RE: [Hybrid] Seeking Clarity - Jody - Way Out There ...

  • Simon Jones
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 5, 2001
      It is indeed Jody from WOW.. its a very good album..

      Heres a review i knocked up for a prog music site.

      Jody Wisternoff, the younger half of the acclaimed Bristol based duo, Way
      Out West delivers a stunning mix which shows off his eccletic side.

      G-Pal's Life is chosen as the opening track, and what a way to begin, a
      lush, piano based track, just perfect to entice the listener in, telling
      them to take a seat before proceedings get underway.

      From here we progress along until the familar sound of Banco de Gaia's
      Obsidian kicks in, building the energy higher and higher, before dropping
      down into Chiller Twist's Drivers Of The Deep, letting the drums and dark
      bassline of Birdy's Oseau Blue move into the sinister Quivver mix of Crazy
      People.

      The percussion of Highjackers drawns you in closer, before the almighty
      sound of Way Out West's Mindcircus, twisted and adjusted with the dancefloor
      in mind comes thundering through the speakers, picking up the pace which
      does not relent, continuing and taking in such awesome and diverse tracks as
      Loafer's Travelogue and Meat Beat Manifesto's eccletic masterpiece, Radio
      Babylon.

      James Holden rears his head with the anime porn insprired First Light by
      Ogenki Clinic, before the lush vocals of 2 Sinners' Stillsuit end this
      inspried progressive journey. which proves that whilst Nick Warren is the
      more talked about member of Way Out West, Jody is more than capable of
      holding his own amogst the vast amount of progressive DJs out there today.

      Rating: 9/10.

      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 5, 2001
        Indeed it does...just released nearly 2 weeks ago and featuring 15
        tracks in 72 minutes, this is a very refreshing progressive mix, and
        my candidate for mix album of the year. Featuring styles as diverse
        as melodic tech-house, tech breaks, progressive house and straight up
        trance, there's never a boring moment.

        And it's worth it for the unreleased Club Mix of Mindcircus alone.

        VH.

        PS. come join the WOW list at
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wayoutwest as this has been mentioned
        there several times before.

        > Here are the tracks ...

        <snip>

        > Does this ring a bell to anyone ?
      • Gavin
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 27, 2003
          So NuBreed are on the list huh? How do you know really, hmmm? :)

          I've yet to see any comments from them about their opinions of live
          sets on the net, so if I get a chance to ask them some questions will
          add it.

          By the way my NuBreed site is now BIGGER. yay! The discog has been
          split, as per how the Hybrid one used to be (R.I.P.). If there really
          are NuBreed memebers on here, tell me what you think! ;) OK, and the
          rest of you too!

          Enjoy!

          Cheers,
          Gavin Stok

          NuBreed: http://nubreed.gavinstok.com/
        • Andy Grundman
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 27, 2003
            Great work Gavin, your discogs rule. I don't think Nubreed are on the
            list...he meant Burufunk I think. Curtis also contacted me about not
            distributing that set, even though I don't have it. :( He assured me
            once some of the tracks on it get a proper release that he will allow it
            to be shared.

            Here's a question that's been bugging me for a while. What is the
            proper name for the group?? Is it Nubreed, nubreed, Nu Breed, NuBreed?
            Or have they not made up their minds yet? I notice you overcome this
            problem by using all lowercase on your site. :)

            -Andy

            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 13, 2003
              OK to address some NuBreed messages:

              1. Jase, they play Brisbane fairly regularly so maybe worth the trek
              down. Maybe they'll do a longer tour (including tropical north
              Queensland!) to support the album.

              2. "Tokyo" is done with Luke Chable. They dedicated it to him when they
              played live at Revolver (Melbourne) too! It's a killer track so sorry
              to not see it on the album. Last I heard it's still planned for release
              in some form or other... one day! (pun intended)

              3. As to Hybrid rumour I don't think it's anything more than "we like
              each other and would like to work together". I'm still organising an
              interview with NuBreed so will ask what it's all about. Any other
              questions for the lads?

              4. Midi Killer is a strange ommission, but looks like they have 2 CDs
              worth of material. Maybe their 2nd album will follow shortly after. :)

              As to Oz version being different, news to me! Simon, what's the rumour
              there?

              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 14, 2003
                Oz version is different. 'The Original' will not be exported to Oz,
                and the Oz version features a track called 'Oblivion' as played by
                Phil K on Groovetech yesterday.