Re: [Hybrid] (music/math)

  • Nick Bower
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 30 1:54 AM
      I agree with Thomas, although this has been an interesting side issue
      (well....completely off the Hybrid theme really!), I think that it's time to
      put it to bed before people start thinking this is a maths newsgroup!!!!

      music/math RIP!

      Let's get back to more of the music side of things before I fall asleep in
      maths class ;)

      Cheers

      Nick

      >Although it's been quite funny, I think it's time to end this discussion.
      >I'm sorry if it's all based on a misunderstanding from my side. What I
      >understood from the post ( I'm a dane, might have been a translation
      error )
      >was that the person was finding formulas and Pi and other things, that I
      >would have never thought of, regarding music. And then comes the most
      >familiar comment: Math has nothing to do with it ( It being wether I like
      >the music or not ) And the joking part, was in there, since I can't believe
      >anyone can find Pi and formulas and that sort, in music. Maybe that part
      >should have been expressed in a different way, but done is done, and
      >impossible to change... Yet.
    • Alan Duval
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 1, 2001
        --- In HybridUK@y..., Stuart Bruce <hybrid-wow@a...> wrote:
        "But wasn't your original point that "there is no math in music"?"

        Now for some rhyme in your reasoning:D
      • Alan Duval
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 1, 2001
          --- In HybridUK@y..., Stuart Bruce <hybrid-wow@a...> wrote:
          'accompanied by the percussive sound of thousands of tills going "ker-
          ching!"'

          Pink Floyd?
        • Alan Duval
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 1, 2001
            --- In HybridUK@y..., "Nick Bower" <nick.bower@c...> wrote:
            >"I have to agree. I think everyone looks at music in different ways.
            >Music is a wonderful thing and each individual will have a different
            >response to it - sometimes to extremes. There are those that have no
            >opinion about music, think nothing much about it as they hear it,
            >there are many more that feel moved by music and are very passionate -
            >dance to it, sing to it, want to share it with the world etc. (like
            >us I guess). Some people (particularly those making music) know the
            >structure of tunes and how they're pieced together - as it's their
            >job! Maths is a big part of this, but there's only a small percentage
            >that actually look at it this deep......but you can't deny that it
            >has nothing to do with it"

            If you wanted to get right down to the nitty-gritty I'm sure you
            could find that an individual's synaptic responses and chemical
            impulses are mathematically correlated to how they perceive and enjoy
            music, too.

            But that might be taking it too far:D
          • Alan Duval
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 1, 2001
              --- In HybridUK@y..., Arfie Mansfield <arfie@u...> wrote:
              "Oh indeed :) But there's still a great deal of feeling in it -I
              feel sick whenever I hear anything by the Spice Girls. B-doom-tchish."

              That would be the trouble-making you were referring to? You're a
              very bad person, Arfie:D