Its not mine,honest!!!

  • Tim Healings
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 26, 2001
      I was reading the members charts,and was going to post my own but I
      kinda like certain things artists do but not others(much the same as
      everyone I suspect)so I concluded(except Hybrid)I dont really have
      any favourite artists,more millions and millions of favourite songs
      by millions of people.Anyway my Q? is,In my personal collection I
      have certain albums which make me think,Why the hell have I got
      this?yet I know deep down I think its good I hate to admit it.My
      perfect example is my Enya album(I can hear the laughter already).I
      was listening to it in work today in the belief that I would doubt
      the reason I ever bought it and go and have a labotomy,but I still
      thought Hmmmmm I quite like this in a weird sort of way.Does anyone
      on list have anything like this in their collections i.e.Things they
      want never disclosed-Go on for a laugh,shame yourselves.TIM(cant
      quite believe I just told 190 people with great musical knowledge
      that I have a fetish for Enya.Looking forward to Ally taking the piss
      especially).
    • Ally Shuttleworth
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 26, 2001
        Hehe...ok...my embarassing one's are: Kyle Minougue (I was young),
        Jason Donocan (see last one) and The Lighthouse Family! :)

        I was struggling to think of some bands / artists I like that aren't
        dancey...so, I'm at work at the moment, where I keep a few CDs - as
        we've got a big stereo (I work for a web agency)...here's what I can
        see infront of me...

        Currently listening to BT - Movement in Still Life

        Hybrid - Wider Angle, Hybrid - RAAP, Hybrid - Labyrinth set, Hybrid -
        ChamJam set, Hybrid - Other sets, Northern Exposure Expeditions,
        Northern Exposure 2, Way out West - Intensify Album Sampler,
        Renaissance (Pappa / Pilgrem), Faithless - Sunday 8pm, Photel -
        Solaris, Bugged Out - Justin Robertson, Imprint - Justin Robertson,
        Groove Armada - Northern Star, Groove Aramda - Vertigo, Danny
        Howells - Nocturnal Freq., Timo Maas - Music for the Masses, GU -
        Nick Warren, GU - Danny Howells, a few Distinct'ive complilations,
        Faithless - Reverence, Y3k, Y4k, Carl Cox - Non Stop, Gatecrasher
        (all of them, apart from red and black which are at home), Madonna -
        Erotica, Reactivate 16, Best of Reactivate, Leftfield - Rythm and
        Stealth, Leftfield - Leftism, Westbam - We'll Never Stop Living This
        Way, Sven Vath - Contact, Bjork - Post, Laurent Garnier -
        Unreasonable Behaviour.

        Phew!! I think a good 20 or so more CDs are on other people's desks
        too...my others are at home. I've just realised I buy too many CDs -
        got loads more on vinyl too. I have a problem.

        Ally
      • Philip Stewart
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 26, 2001
          --- Ally Shuttleworth <ally@...> wrote:
          > Phew!! I think a good 20 or so more CDs are on other
          > people's desks
          > too...my others are at home. I've just realised I
          > buy too many CDs -
          > got loads more on vinyl too. I have a problem.

          I bought four vinyls and PvD album today, and came
          close to buying much more ... I have a problem too
          (and it's called Central London record shops :-/ ).

          --
          From Phil
          Who has a little stack accumulating by his record deck
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 26, 2001
            On Tue 26 Jun, Philip Stewart wrote:
            > --- Ally Shuttleworth <ally@...> wrote:
            > > Phew!! I think a good 20 or so more CDs are on other people's desks
            > > too...my others are at home. I've just realised I buy too many CDs -
            > > got loads more on vinyl too. I have a problem.
            >
            > I bought four vinyls and PvD album today, and came close to buying
            > much more ... I have a problem too (and it's called Central London
            > record shops :-/ ).

            You guys don't know the *meaning* of a record-buying problem. This is a
            comment coming from somebody who went to University owning less than
            three hundred CDs and left University owning more than three thousand.
            Statistically that's about 7 a day. Even when you count the ones I got
            as promos for editing the student magazine, or the cheap bargain bin
            ones that I scoured for around Leeds, that's still a way to account for
            most of my student loans.

            As for regrets... not really. Among my collection are quite a number of
            CDs that the musical fashion police would use as a reason to lock me up
            for a very long time, but in most cases I bought them for at least some
            reason. Actually I'm so embarrassed by some of them that I won't be
            mentioning them... but personal favourites from a novelty record point
            of view include;
            The French Smurfs ("Le Schtrumpf") performing "Rhythm Of The Night";
            A Dutch children's TV presenter performing a Dutch version of Spice
            Girls' "Wannabe";
            A Wombles double album, given to me by the main Wombles composer/singer
            himself when I set up a drumkit for one of their performances (that's
            treasured);
            ...nah, that's it. I don't think I'll admit to any more. :-)

            Stuart.

            --
            Stuart Bruce
            stuart@...
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 26, 2001
              I regularly DJ weddings, and occasionally birthdays and school balls
              so I can easily claim that a lot of the stuff that I own is for "the
              work", but, truth be told, I seldom buy stuff I don't personally
              like, so, let the ridicule begin:

              John Denver's Greatest Hits (I'm sorry, I like 'Annie's Song')

              The Wombles - Remember You're a Womble (Regression therapy?)

              Kylie Minogue - Confide in Me (I'm not ashamed to say I liked all of
              Kylie's stuff from this period, 'Put Yourself in My Place', etc.)

              Prince Greatest Hits I, II & III (I get s**t for this all the time).

              ...and probably loads of other stuff that I can't think of right now
              (It's been one of those mornings, already). Basically pick a recent
              charting single and I probably have it.

              As far as the CD-holics Unanymous thing goes I have over 3000 CDs and
              at a very rough estimate have bought about 300 CD-singles in the last
              6 months.
            • Philip Stewart
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 27, 2001
                --- Stuart Bruce <hybrid-wow@...>
                wrote:
                > You guys don't know the *meaning* of a record-buying
                > problem. This is a
                > comment coming from somebody who went to University
                > owning less than
                > three hundred CDs and left University owning more
                > than three thousand.

                Sounds like a challenge :-)

                > Statistically that's about 7 a day. Even when you
                > count the ones I got
                > as promos for editing the student magazine, or the
                > cheap bargain bin
                > ones that I scoured for around Leeds
                > that's still a
                > way to account for
                > most of my student loans.

                Heh, thank you to Tower Records and their continual
                99p CD single clearance :-) ... everything else is
                costing me a fortune tho, as if student loan is ever
                enough anyway (I reckon next year's evaluation will
                say that I can have less than this year, which will
                probly give me about �20 a week to live off after rent
                - I spend more than that in records :-/ )

                As for regretful purchases, I'm currently listening to
                Delerium - Innocente, and am still trying to work out
                whether I regret it or not (I think the Deep Dish mix
                might have given it a reprieve)

                --
                From Phil
              • Ally Shuttleworth
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 27, 2001
                  > As for regretful purchases, I'm currently listening to
                  > Delerium - Innocente, and am still trying to work out
                  > whether I regret it or not (I think the Deep Dish mix
                  > might have given it a reprieve)

                  Spooky...I'm just listening to the Deep Dish remix of Delerium -
                  Innocente. I like it...I usually get quite bored of progressive
                  stuff, but this tune is niiiccceee...

                  Ally
                • Matthew Craig
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 27, 2001
                    >--- Stuart Bruce <hybrid-wow@...>
                    >wrote:
                    > > You guys don't know the *meaning* of a record-buying
                    > > problem. This is a
                    > > comment coming from somebody who went to University
                    > > owning less than
                    > > three hundred CDs and left University owning more
                    > > than three thousand.
                    >
                    >Sounds like a challenge :-)

                    I'd say "I'll take that challenge" but I think you guys have me beat - even
                    with the binge I've been on this week.

                    >As for regretful purchases, I'm currently listening to
                    >Delerium - Innocente, and am still trying to work out
                    >whether I regret it or not (I think the Deep Dish mix
                    >might have given it a reprieve)

                    LOL! Don't you know no remix of a Delerium song has ever (EVER!!) been
                    better than the original? ;)

                    --Matthew Craig (Flashpoint)
                  • Alan Duval
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 27, 2001
                      "LOL! Don't you know no remix of a Delerium song has ever (EVER!!)
                      been better than the original?"

                      Love Delerium though I do, and I DO, I think all of the remixes
                      of 'Silence' were very good, especially as they all highlighted
                      different aspects of the original and none really fall into the same
                      musical category as the original. Ferry's remix of 'Heaven's Earth'
                      was quite lovely, too, the Quay South (? some compass-point, or
                      other, anyway) Remix, on the other hand, was diabolical, but then
                      given that one half of that duo was responsible for Madison Avenue
                      (his name escapes me for the moment) it was unlikely to be a raging
                      success. Then there's the Rabbit in the Moon's Divine Gothic Disco
                      Mix & Dub of Euphoria (Firefly), very nice indeed, but then one would
                      expect little else of Christophere and Co., if in doubt check their
                      remix of Sarah McLachlan - superb:D
                    • Philip Stewart
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 27, 2001
                        --- Matthew Craig <mcraig00@...> wrote:
                        > LOL! Don't you know no remix of a Delerium song has
                        > ever (EVER!!) been
                        > better than the original? ;)

                        The vinyl I bought has just the Lost Witness and Deep
                        Dish mixes, and the Lost Witness mix certainly wasn't
                        worth the effort. Better than the Members Of Mayday
                        thing I bought (which was what I listented to directly
                        afterwards). Thank god for PVD's intervention on the b
                        side, is all I can say about that. Obviously Kriminal
                        - Loud n' Proud was the best purchase of the day :-)
                      • PimpN Jungle B*tch
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 27, 2001
                          I hate to admit that I owe the Limp Bizkit album... actually the first two
                          ::hangs head in shame::
                          but I gave one to my sister and the other one never gets played...

                          My friends think I'm weird cuz I like Jethro Tull.... so I rarely admit that
                          one... :oP

                          Kc

                        • Jitesh Mistry
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 28, 2001
                            Hey y'all

                            I'm going to take on this university challenge, when I get to UMIST, as my
                            collection is rather paltry, when it only started growing since July 99.
                            My collection is only worth �200, with my singles worth �90, with only one
                            Distinct'ive single, but only two Hybrid
                            remixes (well three if you count the two BT remixes).

                            The fact is that of my albums, I've only bought 1 of them, the rest have
                            been bought for me, by either my sisters, or my parents. Nice, huh?

                            Anybody know any decent places in Manchester where I can buy records?

                            On a final note, have the remixes of Theme From Wide Angle been
                            discontinued?? About three copies were sitting in vinyl section of HMV in
                            Bradford, and I went in on Tuesday and they are longer there. I'm aware
                            it's a
                            limited edition.

                            Okay, I don't own a turntable but I was going to buy TFWA to keep, until I
                            got a turntable.

                            Later,
                            Jits.
                          • stuart.bruce@aardman.com
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 28, 2001
                              HybridUK@yahoogroups.com writes:
                              >Anybody know any decent places in Manchester where I can buy records?

                              You're in luck (musically) and you're in danger (financially); there are
                              *loads* of good record shops in Manchester, so much so that every once in
                              a while I travelled from York to Manchester just to record shop. There are
                              almost too many to list, but the cream of the crop in my opinion (for CDs)
                              includes:
                              - Vinyl Exchange (amazing shop- I've gone in there and bought 50 CDs in
                              one go in the past)
                              - Polar Bear Records
                              - The selection of shops in Afflecks Palace & The Colliseum (sp?) (two
                              hippy-type alternative shopping areas; where you go in Manchester if you
                              want to buy scented candles, novelty condoms, flared jeans with
                              hand-embroidered flowers on them, and bongs... oh yeah, and some promo CDs)
                              - HMV- the one on Market Street often gets in bucketloads of promo-only
                              12"s that really aren't meant to be for sale, and almost perpetually has a
                              99p sale on CD singles as well. Don't bother with Virgin or Our Price
                              though.
                              - Pop over to Stockport to go to Direct Zone Music if you're looking for
                              chart stuff; it only stocks chart albums & singles, but it stocks them at
                              very low prices.

                              Stuart.

                              --
                              Stuart Bruce
                              stuart.bruce@...
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 28, 2001
                                I'd like to add to that list, my friend's shop...

                                Eastern Bloc

                                Can't remember the address and they don't have a web site - but they
                                are very very good and are quite well known.
                              • Stu Bruise
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jun 29, 2001
                                  On 28 Jun 2001, at 7:16, Jitesh Mistry wrote:

                                  > Anybody know any decent places in Manchester where I can buy records?

                                  Vinyl Exchange; that's where I spent all my student money ;) It's
                                  just off Picadilly (down the street with Nobles' Amusements on the
                                  corner) and they have loads of promos and stuff in there at decent
                                  prices. You've also got Picadilly Records near there, which sells
                                  mostly indie and stuff (but with a nicely-stocked dance vinyl
                                  selection) and Eastern Bloc too

                                  ~~stu.