a PS2 and this does nothing for me...

          So here's a link... I hope someone gets it..

          http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3037627498&category=27187

          Rick
        • ally@hybrid-group.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 26, 2003
            --- In HybridUK@yahoogroups.com, "RICHARD LUND" <_schwa_@m...> wrote:
            > Unfortunately...
            >
            > Lotus Challenge will never come out in the US on the PS2...

            I'm assuming that US PS2 is different to UK PS2 (e.g. can't play UK
            games)? ...sorry if that was a daft question.

            I have a spare copy of Lotus Challenge for the PS2 (UK) - if you'd
            like it (for free, I was given two copies) send me an email at ally@....

            Ally
          • RICHARD LUND
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 26, 2003
              Yeah ...

              Here's the gaming geek inside me ...

              The PS2 Games in the Uk are released in a PAL format... Somewhat like your DVD / VHS programs...

              I heard that this is because you can change the tint on your TV's .... Is this true??

              All PS2 Games in the US are NTSC also like our VHS & DVD's...

              Im sure there is some way to may you "station" multi-format but I have yet to try..

              Although having a multi-format DVD player comes in handy more than you'd think

              Rick

            • dcraig@nmt.edu
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 26, 2003
                I'm prettu sure I've seen Lotus Challenge for sale for the PS2, but in
                addition to the X-Box there's also a Gamecube version as well... for the
                two of us who actually own a Gamecube anyway.

                Dan
              • Drew Ressler
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 26, 2003
                  > I'm assuming that US PS2 is different to UK PS2 (e.g. can't play UK
                  > games)?

                  Yep

                  --Rukes
                • Neil Turner
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 27, 2003
                    Hi,

                    > I'm assuming that US PS2 is different to UK PS2 (e.g. can't play UK
                    > games)? ...sorry if that was a daft question.

                    The PS2 does contain region protection so it will not play games/dvds
                    outside the region in which it was bought... but the owner of a US PS2 can
                    have a mod chip installed to get around this, which is legal btw.

                    The main problem with playing European console games on a US console is that
                    you'll need a TV that can display PAL and my understanding is that this is
                    not a standard feature of US TVs. So, you'll either need a TV with this
                    feature or a PAL->NTSC converter.

                    > I have a spare copy of Lotus Challenge for the PS2 (UK) - if you'd
                    > like it (for free, I was given two copies) send me an email
                    > at ally@....

                    Great game but bear in mind it is not an arcade racer. It's more of a
                    simulation-type racer, much like a Formula 1 game with all the 'driver aids'
                    turn off ;)

                    - Neil
                  • EvilAlivE@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 28, 2003
                      neilturner@... writes:

                      > The PS2 does contain region protection so it will not play games/dvds
                      > outside the region in which it was bought... but the owner of a US PS2 can
                      > have a mod chip installed to get around this, which is legal btw.

                      u can also purchase a dvd region removal ps2 disc.. so u can enter it
                      first... as a pre-loader... then pop in your outside-the-region-that-you-are-in dvd..
                      and away u go

                      :)
                    • RICHARD LUND
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 28, 2003
                        Actually there a lot cheaper than youd think...

                        They run about the same price as regular DVD players now adays...

                        but try asking some sales clerk at Circuit City where to get one...

                        They asked me "Why do you need that??"

                        Rick

                        > , but it's probably cheaper than buying a
                        > region-free standalone.
                        >
                        > Matt A.
                      • Matt A
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 28, 2003
                          Actually, tint has nothing to do with it.

                          PAL runs at 50 Hz, whereas NTSC runs at 60 Hz so, even if you had a UK PS2
                          system in the US and you were trying to run it on a standard US television,
                          you would either get constant vertical rolling or the top 1/3 of the screen
                          would be pushed down, obscuring whatever is at the bottom of the image.

                          Still, video frequencies aren't a HUGE problem since a lot of region-free
                          devices have converters built right in. For instance, US gamers can buy a
                          $40 Action Replay for their PS2 and they now have a region-free DVD player.
                          Granted, the PS2 DVD player isn't exactly the best in the world (it's
                          downright crappy, to be honest), but it's probably cheaper than buying a
                          region-free standalone.

                          Regardless, no one should ever be forced to play Lotus Challenge. It's a
                          mediocre game, at best.

                          Matt A.

                          >Yeah ...
                          >
                          >Here's the gaming geek inside me ...
                          >
                          >The PS2 Games in the Uk are released in a PAL format... Somewhat like your
                          >DVD / VHS programs...
                          >
                          >I heard that this is because you can change the tint on your TV's .... Is
                          >this true??
                          >
                          >All PS2 Games in the US are NTSC also like our VHS & DVD's...
                          >
                          >Im sure there is some way to may you "station" multi-format but I have yet
                          >to try..
                          >
                          >Although having a multi-format DVD player comes in handy more than you'd think
                          >
                          >Rick
                        • avigreen2000
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 24, 2004
                            Hey, on the lotus challenge webiste there used to be this tight ass
                            Hybrid - Joyrider remixer type thing. The site is now down and was
                            wondering if anyone knows any other sites that have that. It was
                            tight as hell!