Re(2): [Hybrid] Re: lurker / it's not mine, honest!

  • stuart.bruce@aardman.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 28, 2001
      HybridUK@yahoogroups.com writes:
      >LOL!... So you're gonna join the Wombles? <:-)))
      >Did that memory re-ignite an ancient childhood dream of yours or what? ;-D

      That's right, I remembered I'm a womble.

      Stuart.

      --
      Stuart Bruce
      stuart.bruce@...

      You have a lunchtime appointment at:
      http://www.angrykid.com
      This message has been checked for all known viruses by the MessageLabs Virus Control Centre.
    • Alan Duval
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 28, 2001
        "Mike Oldfield- Tubular Bells, Tubular Bells 2, Tubular Bells 3,
        Orchestral Tubular Bells, Remastered Tubular Bells, The Millennium
        Bell, The Best Of Tubular Bells, The Bell (single, German version & 2
        British versions) + half a dozen other singles taken from the Tubular
        Bells 2 & 3 albums, + several T-shirts and posters from when I went
        to the Tubular Bells 3 premiere in London... because each of them is
        still a great album in the old put-headphones-on, turn-the-lights-
        off, lie-back sense (except the Millennium Bell, which was very
        disappointing, don't bother)."

        Yeah, I can live with Tubular Bells. What was that recent single
        with the girl talking on it - that was kinda cute, especially the way
        she overpronounced Tubular Bells. I doubt that Millennium Bell could
        have been as disappointing as Jean Michel Jarre's second Oxygene
        Album.

        "Pet Shop Boys- more than 100 different CDs (albums + singles). No,
        really. And it took me more than a month to realise that "Go West"
        was actually a gay anthem. I thought it was just a song about having
        a holiday."

        Is that the same 'Go West' as the Village People? If so, hmm, let's
        see, a Village People song covered by the Petshop Boys. A gay
        anthem? Surely not:D

        "Dario G "Sunmachine" (the first album). They're most noted for their
        cheesy side, but tracks like "Voices" are wonderful (a shame it got
        overexposed by the "Beach" soundtrack a year or more after the album
        was released)."

        I liked 'Sunchyme', I still think that it should have won a video
        award, somewhere, that was cool! The Coloured Oxygen remap
        of "Sunchyme' is pretty excellent, too. And, at the height of it's
        fame I found it always went down a treat when mixed with
        SASH's 'Ecuador'

        "Dannii Minogue "Girl". If there's one thing reliably less credible
        than Kylie, it's Dannii. The "Girl" album was a foray into electro-
        trance-pop, and most of the time it works. Trouser Enthusiasts did
        bucketloads of remixes, which helped. "Coconut" is too silly for
        words, but in a very listenable way."

        IU never bought the album but I thought 'Disremembrance' was a pretty
        decent track, in it's time, the Trouser Enthusiasts and (from memory)
        Xenomania mixes helped, of course. It, unfortunately, has not aged
        well, where Kylie's 'Confide in Me' stuff did.

        "But finally it gets worse...

        Betty Boo "Grrr! It's Betty Boo". *Completely* non-credible nowadays,
        but ol' Alison was actually a member of the She-Rockers beforehand
        (who *are* credible enough), and has carried on writing strong pop
        songs. It might be kitsch, and some of the songs stink (often the
        singles), but quite a few are great. But now I'm going to get
        crucified for admitting to owning it..."

        I actually liked 'Where are You Baby', that may have something to do
        with the rollerskating scene in Career Opportunities/One Wild Night,
        mmmm, Jennifer Connelly, mmmm, but it's still a fun little ditty and
        I'm all for music being fun every now and then:D
      • Alan Duval
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 28, 2001
          --- In HybridUK@y..., stuart.bruce@a... wrote:
          > >LOL!... So you're gonna join the Wombles? <:-)))
          > >Did that memory re-ignite an ancient childhood dream of yours or
          what? ;-D

          > That's right, I remembered I'm a womble.

          Ah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-
          hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-
        • deekay@dfu.de
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 28, 2001
            > Mike Oldfield- Tubular Bells, Tubular Bells 2, Tubular Bells 3, Orchestral
            > Tubular Bells, Remastered Tubular Bells, The Millennium Bell, The Best Of
            > Tubular Bells, The Bell (single, German version & 2 British versions) +
            > half a dozen other singles taken from the Tubular Bells 2 & 3 albums, +
            > several T-shirts and posters from when I went to the Tubular Bells 3
            > premiere in London...

            You're missing the Taco Bell, Pacific Bell, Graham Bell and the Division Bell! ;-D
            Try scanning Napster for these, hehe...

            *scnr*

            DeeKay, wondering if Ol' Mikefield ever did anything else than "Bells"! <:-)
          • stuart.bruce@aardman.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 29, 2001
              All pretty off-topic...

              >Yeah, I can live with Tubular Bells. What was that recent single
              >with the girl talking on it - that was kinda cute, especially the way
              >she overpronounced Tubular Bells.

              "Far Above The Clouds", one of the two singles from Tubular Bells 3. There
              were remixes by Jam & Spoon (pretty good) and Timewriter (average).

              >I doubt that Millennium Bell could
              >have been as disappointing as Jean Michel Jarre's second Oxygene
              >Album.

              Having loved the original albums in both cases, and heard both of the
              follow-ups, I'd say that the Millennium Bell is *much* more disappointing
              than Oxygene 7-13. Oxygene 7-13 was poor, Millennium Bell was worse.

              As for other stuff Mike Oldfield's done (mentioned in somebody else's
              e-mail), I'd recommend:
              Let There Be Light (single, remixes by BT & Hardfloor)
              Five Miles Out
              erm... that's it really.

              [re: Pet Shop Boys]

              >Is that the same 'Go West' as the Village People? If so, hmm, let's
              >see, a Village People song covered by the Petshop Boys. A gay
              >anthem? Surely not:D

              Hey, I was very naive in those days- after all, I was only 13 years old...
              and being very naive is a good way to be free from prejudice when you're
              that young.

              [re: Betty Boo]

              >I actually liked 'Where are You Baby',

              Just one of several catchy songs she wrote. So there.

              >that may have something to do
              >with the rollerskating scene in Career Opportunities/One Wild Night,
              >mmmm, Jennifer Connelly, mmmm,

              ...which reminds me, I'm a big fan of the Labyrinth soundtrack with David
              Bowie as well, forgot to mention that. To be honest I probably wouldn't be
              as impressed with the music if it hadn't been attached to such a great
              film.

              Stuart.
            • Stu Bruise
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 29, 2001
                On 28 Jun 2001, at 8:59, stuart.bruce@... wrote:

                > Mike Oldfield- Tubular Bells, Tubular Bells 2, Tubular Bells 3,
                > Orchestral Tubular Bells, Remastered Tubular Bells, The Millennium
                > Bell, The Best Of Tubular Bells, The Bell (single, German version & 2
                > British versions) + half a dozen other singles taken from the Tubular
                > Bells 2 & 3 albums, + several T-shirts and posters from when I went to
                > the Tubular Bells 3 premiere in London... because each of them is
                > still a great album in the old put-headphones-on, turn-the-lights-off,
                > lie-back sense (except the Millennium Bell, which was very
                > disappointing, don't bother).

                Ahh, but have you got the Mike Oldfield single with the hilarious
                comedy drum & banjo remix? With "Rankin' Sean", or whatever his
                name is ;)

                > Pet Shop Boys- more than 100 different CDs (albums + singles). No,
                > really. And it took me more than a month to realise that "Go West" was
                > actually a gay anthem. I thought it was just a song about having a
                > holiday.

                You wouldn't know it from the way they covered it though; it sounds
                more like a hymn to the Westernisation of Russia than anything :)

                ~~stu
              • Alan Duval
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 1, 2001
                  "...which reminds me, I'm a big fan of the Labyrinth soundtrack with
                  David Bowie as well, forgot to mention that. To be honest I probably
                  wouldn't be as impressed with the music if it hadn't been attached to
                  such a great film."

                  Ditto, got it, though.
                • deekay@dfu.de
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 2, 2001
                    > "...which reminds me, I'm a big fan of the Labyrinth soundtrack with
                    > David Bowie as well, forgot to mention that. To be honest I probably
                    > wouldn't be as impressed with the music if it hadn't been attached to
                    > such a great film."
                    >
                    > Ditto, got it, though.

                    I'm having a private exchange with Stuart about this film, and there's some interesting trivia that
                    some of you might consider interesting:

                    The film (made in 1986) features an Owl Animation in the beginning that was completely
                    computer generated! Considering the widely acclaimed Luxor Jr. from PIXAR was released in the
                    same year this is pretty interesting, since the Owl Animation is far more advanced and much
                    harder to do (it was pretty much life-like, had textures, bump/displacement maps, mirrors
                    (raytracing?) and so on, all of which Luxor Jr. didn't have!). The credits quote a company called
                    'Digital Productions' for the intro sequence.. Tron, however, was four years earlier, but that one
                    was as far from the Owl animation as Wolfenstein 3D is from Quake3! <:-)

                    Funny thing is, that the highly acclaimed Industrial Light and Magic, who are known as one of
                    THE best Computer-generated Special-FX Company (if not THE best - they set landmarks in
                    CGI like Terminator 2, The Abyss and Jurassic Park!) only did the assumably non-computer
                    (back then!) matte paintings for Labyrinth! 8) They prolly got the hang of the whole thing when
                    they saw what Digital Productions did, maybe they even just "swallowed" the dudes that made it
                    or the company altogether, which seems pretty likely cause i haven't heard of Digital
                    Productions ever since! ;-D

                    Another interesting thing that noone seems to know is, that Terry Jones (of Monty Python fame)
                    was responsible for the screenplay, cause he was one of Britain's leading children's authors at
                    the time!

                    Well.. So much for the trivia.. Thanks for reading, and spread the word, so that people learn that
                    Luxor Jr. wasn't that much of a landmark as people generally say! >;-)

                    DeeKay
                  • stuart.bruce@aardman.com
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 3, 2001
                      >I'm having a private exchange with Stuart about this film, and there's
                      >some interesting trivia that
                      >some of you might consider interesting:

                      Talk about starting a wildly off-topic discussion... ah well.

                      >The film (made in 1986) features an Owl Animation in the beginning that
                      >was completely
                      >computer generated!

                      After a quick surf on the web I found this site:
                      http://www.wam.umd.edu/~danf/engl/

                      which shows, just for the sake of argument, that "Labyrinth" wasn't the
                      first film to acheive something this impressive. "Young Sherlock Holmes",
                      the previous year, had a computer-generated knight made out of stained
                      glass chasing the main characters, which I'd forgotten about.

                      >Another interesting thing that noone seems to know is, that Terry Jones
                      >(of Monty Python fame) was responsible for the screenplay,

                      As I mentioned in private e-mail, don't assume that "noone seems to know"
                      before you even ask. I could've told you that off the top of my head. :-)

                      >Well.. So much for the trivia.. Thanks for reading, and spread the word,
                      >so that people learn that
                      >Luxor Jr. wasn't that much of a landmark as people generally say! >;-)

                      On the subject of Pixar, there's a new animation from Pixar based around
                      birds on a telephone wire, and a strange world that comes along and tries
                      to join their gang. I can't remember what it's called but check it out,
                      it's brilliant.

                      Stuart.