Believe it or not... Alanis has done something useful...

  • Alan Duval
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2001
      Alanis Morissette delivered more than an artists perspective, she
      challenged all artists to educate and join together to have a say in
      the decision making process of digital music distribution.

      "I encourage all artists to educate themselves as a means to
      demonstrate to all interested parties our readiness to be part of
      this process," said Morissette.

      Morissette gave an Artist's Perspective speech at the Sixth Annual
      Plug In ConferenceĀ–a digital music conference presented by Jupiter
      Media Metrix and Billboard Magazine, in New York City July 23-24.

      Her speech was a 20-minute pep talk to all unsigned artists that the
      Internet can be used to connect with music fans, and that signed
      talent should rally behind this theory, stating the major-label
      system is "not working."

      "In today's climate, if an artist doesn't sell a certain number of
      copies on his first release, they will be lucky to be supported at
      all by the record companies which are so focused on the bottom-line
      numbers," said Morissette. "Many of the most popular artists of the
      last 30 years would have been dropped by the record company in
      today's climate. Artists today are not being given a chance to
      experience the normal ebbs and flows that result in an artist's
      evolution."

      Morissette at one time believed that on-line services like Napster
      and MP3.com could have been used to connect artists to more fans and
      ultimately could have helped their distribution.

      "These companies have been litigated, vilified, and ultimately
      consolidated to the point where these opportunities do not exist,"
      said Morissette. "Commercial, uncommercial, even offensive art needs
      a level playing field."

      With Napster now in a relationship with the Bertlesmann e-Commerce
      Group, and Vivendi Universal acquiring MP3.com and Emusic, Morissette
      called the Internet a "a bottleneck for creativity." Stating labels
      are applying the old-school ways of profit making to a newer wave of
      the music medium, and that Congress should step in.

      "I believe we have reached a point where legislative solutions have
      become necessary to acknowledge and protect our interests as
      artists," said Morissette. "To create laws that would support and
      foster new forms of distribution, subscription services, and make
      music accessible to the greatest number of people."

      On-line subscription services will soon be available through
      Musicnet.com, offering the first digital music subscription platform
      featuring on-demand downloads and streams from three of the five
      major recording labels. Musicnet.com will license its technology
      platform to companies who want to sell digital music subscription
      services under their own brands. AOL Music announced two new features
      of its paid subscription coming this fall; the Artist Discovery
      Network will introduce fans to new music via on-line listening
      stations, separated by music genre, and Radio (At) AOL, will be a
      streaming radio network with news and entertainment over 50 channels.

      Copied from DJMIXED.com