OT: Re: Intensify

  • PimpN Jungle B*tch
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 3, 2001
      >last week I finally found the promo of the new Way Out West album in >our
      >PO box.

      Uhmm.... maybe I haven't been paying attention and this has been mentioned
      before but.. I've had Intensify (in mp3 form) for a loooong time... Why is
      Distint'ive just now releasing it? (Like I said I think this was
      mentioned..sorry!)

      Kc
    • stuart.bruce@aardman.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 4, 2001
        >>last week I finally found the promo of the new Way Out West album in
        >>our
        >>PO box.
        >
        >Uhmm.... maybe I haven't been paying attention and this has been
        >mentioned before but..

        This has been mentioned at least a couple of times before but hopefully
        people will find it in their hearts to forgive you...

        >I've had Intensify (in mp3 form) for a loooong time... Why is
        >Distint'ive just now releasing it? (Like I said I think this was
        >mentioned..sorry!)

        The album was finished by the time "UB Devoid" and "The Fall" were
        released some time ago, on Deconstruction. However, not long before the
        album was due for proper release (after quite a few promos had been
        distributed- which is why it's readily available in CD-R or MP3 form),
        Deconstruction basically folded back into their parent company, and in the
        process, ended their contracts with a bunch of artists that they didn't
        consider were 'commercial' enough. Because "The Fall" hadn't stormed up
        the charts, this therefore included Way Out West, who were 'let go'.

        Way Out West were in a contractual wilderness for a little while without a
        record label, before Distinctive signed them, I think, earlier this year.
        Since then, the previously planned single "Mindcircus" has been aborted,
        and Distinctive seem to have put efforts into releasing promos of the new
        single, "Intensify", which will presumably be released officially,
        hopefully be successful, and then to capitalise on that, the album will
        *then* be released. And that, in short, is roughly why it's taken so long.

        As with some other people on this list, I hope that when "Intensify" is
        fully released, it's in a new version- some of "Intensify" does sound a
        little bit dated and there's still a couple of tracks that never quite
        'did it' for me.

        Stuart.
      • Philip Stewart
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 4, 2001
          > Uhmm.... maybe I haven't been paying attention and
          > this has been mentioned
          > before but.. I've had Intensify (in mp3 form) for a
          > loooong time... Why is
          > Distint'ive just now releasing it? (Like I said I
          > think this was
          > mentioned..sorry!)

          BMG were supposed to release it back in February (I
          remember looking for it in the record shops on the
          release date), however Way Out West's departure from
          BMG obviously was a factor in this not occuring. WOW
          signed to Distinctive around about March/April (iirc,
          do correct me if I'm wrong), and now intend releasing
          the album this summer (late August I would expect).
          Hence the distinctive promos are appearing around now.

          I don't know if BMG put out any promos earlier in the
          year, I would have thought there might have been a few
          put out around New Year, but I don't know. Also from
          what I've heard there's a whole lot more to this than
          has been mentioned above, so if someone would like to
          fill in the gaps? ...

          --
          From Phil
        • vinnie970@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 4, 2001
            > >last week I finally found the promo of the new Way Out West album
            in >our
            > >PO box.
            >
            > Uhmm.... maybe I haven't been paying attention and this has been
            mentioned
            > before but.. I've had Intensify (in mp3 form) for a loooong time...
            Why is
            > Distint'ive just now releasing it? (Like I said I think this was
            > mentioned..sorry!)

            it's called label fallout...they were w/ Deconstruction who got
            bought out by BMG who decided to drop WOW right before the release of
            the album back in December.

            What you have on mp3 is a promo release that was leaked out to hungry
            ripper. Also, what u have is the best dance album of y2k1. :)

            VH.
          • Simon Jones
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 4, 2001
              BMG promos were around as early as October/November last year.

              Distinctive promos of both the album and single have been available
              for the last 4 weeks or so, the album is identical to the BMG version
              though.

              Whizz
            • Gavin
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 4, 2001
                The promo I got is from Distinctive and I've seen a release date for
                it now (just forget what it is)..... most hardcore fans have a copy
                by now from one time or another!!

                Track listing in case anyone wants to cross reference with their
                earlier promo:

                The Fall 7.08
                Activity 4.50
                Call Me 4.44
                Hypnotise 5.56
                Shark Hunt 5.33
                Stealth 5.43
                UB Devoid 4.58
                Mindcircus 5.47
                Secret 6.58
                Intensify Part 1 6.58
                Intensify Part 2 5.25

                All tracks blend into each other, though I found it fairly poor for
                some of them.

                Cheers,
                Gavin

              • vinnie970@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 4, 2001
                  --- In HybridUK@y..., stuart.bruce@a... wrote:
                  > Since then, the previously planned single "Mindcircus" has been
                  aborted,

                  I don't think releasing "Mindcircus" as a single has been aborted,
                  just postponed.

                  >As with some other people on this list, I hope that
                  >when "Intensify" is fully released, it's in a new version-
                  >some of "Intensify" does sound a little bit dated and there's
                  >still a couple of tracks that never
                  >quite 'did it' for me.

                  No, I'm afraid it will be identical to what we've already heard. Yes,
                  some of it is outdated, because a few of the tracks were already near
                  completion in 1999 ("Activity," & "Hypnotise," for instance).

                  VH.
                • vinnie970@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 4, 2001
                    --- In HybridUK@y..., "Simon Jones" <whizz@u...> wrote:
                    > BMG promos were around as early as October/November last year.
                    > Distinctive promos of both the album and single have been available
                    > for the last 4 weeks or so, the album is identical to the BMG
                    >versionthough.

                    > Whizz

                    To add to this, I think they spent so much time on getting the album
                    to it's current state, that they didn't want to make any more
                    changes, as to not dilute the masterpiece they had planned for Feb.
                    2001.

                    VH.
                  • vinnie970@yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 4, 2001
                      --- In HybridUK@y..., "Gavin" <gstok@y...> wrote:
                      > The promo I got is from Distinctive and I've seen a release date for
                      > it now (just forget what it is)..... most hardcore fans have a copy
                      > by now from one time or another!!
                      >
                      > Track listing in case anyone wants to cross reference with their
                      > earlier promo:
                      >
                      > The Fall 7.08
                      > Activity 4.50
                      > Call Me 4.44
                      > Hypnotise 5.56
                      > Shark Hunt 5.33
                      > Stealth 5.43
                      > UB Devoid 4.58
                      > Mindcircus 5.47
                      > Secret 6.58
                      > Intensify Part 1 6.58
                      > Intensify Part 2 5.25
                      >
                      > All tracks blend into each other, though I found it fairly poor for
                      > some of them.
                      >
                      > Cheers,
                      > Gavin

                      Yes, same as the one I have. What's your problem with some of the
                      transitions? I thought it was sequenced rather well...then again it's
                      all a matter of opinion.

                      VH.