[Hybrid] Way Out West - Intensify - review and more ...

  • krip420@iwon.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 2, 2001
      [[[ Ally says: I've also copied this to the WayOutWest group ]]]

      Way Out West - Intensify

      Distinct'ive
      Release date: unknown

      Rating: 8.5 out of 10

      Comment: We have been waiting for it a long time, but last week I finally
      found the promo of the new Way Out West album in our PO box. It contains
      eleven tracks and most of them I heard before on the dancefloor. I guess
      lackers of the WOW productions are very popular among the premier league
      DJ's. Just like it should be, because almost every track on this 'Intensify'
      album is a guaranteed blockbuster.

      If your could imagine something like a mainstream thing within the progressive
      dance music I think WOW would be given us the directions. These production
      are beautiful master pieces, which are all releases with remixes from major
      producers in the scene. Check for instance the first release of this album.
      It's called 'Intensify', just like the album and you can buy it with a dark
      and deep remix from Peace Division.

      The album starts with one of the best tracks of the album. It's called 'The
      fall' and you can also find it on Dave Seaman's Global Underground Cape
      Town. Other tracks like 'Activity', 'Call me' and 'Hypnotize' are different,
      innovative and will be appreciated by a wide audience worldwide. Tracks
      like 'UB Devoid', 'Mindcircus' and of course 'Intensify', which is pressed
      in two different parts, form the high points of the album, but I guess everybody
      will choose different favorites out of this eleven great tracks.

      The title 'Intensify' is a well-chosen label for this new direction from
      Way Out West. Almost all tracks are epic floorfillers that create an intense
      feeling of being locked-up in a melody on the dancefloor. Nick Warren is
      a good DJ, but I personally respect him more for his producing skills. Especially
      with his Way Out West partner Jody.

      You can read this an much much more from www.xpander.nl, this site is probably
      one of the most informative websites I have ever encountered. This site
      is gr8 when it comes to news, party agendas, reviews, vip's, labels and
      clubs !!!
      If you never been to this site I suggest you check it out if you like yo
      keep updated with all your favorite DJ's/Producers and up coming events.
      Some other things to look for here: Hybrid (interview), Chemical Brothers
      - Africa-ca-ca (news), Nick Warren's top 20 (news), State Liquor Authority
      Shuts Down Two Gatien Nightclubs (news), Deep Dish vs Nsynch (news), Justin
      Robertson - Imprint (review) asnd many many more things, this email is already
      too long so go check this site out, it is updated often.

      www.xpander.nl

      Peace !
      Jose
    • krip420@iwon.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 2, 2001
        Just got this and still have not heard all but so far this is a gr8 mix
        on CD1 of old and nu skool breeaks put into 1.
        CD1:
        1. Bless The Funk - NY Connection
        2. Tribal Tension - Lee Coombs & Drumattic Twins
        3. Dirty South - Meat Katie
        4. The Break - Skybox
        5. Put The Needle Back On The Record - Criminal Element Orchestra
        6. Rotten.com - Meat Katie
        7. Killa Brew - Soul Of Man
        8. Fade In - Koma & Bones
        9. Gameboy (Terminalhead Remix) - Only Kismet
        10. That's My Style - Freq Nasty
        11. Searcher - Tim Wright
        12. Scram - Plump DJ's
        13. Travelling On (Koma & Bones rmx) - Beber & Tamra

        CD2 IS LIKE A F**CKIN TRAIN ...

        1. Hook You Up - Disco Assassins
        2. Lock Up - Zero B
        3. Apache Breakdown - A2Z
        4. 1000 Names - DJ Icey
        5. Plump Yer Butt - Plump DJ's
        6. Monster - Bushwacka
        7. My Technique (Lee Coombs rmx) - DJ Technique
        8. Loose Caboose (Bassbin Twins rmx) - Electroliners
        9. Big Groovy F**ker - Plump DJ's
        10. 9 Ways (Plump DJ's rmx) - JDS
        11. Neuro - Brainiac
        12. Now Is The Time - Freestylers
        13. Take It Easy (Plump DJ rmx) - Mint Royale
        14. Humanoid 2001 (Plump DJs Remix) - Stakka Humanoid

        I noticed that there was no Hybrid remixes or tunes on this cd but hey,
        still good qwol. :(

        It's worth the buy ... I love it how they can pull out a lil bit of everything
        I like, deep and dark, agrsv. old skool, nu skoll etc.
        CD1 sounds are like old skool wiv new skool.
        Very much like Jay Cunning of patchwork.co.uk, www.tidalflow.co.uk/jay/(under
        construction), he's also listed under breaksworld.com ... look under Dj
        sets and mixes.
        CD2 is just PhAt !! Up beat, delivering nice dark prgrsv. breaks, deep sounds,
        vocals and BASS !! Agressive ... like a train !! Gte the f**k off the tracks
        .. here comes the Plump train.

        Peace !
        Jose

        p.s: (Plump DJ's) on 2 X multimedia cd. contains a web link for 2 exlclusive.
        previously unreleased tracks. I think this are it ... www.mobrecords.com
        &/or www.INC.redible.com (don't quote me on that)
      • krip420@iwon.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 3, 2001
          For thos who are fans of Renie ...

          VA-Rennie Pilgrem Presents Tcr - Rennie Pilgrem Presents Tcr 50 $17.49

          Release Date: July 24, 2001
          Label: STREETBEAT
          Genre: ELEC

          2 CD SET

          I got this on pre order (along with Steve Lawler - Dark Drums) @ www.cdnow.com

          Peace !
          Jose
        • krip420@iwon.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 5, 2001
            Hello,

            I was looking at the new releases @ cdnow.com, I'm getting ready to buy
            Chris Fortier - Atmospherics 2 due out on July 10th, then I ran into this
            Jody : Way Out There-A Progressive DJ (out now) ... Does anyone know if
            this is something that Jody from Way Out West did ???

            Please advise.
            Thanx.

            Peace !
            Jose
          • krip420@iwon.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 5, 2001
              regarding: Way Out There: A Progressive DJ Mix by Jody
              Bliss Records | 2001

              Here are the tracks ...

              Track 1: Life - G Pal
              Track 2: Dubb Me Some'tin Fresh - The 6400...
              Track 3: Junior Aspirin - Medicine
              Track 4: Hold Tight - Quinn Whalley
              Track 5: Obsidian - Banco De Gaia (The Light Vs PFN mix)
              Track 6: Driverz Of The Deep - Chiller Twist (Senna Summer...
              Track 7: Oiseau Bleu - Birdy
              Track 8: Crazy People - 3 Monkeys (Quivver mix)
              Track 9: Highjackers - Glen Masters
              Track 10: Mindcircus - Way Out West (Way Out West Club mix)
              Track 11: Love - Luke Slater
              Track 12: Travalogue - Loafer
              Track 13: Radio Babylon - Meat Beat Manifesto
              Track 14: First Light - Ogenki Clinic
              Track 15: Stillsuit - 2 Sinners

              Does this ring a bell to anyone ?

              P/A

              Peace !
              Jose
            • Simon Jones
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 5, 2001
                It is indeed Jody from WOW.. its a very good album..

                Heres a review i knocked up for a prog music site.

                Jody Wisternoff, the younger half of the acclaimed Bristol based duo, Way
                Out West delivers a stunning mix which shows off his eccletic side.

                G-Pal's Life is chosen as the opening track, and what a way to begin, a
                lush, piano based track, just perfect to entice the listener in, telling
                them to take a seat before proceedings get underway.

                From here we progress along until the familar sound of Banco de Gaia's
                Obsidian kicks in, building the energy higher and higher, before dropping
                down into Chiller Twist's Drivers Of The Deep, letting the drums and dark
                bassline of Birdy's Oseau Blue move into the sinister Quivver mix of Crazy
                People.

                The percussion of Highjackers drawns you in closer, before the almighty
                sound of Way Out West's Mindcircus, twisted and adjusted with the dancefloor
                in mind comes thundering through the speakers, picking up the pace which
                does not relent, continuing and taking in such awesome and diverse tracks as
                Loafer's Travelogue and Meat Beat Manifesto's eccletic masterpiece, Radio
                Babylon.

                James Holden rears his head with the anime porn insprired First Light by
                Ogenki Clinic, before the lush vocals of 2 Sinners' Stillsuit end this
                inspried progressive journey. which proves that whilst Nick Warren is the
                more talked about member of Way Out West, Jody is more than capable of
                holding his own amogst the vast amount of progressive DJs out there today.

                Rating: 9/10.

                Chris Fortier - Atmospherics 2 due out on July 10th, then I ran into this
                Jody : Way Out There-A Progressive DJ (out now) ... Does anyone know if
                this is something that Jody from Way Out West did ???

                Please advise.
                Thanx.

                Peace !
                Jose

                ------------------------------
                The Hybrid Discussion Group
                http://www.hybrid-group.co.uk
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 5, 2001
                  Indeed it does...just released nearly 2 weeks ago and featuring 15
                  tracks in 72 minutes, this is a very refreshing progressive mix, and
                  my candidate for mix album of the year. Featuring styles as diverse
                  as melodic tech-house, tech breaks, progressive house and straight up
                  trance, there's never a boring moment.

                  And it's worth it for the unreleased Club Mix of Mindcircus alone.

                  VH.

                  PS. come join the WOW list at
                  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wayoutwest as this has been mentioned
                  there several times before.

                  > Here are the tracks ...

                  <snip>

                  > Does this ring a bell to anyone ?
                • Gavin
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 27, 2003
                    So NuBreed are on the list huh? How do you know really, hmmm? :)

                    I've yet to see any comments from them about their opinions of live
                    sets on the net, so if I get a chance to ask them some questions will
                    add it.

                    By the way my NuBreed site is now BIGGER. yay! The discog has been
                    split, as per how the Hybrid one used to be (R.I.P.). If there really
                    are NuBreed memebers on here, tell me what you think! ;) OK, and the
                    rest of you too!

                    Enjoy!

                    Cheers,
                    Gavin Stok

                    NuBreed: http://nubreed.gavinstok.com/
                  • Andy Grundman
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 27, 2003
                      Great work Gavin, your discogs rule. I don't think Nubreed are on the
                      list...he meant Burufunk I think. Curtis also contacted me about not
                      distributing that set, even though I don't have it. :( He assured me
                      once some of the tracks on it get a proper release that he will allow it
                      to be shared.

                      Here's a question that's been bugging me for a while. What is the
                      proper name for the group?? Is it Nubreed, nubreed, Nu Breed, NuBreed?
                      Or have they not made up their minds yet? I notice you overcome this
                      problem by using all lowercase on your site. :)

                      -Andy

                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 13, 2003
                        OK to address some NuBreed messages:

                        1. Jase, they play Brisbane fairly regularly so maybe worth the trek
                        down. Maybe they'll do a longer tour (including tropical north
                        Queensland!) to support the album.

                        2. "Tokyo" is done with Luke Chable. They dedicated it to him when they
                        played live at Revolver (Melbourne) too! It's a killer track so sorry
                        to not see it on the album. Last I heard it's still planned for release
                        in some form or other... one day! (pun intended)

                        3. As to Hybrid rumour I don't think it's anything more than "we like
                        each other and would like to work together". I'm still organising an
                        interview with NuBreed so will ask what it's all about. Any other
                        questions for the lads?

                        4. Midi Killer is a strange ommission, but looks like they have 2 CDs
                        worth of material. Maybe their 2nd album will follow shortly after. :)

                        As to Oz version being different, news to me! Simon, what's the rumour
                        there?

                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 14, 2003
                          Oz version is different. 'The Original' will not be exported to Oz,
                          and the Oz version features a track called 'Oblivion' as played by
                          Phil K on Groovetech yesterday.