Re: [Hybrid] Re: lurker / it's not mine, honest!

  • Stu Bruise
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 29, 2001
      On 28 Jun 2001, at 8:59, stuart.bruce@... wrote:

      > Mike Oldfield- Tubular Bells, Tubular Bells 2, Tubular Bells 3,
      > Orchestral Tubular Bells, Remastered Tubular Bells, The Millennium
      > Bell, The Best Of Tubular Bells, The Bell (single, German version & 2
      > British versions) + half a dozen other singles taken from the Tubular
      > Bells 2 & 3 albums, + several T-shirts and posters from when I went to
      > the Tubular Bells 3 premiere in London... because each of them is
      > still a great album in the old put-headphones-on, turn-the-lights-off,
      > lie-back sense (except the Millennium Bell, which was very
      > disappointing, don't bother).

      Ahh, but have you got the Mike Oldfield single with the hilarious
      comedy drum & banjo remix? With "Rankin' Sean", or whatever his
      name is ;)

      > Pet Shop Boys- more than 100 different CDs (albums + singles). No,
      > really. And it took me more than a month to realise that "Go West" was
      > actually a gay anthem. I thought it was just a song about having a
      > holiday.

      You wouldn't know it from the way they covered it though; it sounds
      more like a hymn to the Westernisation of Russia than anything :)

      ~~stu
    • Alan Duval
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 1, 2001
        "...which reminds me, I'm a big fan of the Labyrinth soundtrack with
        David Bowie as well, forgot to mention that. To be honest I probably
        wouldn't be as impressed with the music if it hadn't been attached to
        such a great film."

        Ditto, got it, though.
      • deekay@dfu.de
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 2, 2001
          > "...which reminds me, I'm a big fan of the Labyrinth soundtrack with
          > David Bowie as well, forgot to mention that. To be honest I probably
          > wouldn't be as impressed with the music if it hadn't been attached to
          > such a great film."
          >
          > Ditto, got it, though.

          I'm having a private exchange with Stuart about this film, and there's some interesting trivia that
          some of you might consider interesting:

          The film (made in 1986) features an Owl Animation in the beginning that was completely
          computer generated! Considering the widely acclaimed Luxor Jr. from PIXAR was released in the
          same year this is pretty interesting, since the Owl Animation is far more advanced and much
          harder to do (it was pretty much life-like, had textures, bump/displacement maps, mirrors
          (raytracing?) and so on, all of which Luxor Jr. didn't have!). The credits quote a company called
          'Digital Productions' for the intro sequence.. Tron, however, was four years earlier, but that one
          was as far from the Owl animation as Wolfenstein 3D is from Quake3! <:-)

          Funny thing is, that the highly acclaimed Industrial Light and Magic, who are known as one of
          THE best Computer-generated Special-FX Company (if not THE best - they set landmarks in
          CGI like Terminator 2, The Abyss and Jurassic Park!) only did the assumably non-computer
          (back then!) matte paintings for Labyrinth! 8) They prolly got the hang of the whole thing when
          they saw what Digital Productions did, maybe they even just "swallowed" the dudes that made it
          or the company altogether, which seems pretty likely cause i haven't heard of Digital
          Productions ever since! ;-D

          Another interesting thing that noone seems to know is, that Terry Jones (of Monty Python fame)
          was responsible for the screenplay, cause he was one of Britain's leading children's authors at
          the time!

          Well.. So much for the trivia.. Thanks for reading, and spread the word, so that people learn that
          Luxor Jr. wasn't that much of a landmark as people generally say! >;-)

          DeeKay
        • stuart.bruce@aardman.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 3, 2001
            >I'm having a private exchange with Stuart about this film, and there's
            >some interesting trivia that
            >some of you might consider interesting:

            Talk about starting a wildly off-topic discussion... ah well.

            >The film (made in 1986) features an Owl Animation in the beginning that
            >was completely
            >computer generated!

            After a quick surf on the web I found this site:
            http://www.wam.umd.edu/~danf/engl/

            which shows, just for the sake of argument, that "Labyrinth" wasn't the
            first film to acheive something this impressive. "Young Sherlock Holmes",
            the previous year, had a computer-generated knight made out of stained
            glass chasing the main characters, which I'd forgotten about.

            >Another interesting thing that noone seems to know is, that Terry Jones
            >(of Monty Python fame) was responsible for the screenplay,

            As I mentioned in private e-mail, don't assume that "noone seems to know"
            before you even ask. I could've told you that off the top of my head. :-)

            >Well.. So much for the trivia.. Thanks for reading, and spread the word,
            >so that people learn that
            >Luxor Jr. wasn't that much of a landmark as people generally say! >;-)

            On the subject of Pixar, there's a new animation from Pixar based around
            birds on a telephone wire, and a strange world that comes along and tries
            to join their gang. I can't remember what it's called but check it out,
            it's brilliant.

            Stuart.