Re: Need an introduction to Hybrid

  • ally@xxxxx.xx.xx
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 20, 1999
      Hi Stuart!

      What's this gig on the 17th then?? Have you got all the details...could you send them to the list? I only live in York and would love to go :-)

      Hybrid...they're from Swansea...and are amazing to see live.

      I went to Creamfields last month and saw them.

      Their new album called 'Wide Angle' came out very recently and is def. worth getting.

      Probably their most famour tune is 'Finished Symphony' which is one of my favourites tunes of all time. You can find it on a lot of compilations around at the moment.

      Hybrid have been going for quite a while...and are only just being recognised for their talent.

      They seem to have a very enthusiastic label behind them - Distinctive Records.
      If you go to http://www.distinctiverecords.com - you can find biographies, samples of tracks, images, a forum (all for Hybrid) and you can even buy some of their stuff online.

      Hybrid are also well-known for doing some very good mixes of tunes - e.g. Alanis Morissette, Montano Trumpetman, Carl Cox etc. etc.

      I am trying as hard as I can to get them on vinyl, with no success as yet :-(

      Anyway....if you need to know more, give us a shout...

      Let me know the details of that gig will ya!

      Cheers,

      Ally

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 20, 1999
        On Mon 20 Sep, ally@... wrote:
        > Hi Stuart!
        >
        > What's this gig on the 17th then?? Have you got all the
        > details...could you send them to the list? I only live in York and
        > would love to go :-)

        OK, that's too twisted a coincidence. I'm in York myself. Heworth area,
        where're you?!

        > Hybrid...they're from Swansea...and are amazing to see live.
        >
        > I went to Creamfields last month and saw them.
        >
        > Their new album called 'Wide Angle' came out very recently and is def.
        > worth getting.

        I remember noting it 'cos I saw the "limited" 6 x 12" version as well,
        which I thought was a novel idea although probably "for fans only"

        Ta for the info, I look forward to checking it out.

        In the meantime, here's my slightly-drunk attempt at typing out the
        advert in this week's Melody Maker:

        MUSIK awards Tour '99

        FAITHLESS
        Groove Armada
        Hybrid DJ Paul Van Dyk

        Mon 11 Oct Birmingham Sanctuary
        Tue 12 Oct London Astoria
        Wed 13 Oct Norwich UEA
        Fri 15 Oct Cardiff University
        Sat 16 Oct Sheffield Octagon*
        Sun 17 Oct Newcastle University

        *- Paul Van Dyk does not appear at Sheffield

        Credit card hotline: 0115 912 9115

        That's all I know, except that I've already got my tickets, I ordered
        them on that hotline and they arrived about two weeks later. All tickets
        13 quid (plus booking fee) except London 15 quid. That's about all I
        know, although feel free to ask if you've any other questions... Musik
        magazine have been advertising that for a few months now, but Melody
        Maker etc. have just started carrying it. I'm looking forward to it,
        since I already know that Faithless and Groove Armada have done some
        amazing material, and Hybrid and Paul Van Dyk sound promising as well...

        Speak to you later,

        Stuart.

        --
        Stuart Bruce
        stuart@...
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 21, 1999
          >OK, that's too twisted a coincidence. I'm in York >myself. Heworth area,
          >where're you?!

          hehe - I was doing my driving test there yesterday!
          I live in Upper Poppleton (near Acomb).

          >I remember noting it 'cos I saw the �limited� 6 x 12� version as well,
          >which I thought was a novel idea although probably �for fans only�

          Really? Where did you see it?

          The Misik Tour looks very good - I'll get my tickets booked!

          Btw, Sky TV seem to be using Hybrid's music a bit recently - I saw an ad for 'Gattica' last night and they had 'Finished Symphony' playing over the top.

          It's good that they're getting some recognition at last!

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 21, 1999
            On Tue 21 Sep, ally@... wrote:
            > > OK, that's too twisted a coincidence. I'm in York >myself. Heworth
            > > area, where're you?!
            >
            > hehe - I was doing my driving test there yesterday! I live in Upper
            > Poppleton (near Acomb).

            Small world, really. Maybe we should meet up sometime, argue about music
            tastes...?

            It would be good going considering I set up the Utah Saints mailing list
            nine months ago now, and so far no-one on it has met anyone else- mind
            you a large number of them are in America, but there you go.

            > > I remember noting it 'cos I saw the �limited� 6 x 12� version as
            > > well, which I thought was a novel idea although probably �for fans
            > > only�
            >
            > Really? Where did you see it?

            The HMV in the centre of York. Near the back, at the front of the
            "dance" section, on the display rack next to a variety of other 12"
            singles etc. The Hybrid one originally caught my eye because of the
            price (15.99-ish) which stood out from the 3.99-etc. that's being asked
            from the other records on the rack.

            > The Misik Tour looks very good - I'll get my tickets booked!
            >
            > Btw, Sky TV seem to be using Hybrid's music a bit recently - I saw an
            > ad for 'Gattica' last night and they had 'Finished Symphony' playing
            > over the top.

            I only get Sky One, but I'll look out for that one.

            > It's good that they're getting some recognition at last!

            On that note, is there anybody else on this list? I've been lurking for
            a short time without saying anything, has anyone else been doing the
            same?

            Stuart.

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 21, 1999
              I've now got that Ltd edition record.

              It's actually the album and on 3 x 12".

              >On that note, is there anybody else on this list? I've been lurking for
              >a short time without saying anything, has anyone else been doing the
              >same?

              Yeah - I only started this list a while back - no-one so far has ventured to say anything...even when I've asked a question :-)