lurker

  • Stephanie Rae
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 27, 2001
      Okay...I've been a silent observer on this list for quite some time now. But the conversation today is so funny I can't help but participate.

      Hi. My name is Stephanie. (hi Stephanie)
      and I'm a music-aholic. music whore. stereo control freak. all of the above.

      I also went to college with a few cassettes (I am old) and within the first semester my parents stopped sending me money after they saw my record collection. I became a college radio DJ, went into the music business, and am now sitting in a room where all four walls are pretty much lined with records or CDs.

      I also own Enya and Prince Greatest Hits (I,II,&III) and am proud of it. I am not so proud that I still have (and sing to) The 5th Dimension "Aquarias/Let The Sunshine In," Candlebox, and The Best of Berlin. Pretty much anything 80's, the golden era of electronic music in the form of moody new wave. Also Michael Jackson.

      HOWEVER- Hybrid is my favorite band, along with Nine Inch Nails and The Cocteau Twins.

      There, I've come out.

      Ill, very ill,
      Stephanie

      PS- Ally- did you list all the cool records in front of you to atone for your embarrassing list?
      PPS- what is a womble?!

      Stephanie Rae

      Spundae Recordings, L.A. Office
      1476 1/2 S. Canfield Ave.
      Los Angeles, CA 90035 USA

      Tel: 310-556-0503
      Fax: 240-363-0509

      "and i soar like a bird on the wind...ooo i glide as i'm flyin thru heaven."
    • Jon Gerler
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 27, 2001
        Okay - I suppose it's the newbie's turn to list *some* of his embarassing
        records (which I may or may not currently own):

        Johnny Hates Jazz - Turn Back the Clock
        (had this one in middle school when the "Shattered Dreams" song came out -
        *cringe*)

        Top Gun soundtrack
        (first CD I ever owned - not quite sure how to feel about this one. On one
        hand, it's a great 80's relic. On the other, some of those tracks just make
        me cringe)

        Psykosonik (self-titled)
        (early rave group signed to TVT - "Silicon Jesus" wasn't bad, but damn some
        of that s**t was cheesy. Their second record "unlearn" was better, but not
        by much)

        7" of "The Curly Shuffle" (bought when I was a kid)
        7" of "Pac Man Fever" (suppose I could get something for this on Ebay? It's
        in mint condition)

        I could name more but my stomach is starting to get upset.

        Anyway - I can't claim to have the CD addiction that I've been hearing about
        from you guys, but when I was in college my first roommate and I owned
        nearly 4,500 CDs between the two of us, stacked against on wall of our dorm
        room. most of them ended up being sold to pay for alcohol... :-)

        So there. :-)

        Jon G. (Dj FM)
        http://www.djfm.com
      • krip420@iwon.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 27, 2001
          Well it is very nice to meet you Stephanie ... looking for that Jerry B.
          cd that Spundae released and I can't seem to find it. I did however find
          1 from 1998. Can you help ?
          Anyways, you seem pretty cool and have a nice voice.

          >Okay...I've been a silent observer on this list for quite some time now.

          I thought we were being watched. lol

          >There, I've come out.
          >
          >Ill, very ill,
          >Stephanie

          Glad you came out !
          Peace !
          Jose

          321-984-86** .... oops, almost gave out my phone # ... lol ;-)
        • Alan Duval
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 27, 2001
            OK, for one thing "Let the Sun Shine In/Aquarius" is an awesome
            track, actually, the whole 'Hair' soundtrack is... "Manchester,
            England, England":D. I happen to have this on a very cool 5-track CD-
            single - the remixes are awesome.

            If you have never watched British television you will probably not
            know what a 'Womble' is, and it would be very hard to explain. You
            will also probably not know Danger Mouse or Dr. Who, either, which is
            a shame. My best attempt at a 'womble' definition would be all the
            main characters of 'Wind in the Willows' rolled into one and crossed
            with Paddington Bear (damn, you probably won't know that bear,
            either), OK, Pooh will do, at a pinch. Now replicate the outcome out
            into a number of characters much like, though not so numerous as, the
            Smurfs, and there you have it. They're cute, cuddly, all named
            after famous cities and have a penchant for tidying things up. The
            theme tune gices it a way really - all Brits feel free to join in:

            Underground, overground - wombling free
            The Wombles of Wimbledon Common are we
            Making good use of the things that we find
            The things that the every day folk leave behind

            Actually anyone who can supply the next stanza would be good:D
          • stuart.bruce@aardman.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 28, 2001
              I realised that I didn't really answer the original question in my
              albums/artists that I really like, but which would seriously damage my
              credibility if my credibility wasn't already in the gutter.

              Mike Oldfield- Tubular Bells, Tubular Bells 2, Tubular Bells 3, Orchestral
              Tubular Bells, Remastered Tubular Bells, The Millennium Bell, The Best Of
              Tubular Bells, The Bell (single, German version & 2 British versions) +
              half a dozen other singles taken from the Tubular Bells 2 & 3 albums, +
              several T-shirts and posters from when I went to the Tubular Bells 3
              premiere in London... because each of them is still a great album in the
              old put-headphones-on, turn-the-lights-off, lie-back sense (except the
              Millennium Bell, which was very disappointing, don't bother).

              Pet Shop Boys- more than 100 different CDs (albums + singles). No, really.
              And it took me more than a month to realise that "Go West" was actually a
              gay anthem. I thought it was just a song about having a holiday.

              Dario G "Sunmachine" (the first album). They're most noted for their
              cheesy side, but tracks like "Voices" are wonderful (a shame it got
              overexposed by the "Beach" soundtrack a year or more after the album was
              released).

              Dannii Minogue "Girl". If there's one thing reliably less credible than
              Kylie, it's Dannii. The "Girl" album was a foray into electro-trance-pop,
              and most of the time it works. Trouser Enthusiasts did bucketloads of
              remixes, which helped. "Coconut" is too silly for words, but in a very
              listenable way. But finally it gets worse...

              Betty Boo "Grrr! It's Betty Boo". *Completely* non-credible nowadays, but
              ol' Alison was actually a member of the She-Rockers beforehand (who *are*
              credible enough), and has carried on writing strong pop songs. It might be
              kitsch, and some of the songs stink (often the singles), but quite a few
              are great. But now I'm going to get crucified for admitting to owning it...

              HybridUK@yahoogroups.com writes:
              >If you have never watched British television you will probably not
              >know what a 'Womble' is, and it would be very hard to explain. You
              >will also probably not know Danger Mouse or Dr. Who, either, which is
              >a shame.

              Doctor Who and Dangermouse both travelled to the US (in a sense) and got
              shown in syndication- Doctor Who quite widely, Dangermouse only in certain
              areas.

              >They're cute, cuddly, all named
              >after famous cities and have a penchant for tidying things up.

              And to be pedantic, they're not quite all named after famous cities. Uncle
              Bulgaria is named after a country, I don't know if there's a place called
              Cholet after which Madame Cholet was named, and Bungo the drummer was
              surely not named after a famous city? (Unless there's a really famous city
              called Bungo that it is illegal to print on maps...)

              >The
              >theme tune gices it a way really - all Brits feel free to join in:
              >
              >Underground, overground - wombling free
              >The Wombles of Wimbledon Common are we
              >Making good use of the things that we find
              >The things that the every day folk leave behind
              >
              >Actually anyone who can supply the next stanza would be good:D

              From memory it's:

              Uncle Bulgaria, he can remember the days when he wasn't behind the times,
              With his map of the world, he picks up the papers and takes them to
              Tobermory.
              Wombles are organised, work as a team, Wombles are tidy and Wombles are
              clean,
              Underground, overground (etc.)

              People don't notice us, they never see, under a noses a Womble may be,
              Womble by night and womble by day, looking for litter to tidy away,
              We're so utterly devious, making the most out of everything
              Bottles and tins, pick up the pieces and make them into something new,
              Is what we do...

              Underground, overground (etc.)

              I think that I am now going to go and hide under a rock until I have
              learnt to live with the shame.

              Stuart.

              --
              Stuart Bruce
              stuart.bruce@...

              You have a lunchtime appointment at:
              http://www.angrykid.com
              This message has been checked for all known viruses by the MessageLabs Virus Control Centre.
            • DeeKay
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 28, 2001

                > >Actually anyone who can supply the next stanza would be good:D

                <snip>

                >I think that I am now going to go and hide under a rock until I have
                >learnt to live with the shame.

                LOL!... So you're gonna join the Wombles? <:-)))
                Did that memory re-ignite an ancient childhood dream of yours or what? ;-D

                DeeKay
              • stuart.bruce@aardman.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 28, 2001
                  HybridUK@yahoogroups.com writes:
                  >LOL!... So you're gonna join the Wombles? <:-)))
                  >Did that memory re-ignite an ancient childhood dream of yours or what? ;-D

                  That's right, I remembered I'm a womble.

                  Stuart.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 28, 2001
                    "Mike Oldfield- Tubular Bells, Tubular Bells 2, Tubular Bells 3,
                    Orchestral Tubular Bells, Remastered Tubular Bells, The Millennium
                    Bell, The Best Of Tubular Bells, The Bell (single, German version & 2
                    British versions) + half a dozen other singles taken from the Tubular
                    Bells 2 & 3 albums, + several T-shirts and posters from when I went
                    to the Tubular Bells 3 premiere in London... because each of them is
                    still a great album in the old put-headphones-on, turn-the-lights-
                    off, lie-back sense (except the Millennium Bell, which was very
                    disappointing, don't bother)."

                    Yeah, I can live with Tubular Bells. What was that recent single
                    with the girl talking on it - that was kinda cute, especially the way
                    she overpronounced Tubular Bells. I doubt that Millennium Bell could
                    have been as disappointing as Jean Michel Jarre's second Oxygene
                    Album.

                    "Pet Shop Boys- more than 100 different CDs (albums + singles). No,
                    really. And it took me more than a month to realise that "Go West"
                    was actually a gay anthem. I thought it was just a song about having
                    a holiday."

                    Is that the same 'Go West' as the Village People? If so, hmm, let's
                    see, a Village People song covered by the Petshop Boys. A gay
                    anthem? Surely not:D

                    "Dario G "Sunmachine" (the first album). They're most noted for their
                    cheesy side, but tracks like "Voices" are wonderful (a shame it got
                    overexposed by the "Beach" soundtrack a year or more after the album
                    was released)."

                    I liked 'Sunchyme', I still think that it should have won a video
                    award, somewhere, that was cool! The Coloured Oxygen remap
                    of "Sunchyme' is pretty excellent, too. And, at the height of it's
                    fame I found it always went down a treat when mixed with
                    SASH's 'Ecuador'

                    "Dannii Minogue "Girl". If there's one thing reliably less credible
                    than Kylie, it's Dannii. The "Girl" album was a foray into electro-
                    trance-pop, and most of the time it works. Trouser Enthusiasts did
                    bucketloads of remixes, which helped. "Coconut" is too silly for
                    words, but in a very listenable way."

                    IU never bought the album but I thought 'Disremembrance' was a pretty
                    decent track, in it's time, the Trouser Enthusiasts and (from memory)
                    Xenomania mixes helped, of course. It, unfortunately, has not aged
                    well, where Kylie's 'Confide in Me' stuff did.

                    "But finally it gets worse...

                    Betty Boo "Grrr! It's Betty Boo". *Completely* non-credible nowadays,
                    but ol' Alison was actually a member of the She-Rockers beforehand
                    (who *are* credible enough), and has carried on writing strong pop
                    songs. It might be kitsch, and some of the songs stink (often the
                    singles), but quite a few are great. But now I'm going to get
                    crucified for admitting to owning it..."

                    I actually liked 'Where are You Baby', that may have something to do
                    with the rollerskating scene in Career Opportunities/One Wild Night,
                    mmmm, Jennifer Connelly, mmmm, but it's still a fun little ditty and
                    I'm all for music being fun every now and then:D
                  • Alan Duval
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 28, 2001
                      --- In HybridUK@y..., stuart.bruce@a... wrote:
                      > >LOL!... So you're gonna join the Wombles? <:-)))
                      > >Did that memory re-ignite an ancient childhood dream of yours or
                      what? ;-D

                      > That's right, I remembered I'm a womble.

                      Ah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-
                      hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-
                    • deekay@dfu.de
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 28, 2001
                        > Mike Oldfield- Tubular Bells, Tubular Bells 2, Tubular Bells 3, Orchestral
                        > Tubular Bells, Remastered Tubular Bells, The Millennium Bell, The Best Of
                        > Tubular Bells, The Bell (single, German version & 2 British versions) +
                        > half a dozen other singles taken from the Tubular Bells 2 & 3 albums, +
                        > several T-shirts and posters from when I went to the Tubular Bells 3
                        > premiere in London...

                        You're missing the Taco Bell, Pacific Bell, Graham Bell and the Division Bell! ;-D
                        Try scanning Napster for these, hehe...

                        *scnr*

                        DeeKay, wondering if Ol' Mikefield ever did anything else than "Bells"! <:-)
                      • stuart.bruce@aardman.com
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 29, 2001
                          All pretty off-topic...

                          >Yeah, I can live with Tubular Bells. What was that recent single
                          >with the girl talking on it - that was kinda cute, especially the way
                          >she overpronounced Tubular Bells.

                          "Far Above The Clouds", one of the two singles from Tubular Bells 3. There
                          were remixes by Jam & Spoon (pretty good) and Timewriter (average).

                          >I doubt that Millennium Bell could
                          >have been as disappointing as Jean Michel Jarre's second Oxygene
                          >Album.

                          Having loved the original albums in both cases, and heard both of the
                          follow-ups, I'd say that the Millennium Bell is *much* more disappointing
                          than Oxygene 7-13. Oxygene 7-13 was poor, Millennium Bell was worse.

                          As for other stuff Mike Oldfield's done (mentioned in somebody else's
                          e-mail), I'd recommend:
                          Let There Be Light (single, remixes by BT & Hardfloor)
                          Five Miles Out
                          erm... that's it really.

                          [re: Pet Shop Boys]

                          >Is that the same 'Go West' as the Village People? If so, hmm, let's
                          >see, a Village People song covered by the Petshop Boys. A gay
                          >anthem? Surely not:D

                          Hey, I was very naive in those days- after all, I was only 13 years old...
                          and being very naive is a good way to be free from prejudice when you're
                          that young.

                          [re: Betty Boo]

                          >I actually liked 'Where are You Baby',

                          Just one of several catchy songs she wrote. So there.

                          >that may have something to do
                          >with the rollerskating scene in Career Opportunities/One Wild Night,
                          >mmmm, Jennifer Connelly, mmmm,

                          ...which reminds me, I'm a big fan of the Labyrinth soundtrack with David
                          Bowie as well, forgot to mention that. To be honest I probably wouldn't be
                          as impressed with the music if it hadn't been attached to such a great
                          film.

                          Stuart.
                        • Stu Bruise
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 29, 2001
                            On 28 Jun 2001, at 8:59, stuart.bruce@... wrote:

                            > Mike Oldfield- Tubular Bells, Tubular Bells 2, Tubular Bells 3,
                            > Orchestral Tubular Bells, Remastered Tubular Bells, The Millennium
                            > Bell, The Best Of Tubular Bells, The Bell (single, German version & 2
                            > British versions) + half a dozen other singles taken from the Tubular
                            > Bells 2 & 3 albums, + several T-shirts and posters from when I went to
                            > the Tubular Bells 3 premiere in London... because each of them is
                            > still a great album in the old put-headphones-on, turn-the-lights-off,
                            > lie-back sense (except the Millennium Bell, which was very
                            > disappointing, don't bother).

                            Ahh, but have you got the Mike Oldfield single with the hilarious
                            comedy drum & banjo remix? With "Rankin' Sean", or whatever his
                            name is ;)

                            > Pet Shop Boys- more than 100 different CDs (albums + singles). No,
                            > really. And it took me more than a month to realise that "Go West" was
                            > actually a gay anthem. I thought it was just a song about having a
                            > holiday.

                            You wouldn't know it from the way they covered it though; it sounds
                            more like a hymn to the Westernisation of Russia than anything :)

                            ~~stu
                          • Alan Duval
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jul 1, 2001
                              "...which reminds me, I'm a big fan of the Labyrinth soundtrack with
                              David Bowie as well, forgot to mention that. To be honest I probably
                              wouldn't be as impressed with the music if it hadn't been attached to
                              such a great film."

                              Ditto, got it, though.
                            • deekay@dfu.de
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jul 2, 2001
                                > "...which reminds me, I'm a big fan of the Labyrinth soundtrack with
                                > David Bowie as well, forgot to mention that. To be honest I probably
                                > wouldn't be as impressed with the music if it hadn't been attached to
                                > such a great film."
                                >
                                > Ditto, got it, though.

                                I'm having a private exchange with Stuart about this film, and there's some interesting trivia that
                                some of you might consider interesting:

                                The film (made in 1986) features an Owl Animation in the beginning that was completely
                                computer generated! Considering the widely acclaimed Luxor Jr. from PIXAR was released in the
                                same year this is pretty interesting, since the Owl Animation is far more advanced and much
                                harder to do (it was pretty much life-like, had textures, bump/displacement maps, mirrors
                                (raytracing?) and so on, all of which Luxor Jr. didn't have!). The credits quote a company called
                                'Digital Productions' for the intro sequence.. Tron, however, was four years earlier, but that one
                                was as far from the Owl animation as Wolfenstein 3D is from Quake3! <:-)

                                Funny thing is, that the highly acclaimed Industrial Light and Magic, who are known as one of
                                THE best Computer-generated Special-FX Company (if not THE best - they set landmarks in
                                CGI like Terminator 2, The Abyss and Jurassic Park!) only did the assumably non-computer
                                (back then!) matte paintings for Labyrinth! 8) They prolly got the hang of the whole thing when
                                they saw what Digital Productions did, maybe they even just "swallowed" the dudes that made it
                                or the company altogether, which seems pretty likely cause i haven't heard of Digital
                                Productions ever since! ;-D

                                Another interesting thing that noone seems to know is, that Terry Jones (of Monty Python fame)
                                was responsible for the screenplay, cause he was one of Britain's leading children's authors at
                                the time!

                                Well.. So much for the trivia.. Thanks for reading, and spread the word, so that people learn that
                                Luxor Jr. wasn't that much of a landmark as people generally say! >;-)

                                DeeKay
                              • stuart.bruce@aardman.com
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jul 3, 2001
                                  >I'm having a private exchange with Stuart about this film, and there's
                                  >some interesting trivia that
                                  >some of you might consider interesting:

                                  Talk about starting a wildly off-topic discussion... ah well.

                                  >The film (made in 1986) features an Owl Animation in the beginning that
                                  >was completely
                                  >computer generated!

                                  After a quick surf on the web I found this site:
                                  http://www.wam.umd.edu/~danf/engl/

                                  which shows, just for the sake of argument, that "Labyrinth" wasn't the
                                  first film to acheive something this impressive. "Young Sherlock Holmes",
                                  the previous year, had a computer-generated knight made out of stained
                                  glass chasing the main characters, which I'd forgotten about.

                                  >Another interesting thing that noone seems to know is, that Terry Jones
                                  >(of Monty Python fame) was responsible for the screenplay,

                                  As I mentioned in private e-mail, don't assume that "noone seems to know"
                                  before you even ask. I could've told you that off the top of my head. :-)

                                  >Well.. So much for the trivia.. Thanks for reading, and spread the word,
                                  >so that people learn that
                                  >Luxor Jr. wasn't that much of a landmark as people generally say! >;-)

                                  On the subject of Pixar, there's a new animation from Pixar based around
                                  birds on a telephone wire, and a strange world that comes along and tries
                                  to join their gang. I can't remember what it's called but check it out,
                                  it's brilliant.

                                  Stuart.