Re: [Hybrid] Hybrid aiming at shoe-only, VIP punters?

  • Stuart Bruce
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 2001
      On Fri 02 Nov, Gavin wrote:

      > Are Hybrid trying to alienate their loyal fanbase, or simply
      > associating with the wrong clubs?

      Hybrid are probably trying to alienate their loyal fanbase. They
      probably get a kick out of playing to people that haven't appreciated
      them before, rather than people that have.

      > On Thursday November 1, Hybrid played a very unannounced set at
      > Bedrock's monthly night at Heavan in London. They played 11pm - 1am.
      > However they played in a VIP-only area, restricting at least 70% of
      > the crowd from appreciating their music.

      Well, some artists play in VIP areas because they get booked to play in
      VIP areas only- and they get paid accordingly. Most artists usually know
      in advance that they'll be playing in the VIP area- and because it's the
      VIP rather than public area, many DJs don't see any point in wasting
      time or attention in advertising something to people who can't be there
      anyway.

      However, in Hybrid's case, I bet it was a cock-up. I bet they tried to
      post a message to this list saying "eat dirt you loyal fans, we're going
      to play a great set only to the people we want to because the rest of
      you are all trainer-wearing scum". However that message from Mike must
      have got delayed in the approval process.

      I had a similar problem the other week when I turned up to a club
      wearing only a pair of white socks. They normally let people wear white
      socks, but just on this special night because Keith Chegwin was DJing
      they'd decided that they weren't going to let anybody in wearing sports
      socks, so I had to go into the club completely naked. I got really cold
      feet and several people trod on my toes. I was a bit irked, so I kept
      hitting Keith Chegwin in the head until he spilt his drink.

      Here's to the idea that all clubs should publish a clothing catalogue
      detailing the ranges of fashion that will be allowed through the door!

      Stuart.

      --
      Stuart Bruce
      stuart@...
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 2, 2001
        I was also at Bedrock last night and couldn't believe my luck when I
        saw Hybrid were playing in one of the rooms. When I tried to go in,
        some gimp on the door who had trouble putting a sentence together
        said it was VIP only. I was not happy... neither were many other
        Hybrid fans who were hanging around trying to get into the room, all
        looking very disappointed indeed :0( Anyway, I thought sod that and
        went off and lost it for two hours with my mates in the proper breaks
        room! No VIP nonsense with the Plumps... just wicked Plumptastic
        breaks! They rocked it!

        If Ally's right and Hybrid don't have any say in where they play
        (which I can't believe is true, I would think the boys are very
        selective of where they play) then what the hell is their agent
        doing? When your artist is soon to be launching a new album you DON'T
        piss off their loyal fans by booking a VIP gig that the fans are
        refused entry to!!!

        Errr... Ally... what clubs do you go to? Your local Ritzy? I only
        ever wear trainers when I go clubbing. Fabric, Heaven, The End,
        Turnmills have no problems with trainers.

        Peace
        Col
      • Jose
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 2, 2001
          >However, in Hybrid's case, I bet it was a cock-up. I bet they tried to
          >post a message to this list saying "eat dirt you loyal fans, we're going
          >to play a great set only to the people we want to because the rest of
          >you are all trainer-wearing scum". However that message from Mike must
          >have got delayed in the approval process.
          >
          >I had a similar problem the other week when I turned up to a club
          >wearing only a pair of white socks. They normally let people wear white
          >socks, but just on this special night because Keith Chegwin was DJing
          >they'd decided that they weren't going to let anybody in wearing sports
          >socks, so I had to go into the club completely naked. I got really cold
          >feet and several people trod on my toes. I was a bit irked, so I kept
          >hitting Keith Chegwin in the head until he spilt his drink.
          >
          >Here's to the idea that all clubs should publish a clothing catalogue
          >detailing the ranges of fashion that will be allowed through the door!

          LMFAO !! That is probably the funniest damn thing I've heard on this list
          since I joined this list. Good one Stu ! :P

          L8trz ,
          Jose
          (still laughing)
        • Alan Duval
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 4, 2001
            >Hybrid are probably trying to alienate their loyal fanbase. They
            >probably get a kick out of playing to people that haven't appreciated
            >them before, rather than people that have.

            <snip>

            As José said, Stuart, funny as hell (ROFLMAO:D)! Nice to see the art
            of sarcasm is a live and well and, shock horror, living in the UK.

            I have to ask, though, where they bobby-socks?