Hybrid aiming at shoe-only, VIP punters?

  • Gavin
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2001
      Are Hybrid trying to alienate their loyal fanbase, or simply
      associating with the wrong clubs?

      On Saturday Oct 27, Hybrid played Renaissance in London, Unpublished,
      the club did not allow people in wearing trainers.

      On Thursday November 1, Hybrid played a very unannounced set at
      Bedrock's monthly night at Heavan in London. They played 11pm - 1am.
      However they played in a VIP-only area, restricting at least 70% of the
      crowd from appreciating their music.

      Chris, Mike, and Lee, if you want to alientiate your core fanbase,
      you're doing a damn fine job. I recommend that you start researching
      where you play a bit better, unless you indeed are aiming at a VIP,
      shoes-only crowd.

      Of course I could just have had extremely bad luck in the last week,
      but I know I'm not alone in my disappointment.

      In disgust,
      Gavin Stok
      (a once loyal fan and website owner)

      http://hybridmusic.org.uk/
    • Stuart Bruce
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 2, 2001
        On Fri 02 Nov, Gavin wrote:

        > Are Hybrid trying to alienate their loyal fanbase, or simply
        > associating with the wrong clubs?

        Hybrid are probably trying to alienate their loyal fanbase. They
        probably get a kick out of playing to people that haven't appreciated
        them before, rather than people that have.

        > On Thursday November 1, Hybrid played a very unannounced set at
        > Bedrock's monthly night at Heavan in London. They played 11pm - 1am.
        > However they played in a VIP-only area, restricting at least 70% of
        > the crowd from appreciating their music.

        Well, some artists play in VIP areas because they get booked to play in
        VIP areas only- and they get paid accordingly. Most artists usually know
        in advance that they'll be playing in the VIP area- and because it's the
        VIP rather than public area, many DJs don't see any point in wasting
        time or attention in advertising something to people who can't be there
        anyway.

        However, in Hybrid's case, I bet it was a cock-up. I bet they tried to
        post a message to this list saying "eat dirt you loyal fans, we're going
        to play a great set only to the people we want to because the rest of
        you are all trainer-wearing scum". However that message from Mike must
        have got delayed in the approval process.

        I had a similar problem the other week when I turned up to a club
        wearing only a pair of white socks. They normally let people wear white
        socks, but just on this special night because Keith Chegwin was DJing
        they'd decided that they weren't going to let anybody in wearing sports
        socks, so I had to go into the club completely naked. I got really cold
        feet and several people trod on my toes. I was a bit irked, so I kept
        hitting Keith Chegwin in the head until he spilt his drink.

        Here's to the idea that all clubs should publish a clothing catalogue
        detailing the ranges of fashion that will be allowed through the door!

        Stuart.

        --
        Stuart Bruce
        stuart@...
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 2, 2001
          I was also at Bedrock last night and couldn't believe my luck when I
          saw Hybrid were playing in one of the rooms. When I tried to go in,
          some gimp on the door who had trouble putting a sentence together
          said it was VIP only. I was not happy... neither were many other
          Hybrid fans who were hanging around trying to get into the room, all
          looking very disappointed indeed :0( Anyway, I thought sod that and
          went off and lost it for two hours with my mates in the proper breaks
          room! No VIP nonsense with the Plumps... just wicked Plumptastic
          breaks! They rocked it!

          If Ally's right and Hybrid don't have any say in where they play
          (which I can't believe is true, I would think the boys are very
          selective of where they play) then what the hell is their agent
          doing? When your artist is soon to be launching a new album you DON'T
          piss off their loyal fans by booking a VIP gig that the fans are
          refused entry to!!!

          Errr... Ally... what clubs do you go to? Your local Ritzy? I only
          ever wear trainers when I go clubbing. Fabric, Heaven, The End,
          Turnmills have no problems with trainers.

          Peace
          Col
        • Jose
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 2, 2001
            >However, in Hybrid's case, I bet it was a cock-up. I bet they tried to
            >post a message to this list saying "eat dirt you loyal fans, we're going
            >to play a great set only to the people we want to because the rest of
            >you are all trainer-wearing scum". However that message from Mike must
            >have got delayed in the approval process.
            >
            >I had a similar problem the other week when I turned up to a club
            >wearing only a pair of white socks. They normally let people wear white
            >socks, but just on this special night because Keith Chegwin was DJing
            >they'd decided that they weren't going to let anybody in wearing sports
            >socks, so I had to go into the club completely naked. I got really cold
            >feet and several people trod on my toes. I was a bit irked, so I kept
            >hitting Keith Chegwin in the head until he spilt his drink.
            >
            >Here's to the idea that all clubs should publish a clothing catalogue
            >detailing the ranges of fashion that will be allowed through the door!

            LMFAO !! That is probably the funniest damn thing I've heard on this list
            since I joined this list. Good one Stu ! :P

            L8trz ,
            Jose
            (still laughing)
          • Alan Duval
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 4, 2001
              >Hybrid are probably trying to alienate their loyal fanbase. They
              >probably get a kick out of playing to people that haven't appreciated
              >them before, rather than people that have.

              <snip>

              As José said, Stuart, funny as hell (ROFLMAO:D)! Nice to see the art
              of sarcasm is a live and well and, shock horror, living in the UK.

              I have to ask, though, where they bobby-socks?