Re: [HybridUK] Kid 2000: first impressions

  • Arfie Mansfield
    Message 1 of 13 , May 23, 2000
      >Having just gotten back from two weeks away, I bought Hybrid's "Kid
      >2000" single this morning. First impressions? Sorry, but I think this
      >is the worst Hybrid single so far.

      Now there's a surprise! ;) Considering the previous singles
      where 2 absolute masterpeices, and Kid 2000 was a novelty record banged
      off because a fan asked them to. Think about it - FS had the original
      and Echoplex mixes, and IIS had the WOW mixes, which have to be among
      the best tunes ever. Kid 2000 is the best anyone could manage given such
      a bad starting point.

      >I'm not convinced about whether Chrissie Hynde's voice sits on the
      >track, I think some of the programming is quite uninspired by Hybrid
      >standards, and I think the Kayestone mix is a bit weak to boot.

      Too trance-y

      >The artwork is nothing special and neither is the promotion. It might
      >grow on me, but I would've preferred something else. Roll on the next
      >'proper' Hybrid release.

      Has anyone noticed any similarities between TF'WA' and Xpander?
      Same sort of style, IMO.
    • Davin Greenwell
      Message 2 of 13 , May 23, 2000
        On Tue, 23 May 2000, Arfie Mansfield wrote:

        > Has anyone noticed any similarities between TF'WA' and Xpander?
        > Same sort of style, IMO.

        No, I haven't noticed any sort of similar style. TFWA is a breakbeat 4/4
        thriller, whereas Xpander is entirely trancey. Xpander's main idea is
        re-exploration of the main theme, whereas TFWA does the opposite, it
        starts off hard and industrial, takes you up, and mellows you out without
        any re-exploration at all. Not to mention the arpegiation in TFWA is
        nowhere to be found in Xpander, in fact, nothing else is at all! Where do
        you draw the 'same sort of style' bit from? That Dave Seaman will play
        both of them in the same set?

        Interested in hearing back from you on this,

        Davin
        --
        (dj) arizona
        davin greenwell
        Message 3 of 13 , May 25, 2000
          >>Having just gotten back from two weeks away, I bought Hybrid's "Kid
          >>2000" single this morning. First impressions? Sorry, but I think this
          >>is the worst Hybrid single so far.

          You obiously haven't heard Experiment IV yet! ;o)

          Ally
        • David Pauls
          Message 4 of 13 , May 25, 2000
            Hey!!! I happen to like Experiment IV ... dont bag on it! ...

            Dave

            > >>Having just gotten back from two weeks away, I bought Hybrid's "Kid
            > >>2000" single this morning. First impressions? Sorry, but I think this
            > >>is the worst Hybrid single so far.
            >
            > You obiously haven't heard Experiment IV yet! ;o)
            >

            > Ally

            > Missing old school friends? Find them here:

            > USEFUL LINKS
            >
            > Distinctive Records - Hybrid's record label - featuring video clips, sound
            and you can buy some Hybrid tunes here!
            > http://www.distinctiverecords.com
            >
            > Hybrid Fan Site : Find out the latest news about Hybrid and related
            artists

            > Breaksworld : Breakbeat news, reviews, tunes, DJ mixes, charts and loads
            more.
            > http://www.breaksworld.com/

          • Arfie Mansfield
            Message 5 of 13 , May 26, 2000
              >No, I haven't noticed any sort of similar style. TFWA is a breakbeat
              >4/4 thriller, whereas Xpander is entirely trancey.

              Xpander is *not* trancey.

              >Where do you draw the 'same sort of style' bit from?

              Same key, similar tune.
            • Davin Greenwell
              Message 6 of 13 , May 26, 2000
                On Fri, 26 May 2000, Arfie Mansfield wrote:

                > >No, I haven't noticed any sort of similar style. TFWA is a breakbeat
                > >4/4 thriller, whereas Xpander is entirely trancey.
                >
                > Xpander is *not* trancey.

                What ??? I wont even bother here..

                > >Where do you draw the 'same sort of style' bit from?
                >
                > Same key, similar tune.

                Uh huh. Umm, nevermind.
                Message 7 of 13 , May 27, 2000
                  >> Xpander is *not* trancey.
                  >
                  >What ??? I wont even bother here..

                  It's Progressive, but it isn't trancey.

                  >>>Where do you draw the 'same sort of style' bit from?
                  >>
                  >> Same key, similar tune.
                  >
                  >Uh huh. Umm, nevermind.

                  No, really, they are similar.
                • Davin Greenwell
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 28, 2000
                    On Sat, 27 May 2000, Arfie Mansfield wrote:

                    > >> Xpander is *not* trancey.
                    > >
                    > >What ??? I wont even bother here..
                    >
                    > It's Progressive, but it isn't trancey.

                    The melodies, the re-exploration of theme, the construction all points to
                    trance. If that is -not- trance, what in the hell is?

                    > >> Same key, similar tune.
                    > >
                    > >Uh huh. Umm, nevermind.
                    >
                    > No, really, they are similar.

                    Sure,

                    nevermind that Hybrid's Theme from Wide Angle starts off with an
                    industrial breakbeat, breaks into a tubular bell / triangle groove,
                    progresses once but does not re-explore, breaks down into an underworld
                    like breather before mellowing into a soothing breakbeat with a GUITAR on
                    top of it.

                    Explain how this is similar to any one part of Xpander, where the chaos
                    happens near the END of the song, not the beginning.. I mean, as a DJ,
                    you can play tracks however you like, but IMHO Xpander is a stoker
                    something you'd play before a really big choon, whereas Theme From Wide
                    Angle is an energy level peak out -- something you'd play AFTER a really
                    banging tune, er choon, which, of course, is the opposite of a stoker.

                    You know what, it doesn't even matter anyways, we're arguing for no
                    reason. What I've stated above is my opinion and you're entitled to
                    agree, disagree, or altogether ignore it -- but that's what this list is
                    for, to discuss crap like this. <grin> So if you think they're alike,
                    cool. They're not for me though, and that is why.

                    *smile*

                    davin
                    --
                    (dj) arizona
                    davin greenwell
                    email: wk805@...
                    web: http://arizona.rave.victoria.bc.ca
                    ICQ: 11230795
                  • Crocuta
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 28, 2000
                      Davin Greenwell wrote:

                      > > >What ??? I wont even bother here..
                      > >
                      > > It's Progressive, but it isn't trancey.
                      >
                      > The melodies, the re-exploration of theme, the construction all points to
                      > trance. If that is -not- trance, what in the hell is?

                      Can anyone point me to some webpages that in YOUR opinion give GOOD
                      explanations of the "difference" and main theme (er..whatever word means
                      'what the song does')between Trance, Progressive.. and while I'm at it..
                      House, Jungle, etc etc..
                      about the only style I can easily recognize is GOA trance...which I
                      don't even know if it's a separate genera than the rest...

                      I've always been confused on those points.. even tho I feel this really
                      isn't the forum for this discussion (since it's not a generic
                      trance/techno etc list) .. that's why I'm asking for websites or even
                      personal emails about this. Don't wanna fill up everyone's mailbox with
                      things they already know.. or opinions they didn't want ;)
                      Thanks :)

                      Thanks for any light you can shed.

                      -Crocuta