Re: [Hybrid] Hybrid aiming at shoe-only, VIP punters?

  • ally@hybrid-group.co.uk
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 2, 2001
      Well, then Gavin's def. got a right to complain to Renaissance about it not
      being published.

      I just think it's unfair to blame it on Hybrid...they really do have nothing
      to do with this issue.

      Ally

      > generally clubs in london allow trainers, it's actually the minority that
      > don't.
      > The Cross always has done, it's Renaissance that decided it wasn't glam
      > enough for them.
      >

      > >To be honest, I was very suprised to hear that you attempted to wear
      > >trainers to a club. I haven't been to many clubs in London...so forgive
      me
      > >if I'm way-out...but most of the clubs in the UK seem to have an
      unwritten
      > >rule that you don't wear trainers (sports trainers anyway).
      > >
      > >I agree that you should be able to wear what you feel comnfortable
      > in...but please don't take your anger out on Hybrid, they really aren't to
      > blame for
      > >this...take it out on the clubs in question.
    • Jose
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 2, 2001
        >Mike and Chris do not pick venues purely because they don't let you wear
        >trainers! They are booked through their booking agencies and play where
        >they
        >are booked.
        >
        >To be honest, I was very suprised to hear that you attempted to wear
        >trainers to a club. I haven't been to many clubs in London...so forgive
        >me
        >if I'm way-out...but most of the clubs in the UK seem to have an unwritten
        >rule that you don't wear trainers (sports trainers anyway).
        >
        >I agree that you should be able to wear what you feel comnfortable in...but
        >please don't take your anger out on Hybrid, they really aren't to blame
        >for
        >this...take it out on the clubs in question.
        >
        >I'm disapointed that you were "a once loyal fan" before accusing Hybrid
        >and not checking out the facts fully.

        I fully agree ... by the way ... what in the hell are trainers ?
        Please enlighten us peeps in the USA.

        [[[ Ally says: Sneakers? ]]]

        L8trz ,
        Jose
      • Paul Everatt
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 2, 2001
          Hello all
          I've been a member for sometime but I
          haven't seen anyone mention the Truman & Wolff mix of
          the above from about '98. This tune is 'Hybrid' in
          everything but name...What do ya reckon.

          Cheerio

          Paul
        • Jason Fransella
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 2, 2001
            ahh, I thought trainers were like warm up pants or something... not cotton
            sweats, but like the synthetic materials style. so all those break dancers
            have to wear dress shoes to dance? that's just silly. Isn't it all about
            the music and having fun in the first place?

            jason

            >I fully agree ... by the way ... what in the hell are trainers ?
            >Please enlighten us peeps in the USA.
            >
            > [[[ Ally says: Sneakers? ]]]
          • neil mitchell-goodson
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 2, 2001
              Trainers? Sneakers? I only ever wear wellington boots when I go
              clubbing...some people say those baby seals don't deserve to die though.

              neil.
            • Alan Duval
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 4, 2001
                --- In HybridUK@y..., "Jason Fransella" <jfransella@m...> wrote:
                "Isn't it all about the music and having fun in the first place?"

                Yes, but the limited psycho-social knowledge of some club owners
                leads them to believe that people who don't wear dress shoes don't
                behave proper, guv.
              • Sean Callahan
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 5, 2001
                  You guys need to come to the US where you can get into any club wearing
                  pretty much anything short of being naked.We don't discriminate between
                  nicely clothed clubbers and the candy ravers. ALL ARE WELCOME. Sorry to hear
                  you have to worry about this. CHEERS.

                  > "Isn't it all about the music and having fun in the first place?"
                  >
                  > Yes, but the limited psycho-social knowledge of some club owners
                  > leads them to believe that people who don't wear dress shoes don't
                  > behave proper, guv.
                • Jason Fransella
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 5, 2001
                    upon further review of my statement, and upon review of my dj'ing stints at
                    night clubs, I now recall that it isn't about the music at all. it's all
                    about bar sales!!! good ol' profit motive rears it's ugly head again.

                    jason fransella

                  • EvilAlivE@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 5, 2001
                      < You guys need to come to the US where you can get into any club wearing
                      pretty much anything short of being naked.We don't discriminate between
                      nicely clothed clubbers and the candy ravers. ALL ARE WELCOME. Sorry to hear
                      you have to worry about this. CHEERS. > yeah right.. maybe raves... but the CLUBS to see people lik ehybrid play in, or any other decent act... full on dress codes

                      what city do u live in? chicago, miami, NYC... all very strict on the dress codes.. no jeans, no sneakers, no tank tops, no t shirts...
                    • EvilAlivE@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 5, 2001
                        < upon further review of my statement, and upon review of my dj'ing stints at
                        night clubs, I now recall that it isn't about the music at all. it's all
                        about bar sales!!! good ol' profit motive rears it's ugly head again. >

                        umm for a bar owner? yeah of course... do u think people own bars because they like music? think about it for a second... in reality... its all about buisness... even for hybrid... hybrids buisness is music... the bars business revolves around music... certain eclectic buisnesses can cater to such eclectics acts as hybrid... but not many... but in all reality... if people werent there buying drinks, the club would have been out of buisness long ago... do you know how much it costs to get hybrid to come and perform? they dont even cover half the expenses in some cases with all the door money, meaning they are heavily relying on the bar...

                        stop and think for a minute.. and it will all make sense...

                        im not a bar owner, nor am i much of an ally to most of them... and im not taking their side...they are mostly very shady, and just feed off of fads.. and completly take advantage in most situations...

                        i coul dgo on for hours... ill step off my soap box now... im sure you all get where im coming from

                        cheers,

                        jason dunne
                      • EvilAlivE@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 5, 2001
                          < Hybrid aiming at shoe-only, VIP punters? >

                          ok.. lets talk about this issue for just a moment...

                          i dont think that hybrid choses proper shoe, over sneaker type events... i really dont... the expense of a hybrid show is so great... that thi samazing hype has to be generated by putting them in these high class type joints... where people dont mind spending 20 or 30 quid on a wednesday or whatever...

                          sure there are people fo the sneaker/trainer class that would happily pay any amount to see hybrid... however.. the general sneaker/trainer class in all reality... could kind of care less... in all reality... most of the proper shoe class kind fo doesnt care either.. they are following the "in" crowds, "in" trends, and "in" drugs... to be "in"... its all bollocks if you ask me... its works out to be a very dissapointing situation... when i go and see hybrid... most of the people have no clue who they are, what they are actually doing, and just dont care. i feel lik ethey dont even deserve to be there... but if they werent... some of us would never get a chance to see hybrid, ever.

                          just so everyone knows... im referring to situations that ihave experienced in south beach and chicago... how things go in the rest of the world... well i dont know... south beach and chicago are hip in some ways.. and super lame in others... as a performing artist i do know this... as sad as it is... i would prefer performing for a more elitest crowd of 400... why? no one is od'ing... no one is sitting in the middle of the floor with a big 8up.com label on them... there arent 100 other performers that evening, so chances are the people that are there might actually know who the hell you are when u do perform... you dont have to worry about the promoter dipping out in the middle of the night with all the money, leaving you high and dry... you dont have to worry about the police shutting the evening down due to permits... and like 10 million other instances i could list.

                          if you sit back and think about it from another point of view... it really all does make sense... hybrid caters to a more sophisticated crowd due to... financial issues i guess.. its not their choice... its just that they are more expensive then your average act

                          [[[ Ally says: Are they more expensive? ]]]
                        • Daniel Craig
                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 5, 2001
                            No t-shirts, jeans, OR sneakers!?!?! Thank God I live in New Mexico
                            then. The last time I was at a club here I was wearing a t-shirt, jean
                            shorts (which is probably even worse then just jeans), and sneakers.
                            LOL

                            DC
                          • Jason Fransella
                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 6, 2001
                              <snip>
                              >just so everyone knows... im referring to situations that ihave experienced
                              >in south beach and chicago... how things go in the rest of the world... well
                              >i dont know... south beach and chicago are hip in some ways.. and super lame
                              >in others...
                              </snip>

                              From the many places I've clubbed/partied, I think its the same case almost
                              everywhere.

                              <snip>
                              >if you sit back and think about it from another point of view... it really
                              >all does make sense... hybrid caters to a more sophisticated crowd due to...
                              >financial issues i guess.. its not their choice... its just that they are
                              >more expensive then your average act
                              >
                              > [[[ Ally says: Are they more expensive? ]]]
                              </snip>

                              I'm speculating here, but I have to believe a hybrid dj set is probably the
                              same price as most other acts of a similar calliber/draw. There are
                              generally accepted amounts for the artists doing the circuits. bigger acts
                              bring in bigger crowds and generally draw more cash, but I think there is a
                              lot of assumption going on as to hybrid charging large amounts to do their
                              sets. as a live act, where you're carrying lots of gear all over the
                              country, you charge a lot to cover your expenses, but as a dj, you basically
                              have a couple of flight cases of records, and that's it.

                              jason
                            • Sean Callahan
                              Message 14 of 16 , Nov 6, 2001
                                In between Baltimore and Washington. Grew up going to Fever and Buzz.
                                Stopped going to parties a while ago and do the small house party thing.
                                Chillin at my home is safer these days anyway.True about the superclubs in
                                those cities you mentioned. It's a glamour (it's cool to be a clubber)
                                thing. I hate that pretentious sh*t. IT SHOULD ALWAYS BE ABOUT THE

                                Peace,
                                Sean